Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyogo-ken

Default Hyogo-ken

Get into the best prefecture in Japan? Well, it has the most JET's at least. Not to mention Kobe and Osaka at our disposal, with the Naked Man Festival not too far away in Okayama in February, and Kyoto the same distance in the other direction. Did you know that Hyogo is the only prefecture in Honshu that touches both seas? the more you know... Yea Hyogo Rocks!

If you have been selected to be awesome and live in Hyogo sign in here.

Kobe was my third choice and a lot of people from Seattle seem to go to Hyogo so... *crosses fingers*

Default Hyogo bound...

Got the notification yesterday that I am headed for Hyogo-ken, Asago-shi. Placement requests went as such: Hyogo, Nara, Osaka. So I guess I got my first choice. Coming out of San Francisco. Do you know much about Asago, pro?

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Asago - 2 and a half hours from Osaka - fairly rural but good public transport. Very pretty, but quite cold in winter. It actually used to be four separate towns that were merged a few years ago. Here's the official website. It's in Japanese, but you can look at the pics if, like me, your Japanese isn't up to reading it.
    http://www.city.asago.hyogo.jp/
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Asago - 2 and a half hours from Osaka - fairly rural but good public transport. Very pretty, but quite cold in winter. It actually used to be four separate towns that were merged a few years ago. Here's the official website. It's in Japanese, but you can look at the pics if, like me, your Japanese isn't up to reading it.
    http://www.city.asago.hyogo.jp/
    hey, thanks wicket... you've been there before?

I actually don`t know Asago, but I will look it up for you and see if I can find someone in the town. I`ll pm you their email if I can find it.

Congrats on the awesome prefecture placement though!

I received my placement this week and I've been assigned to Kobe-shi. I had been bracing myself for an "inaka experience" for so long that I'm still a little dizzied by this new information.

I am curious though, are there any areas within Kobe-shi that would be considered more suburban than urban? Or is it pretty much a concrete jungle (read: my natural habitat)?

I just got my package in the mail today, and it looks like I am off to Kobe-shi as well! I am so excited. Everything that I have read about Kobe so far is very, very positive. What do you guys know about Kobe?!

WOOHOO!

So far every Japanese person I know has had something different to say about Kobe, and all of them have been overwhelmingly positive:

- Interesting history as trading port city - there's a significant expatriate community (I know the Canadian Academy is located in the area), access to foreign imports, a tiny Chinatown, etc... Just in case you feel the dire need to speak your native tongue to someone beyond a basic "oh how are you the weather is nice" level.

- Being in such an environment means you will have a little more anonymity and not the rockstar/alien status JETs experience in the inaka, which depending on what you're looking for can be positive or negative.

- 1995 Earthquake resulted in significant reconstruction in the area, so a lot of the city is shiny and new; On the other hand, again, the "ijinkan" is in this area, and Kyoto and Nara are not far off as historical culture centers. And there's supposed to be quite an onsen district in the area too.

- As mentioned, access to Kansai and Shikoku from Kobe is a-okay. And Kansai Intl Airport is across the water, so lots of exploration options even outside of Japan! I think there's also a ferry/cruise that heads out from Kobe to Okinawa, which = Awesome.

I'm sure there's a lot more but right now my head cannot process everything I've been told, I'm still so thrown by getting this placement. Definitely not what I expected, but in the best way possible!

Here's a thread from BD with some info on Kobe:

http://www.bigdaikon.org/board/viewt...hlight=kobeshi

Thanks for all of the info, Qimaki! Sounds like you're as excited about this placement as I am. Which orientation group are you in?

I'm in Group A leaving from Seattle on 7/28. How about you? I'm guessing we will be lumped together during the Tokyo orientation or at the very latest when we head down to Hyogo.

And then there's Yashiro - http://www.geocities.com/hyogo_pa/yashiro.html

The conferences, they are never-ending!

I'm in group A too, so I'll see you in Tokyo! And even if the orientations turn out to be useless, it'll still be a good time to meet a bunch of people. Can't wait!

I just found out that I'm going to Asago-shi in Hyogo-ken. I'm excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Veebles
    I just found out that I'm going to Asago-shi in Hyogo-ken. I'm excited.
    hey veebles... looks like we're headed in the same direction. i'm hyogo-ken, asago-shi bound as well. hit me back!

I just found that my placement is in Sasayama-shi. Is anyone else there or going there? Or...know anything about it?

Hey Asago-shi folks, welcome to Tajima! It`s the rural, inaka part of the prefecture, but if you`re going to live in Tajima then Asago is the easiest part to escape from to go enjoy urban life now and then.

Yay, I'm headed off to Hyogo-ken as well! As for which city/village, I'm not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti_Cul
    I just found that my placement is in Sasayama-shi. Is anyone else there or going there? Or...know anything about it?
    My high school Japanese teacher was on JET back in the 80s and was placed there. My HS Japanese class also stayed in Sasayama for a week on a homestay. You'll probably teach at Homei high school.

Its a really cool place. You're about 1.5 hours drive from Kobe, and 1 hour by train from Amagasaki, which is the gateway to everything Kansai has to offer (as far as Sasayama is concerned).

I'm in rural Nara--Tenkawa village, so I don't normally check this thread. Hit me up with a PM if you want more info.

Nice placement

Quote Originally Posted by Ti_Cul

HEYYYY!!!!! WELCOME TO SASAYAMA!!!!!!!!! WOOOO!!!!!

There are only 2 newbies coming, so now that we have found you we just need one more. Check your PM's!

:-)

Hmm, I just received a package from my CO (Kobe City Board of Education), which included a contract, statement of agreement, and Pre-Departure Guide compiled by other JETs.

The mystery is what I'm supposed to do with the contents. There's no cover letter, and nowhere does it say that I'm supposed to sign and return the statement of agreement, so are we supposed to hang onto it until we get to Tokyo or sign and mail it back immediately? Anyone else get something similar in the mail?