Thread: eikaiwa

Default eikaiwa

I just thought I would post this for us alternates thinking of applying for one of the major eikaiwa schools as a backup plan. Its a chart that lists all the major differences and similarities between them. Some of the salary info seems a bit outdated, but I thought it might still be helpful!

http://www.all-about-teaching-englis.../nova-geos.pdf

Thanks KS! This chart is just what I needed to decide where I want to submit my backup applications. Time to do all that now I guess. One way or another I want to go to Japan. I just wanted the JET route because it would have been more flexible and in a true school environment. Oh well.

Actually, that website in general is pretty useful. It provides a whole bunch of stuff about teaching English n Japan, interview tips, finding an apartment, learning Japanese, etc.

Might be worth a look

http://www.all-about-teaching-english-in-japan.com/

so why is berlitz supposed to be the best when they have an average salary, dont pay your airfare...i guess they do give you a pretty good bonus if you recontract but?

I think it's their actual pedagogy and teaching theory that got them that tag - not their pay or anything else, in which regards they're actually worse than some. Though I could be talking out of my ass.

For us alternates who are considering going with an eikaiwa if we don't get upgraded, I was wondering what eikaiwa do you think you will go with and why.

VIP

$$ is a factor for me. That 50000 yen a month I won't be getting anywhere else was going to go straight to paying off some debt. I guess I could just not be that ambitious about getting that out of the way, but I am. It's only cost me more the more I've ignored it.

So I'm kind of starting to think about Korea.

On average, how much do most English teachers make in Korea?

VIP

It has more to do with the cost of living being substantially lower, and housing and airfare being almost universally included.

Natsume!!! Don't advertise Korea!!

(which is a waaaaay better deal financially, by the way)

More competition is the last thing I need.

My advice is go to Korea or a Japper eikawa if you want to teach but JET didn't come through.

JET is really awesome for people who just want a break from work or want to fuck around in a foreign country, or like Japan because jet has good pay and conditions. Eikawas have dodgy working hours and shit pay and coniditions which will limit your enjoyment of other stuff.

If you want the experience of teaching go and teach JET or no JET but if you just want to be a punk on a lark wait till next year to apply again for JET or wait to be upgraded.

Really? I'm kinda coming into JET thinking it's a real job, 40 hours and what not, but the more I read this board, it's kinda sounding a little kushy and easy going...which I'm all about. It's like somebody said in another thread...if you keep your expectations low, you'll never be disappointed.
    Yatta, bitch! Yatta!

Quote Originally Posted by natsume
    $$ is a factor for me. That 50000 yen a month I won't be getting anywhere else was going to go straight to paying off some debt. I guess I could just not be that ambitious about getting that out of the way, but I am. It's only cost me more the more I've ignored it.

You can always do some under the table private tutoring for extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by keekers

You can always do some under the table private tutoring for extra cash.
    Or you could do some on top of the table work for a lot more money... but then you could do that where ever you go.

Quote Originally Posted by kotatsu-sama
    On average, how much do most English teachers make in Korea?
    When I was applying to JET I was thinking of Korea as a back-up if I didn't get in. I found an ad on a bulletin board at my university and started looking around. If I remember correctly, they paid about the same a JET did, but they guaranteed you a free apartment in a large city and the cost of living was significantly lower. Over all, taking into account renumeration and cost of living, I've heard that Korea is paying the best in Asia for untrained (i.e. not trained/certified teachers) English teachers at the moment.

I think the fact that people would teach in Korea as an alternative to JET is interesting.

I'm doing JET because I want to go to Japan. Not because I'm crazy about teaching. Along with the JET option, I was looking into doing public relations or advertising in Tokyo.

It just happened that JET is a really good package, and it's a good way for me to work in a substantially less high-pressure job for a few years before my brain pops.

Before applying to teach in Korea you should read this first.

http://englishschoolwatch.org/quotes_recruiter1.shtml

http://englishschoolwatch.org/quotes_employer1.shtml

EPIK has been brought up before and they seem to be the best deal around. It's their JET equivalent.

http://epik.knue.ac.kr/

I'm still thinking about Interac, and I have also begun to think about Korea. I was looking into EPIK, after I applied to Interac, since it seems like the same deal as JET.