Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamagata - ken peeps

I like Murayama but I had no idea it had anything to do with soba...thanks for teaching me something new.

I've gotten a lot of PMs from people asking questions, which is really cool, but ya'll can also ask questions here so you can share the answers! I'll check this thread a couple of times everyday whilst at work - right now I have nothing better to do anyway! It's midterm exam time which means I've been made unnecessary.

I have to admit that a lot of my interest in the incoming JETs this year is selfish. One of you incoming prefectural JETs will be my replacement. It's been a great two years living in Yamagata.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort
    Hello! I was directed here by a couple of nice people who answered my Yamagata thread (sorry to step on your toes, I obviously didn't read far back enough )
    I have been placed in Tendo-shi this Jet term, Hajimemashite!
    Hey! Just to add to the pressure a bit....Your predecessor is a fantastic person who has been in Tendo for five years. You have a lot to live up to!

Another one

http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/%7Eyuko2000/

The online version of the book, 'A Guide To Beautiful Yamagata'.

This book has been really really handy for me!

Default New Sakata, Yamagata ALT

i'll be starting my job as an alt in sakata, yamagata in august. just wondering if anyone knows who my predecessor is? also, any help regarding weather, clothing (work and casual), and living conditions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Default Re: New Sakata, Yamagata ALT

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler
    i'll be starting my job as an alt in sakata, yamagata in august. just wondering if anyone knows who my predecessor is? also, any help regarding weather, clothing (work and casual), and living conditions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
    I would know your predecessor but I don't know who it is, were you an alternate? When did you find out you were coming to Sakata? You're a JET right?

Yes, I'm a JET. I'm not an alternate... I was short-listed right away. I think I found out I was coming to Sakata in May? I just received my BoE contract today. I've been told that there are currently 4 JET's in Sakata and my predecessor lived there for 3 years, if that helps? I haven't heard anything from him/her yet (1 month away), so I'm getting a little concerned. Any info. regarding Sakata, the BoE, job details, weather, living conditions, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sakata:

Cold in the winter. Lots of snow and wind. Perfect for skiiing/snowboarding if you're into that. Otherwise bitterly damn cold.

Hot and humid in the summer. Lasts forever and when you come in August it'll be at its hottest. Do NOT wear a suit when you get off that plane, for the love of God. Wear something sensible. It's awful.

Fall is nice weather but you can't tell it's autumn cause there are no trees...anywhere. Well, that's a bit of a stretch but compared to an American city there are so few it hurts. Head to the mountains and you'll be rewarded. Stunning views to be had on Chokai during October.

Spring is wonderful, in fact, it is still wonderful and pseudo springlike right now. Cherry blossoms in Hiyoriyama park are beautiful but in the two years I've lived here, I'm leaving in August as well, it's 100% always rained during hanami time.

I know nothing about the BOE, as I work for the prefecture, but most people seem to enjoy it just fine. Your job will be with JHS and some elementary students. As for living conditions, that depends on the apartment you're given. If given your preds apartment then I'd say great but a little expensive.

Err...yeah. I've loved living in Sakata. If you've got any specific questions go ahead and ask me.

they've told me i'll be staying homestaying with a family for the first few days after tokyo, while they clean my pred's apartment. i think it works out to be $526 a month for rent... well above what i thought i'd be paying.

1. how "furnished" are the apartments they give us?
    2. what's the mandatory or suggested work attire while at schools in sakata?
    3. what's the typical work load for an alt like in sakata?
    4. how expensive/cheap are things (food, clothing, electronics, entertainment, etc.) in sakata/yamagata?
    5. how did you get to and from your job(s) (buy/rent a car, bus, bike)?
    6. do most people speak some english in sakata/yamagata?
    7. any hints/tips for me for my first few weeks in japan / yamagata / sakata?

thanks a lot, i really appreciate the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler
    they've told me i'll be staying homestaying with a family for the first few days after tokyo, while they clean my pred's apartment. i think it works out to be $526 a month for rent... well above what i thought i'd be paying.

ESID!! BoE JETs in Sakata seems to pay alot for their places, but they are nice places...

1. how "furnished" are the apartments they give us?

Usually the basics like a washing machine, fridge, TV etc. Your predecessor has quite a lot of stuff which he will probably leave for you.

2. what's the mandatory or suggested work attire while at schools in sakata?

Pants, shirt, tie...

3. what's the typical work load for an alt like in sakata?

Depends on the school. JHS ALTs seem to be busier than high school ALTs.

4. how expensive/cheap are things (food, clothing, electronics, entertainment, etc.) in sakata/yamagata?

Same as everywhere else in Japan.
    Sakata has a Yamaya! For all your alcohol and some overseas food needs.

5. how did you get to and from your job(s) (buy/rent a car, bus, bike)?

Car or bike. Your predecessor has both.

6. do most people speak some english in sakata/yamagata?

Sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised and meet someone who is fluent. But don't count on your students or co-workers knowing much.

7. any hints/tips for me for my first few weeks in japan / yamagata / sakata?

Go out and explore your town. Go to the welcome parties. Wear lots of deodorant.

thanks a lot, i really appreciate the info.

Default Re: Yamagata - ken peeps

I imagine placements will be coming out before long, so any new Yamagata folk feel free to hit me up with any questions about the prefecture.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: Yamagata - ken peeps

I can throw my two cents in here as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.