Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamagata - ken peeps

Default Yamagata - ken peeps

Do not be offended that I have now labeled you a marginally delicious and ever so not nutritious easter staple. Just think of all the colors, yeah?

Welcome to Yamagata-ken. Please post any questions related to Yamagata-ken here, or if you are so inclined to secrecy please feel free to PM me. I will be the PA next year for Shonai, don't worry you'll learn about the regions soon enough, so don't be alarmed I have mad lock box keeping skills.

Hajimemashite!

Did I come on too strong? Or...are all of the people coming to Yamagata-ken afraid of the internet? Such as hicks, I'm from Arkansas so..., or old people?

I'm intrigued...and confused...

Hey Fadeindreams, I have my fingers crossed that I'll be placed in Yamagata, since it's Boulder's sister city. I was there once, briefly, and thought it was pretty cool. Takayama would be cool too. Or... well, anywhere would be pretty sweet. Maybe you haven't gotten any response back yet because Denver/Salt Lake JETs haven't gotten our placements yet. Here's hoping we find out tomorrow.

Hey - found out I'm in Yamagata-ken come august. I'm going to be in Nanyo City, which is the largest producer in Japan of Cherries so the authority that is Wikipedia tells me (how useful!) I just wondered what the sense of JET community was like in the ken? I can't seem to find a JET yamagata website or owt. Are there lots of JETs in the prefecture or not? Merci!

Sakegawa Village, good or bad? Cos all I'm finding is the description: 'agricultural mountain village' which is kind of scary! Any info would be greatly appreciated! XX

Quote Originally Posted by ukmaestro
    Hey - found out I'm in Yamagata-ken come august. I'm going to be in Nanyo City, which is the largest producer in Japan of Cherries so the authority that is Wikipedia tells me (how useful!) I just wondered what the sense of JET community was like in the ken? I can't seem to find a JET yamagata website or owt. Are there lots of JETs in the prefecture or not? Merci!
    http://www.japan-101.com/photos/showimage.php?i=54993

I live in Sakata which is in the Shonai region. In Shonai we have a pretty awesome sense of community. Where you are I really don't know... I know a lot of the JETs around there are awesome people though. There are some quality people in Yamagata-shi and the Yonezawa region.

There are around 70 JETs in Yamagata. Our new AJET president is trying to get more involvement this year. We're working on getting a more effective listserv together through Google groups. Anyway, yeah, I like my community in Yamagata-ken. Yours will be what you make of it!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLuck21
    Sakegawa Village, good or bad? Cos all I'm finding is the description: 'agricultural mountain village' which is kind of scary! Any info would be greatly appreciated! XX
    Alright, looking at the map link I posted I'll try to describe where Sakegawa is...

It's directly south of Mamurogawa and east of Shinjo. It's about 45 mins from Sakata/Tsuruoka to Shinjo. From Shinjo to Yamagata city is about 1 hour and 15 mins.

That area is beautiful. Where the Sakegawa river comes into the Mogami river is really gorgeous. Hiking abound in that area.

I'm going to guess that your nearest train station is Masukata. You're also close to Uzen-Zenami and Shinjo. Use www.hyperdia.com to figure out how to get from there to wherever you want to go.

Shinjo has a shinkansen stop so you're gold there. I have to travel to Shinjo just to take the shink, so in that you're lucky

Shinjo has a Yamaya for your foreign food needs. I'm sure you're pred, who is a really nice guy, will be happy to help you with all of that!

Any questions? I'm here to help

Thanks for the info, You're a star! Its been really unnerving not being able to find anything out. I asked for an urban placement but that has obviously been disregarded completely! The only other big question I have is... will I have to drive? Cos I was really hoping not but the early signs don't look good! Sakegawa does appear to have a train station (Uzen-Toyosato) but from the pictures I've seen it doesn't really look that 'connected' :?:
    Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

Yeah thats ace. I'm all up for where I've been placed just can't wait to get there! And we seem to be a decent place to either Sendai or Tokyo by the looks of it.

And we seem to be a decent place to either Sendai or Tokyo by the looks of it.
    hey yamagata folks, i've been placed in sendai city, miyagi... i'll be living and working in a big city... bigger than what i am used to... just thought i'd say hello since yamagata is adjacent/ west of miyagi... would definitely like to visit yamagata prefecture in the near future... hurrahhh for tohoku region!!!

cheers!!

Thanks for the info, You're a star! Its been really unnerving not being able to find anything out. I asked for an urban placement but that has obviously been disregarded completely! The only other big question I have is... will I have to drive? Cos I was really hoping not but the early signs don't look good! Sakegawa does appear to have a train station (Uzen-Toyosato) but from the pictures I've seen it doesn't really look that 'connected' :?:
    Well, there are JETs without cars, however, I couldn't live without one and I live in one of the nicer cities of the ken.

I'd absolutely recommend getting a car. Try grabbing one off one of the leaving JETs.

Also, the train line that runs by Sakegawa is actually fairly well connected and if you were to go to Shinjo you could take the shink to Tokyo...

It's really, I think, quite a nice area but it's not at all urban.

Looks like I'll be getting a car then! Not a problem... I guess I can add 'driving in Japan' to my list of new experiences! Xx
    Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

Yaay, Nanyo!

Kinda near me.

I hope you are a social person!

I drove near there the other day....you are gonna be pretty inaka!!

I hate bumping threads but...

well it seems I'm one of few that got Yamagata. Not even close to any of my requests, but it seems really nice. Anyone else get it?

Haha, I remember this thread from a year ago! Crazy! Yamagata is great, I wouldn't say there are that many JETs but we're pretty close and have a nice community together. I don't know Higashine too well, but its not too rural and not too far from Yamagata City - I think it has a Shinkansen stop at it too! See you in a few months!

Hello! I was directed here by a couple of nice people who answered my Yamagata thread (sorry to step on your toes, I obviously didn't read far back enough )
    I have been placed in Tendo-shi this Jet term, Hajimemashite!

Quote Originally Posted by Mort
    Hello! I was directed here by a couple of nice people who answered my Yamagata thread (sorry to step on your toes, I obviously didn't read far back enough )
    I have been placed in Tendo-shi this Jet term, Hajimemashite!
    DUDE! your in Tendo!!! I used to live there!! Home of Japanese Shogi!
    OK, Quick Advice:

1) Learn Shogi (Chess) and play with the old men in the station. Their hilarious!
    2) Make sure you go to Tendo Park, you can bike there. It's very nice. Next to it is Tsutaya and a hundred yen sushi joint. It's on the other side of the mountain so I didn't discover it for a while.
    3) BUN BUN BOOKS: Awesome little store. If you continue down (heading towards the station) and swing a right you will find a Foreign Food store.
    4)Go to Yamadera
    It's a nice placement! Enjoy! Hangout in Yamagata shi and visit Sendai on the weekends(bus from Tendo to Sendai is a really nice ride)

HI! I am in Murayama-shi starting in August.

I've been told it's the soba noodle capital of the universe.

I am going to get very fat on soba noodles, I feel.