Thread: I am a moron

Default I am a moron

I considered PMing someone to hide my moronness, but just in case any other morons want to know...

How do you do kana in phpbb? I won't even attempt kanji yet.

I've searched the FAQ, I did a search of the forums, but I guess it wasn't specific enough.

So yeah. Arigato gosaimasu.

A Japanese keyboard is very convenient. There's a button that allows you to switch input method from "direct input" (ie English) to Kana-input. Using a western keyboard you need to click on the language bar and change it manually. Even though I've lived back in Australia for 2 years, I still love and use my Japanese keyboard.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

actually you dont have to use the language bar (well you dont have to click it anyhow)

ALT + Shift will switch between languages ( i have japanese chinese and english on mine) then ALT + ~ will change between japanese or english imput......so usually i just keep mine on JP and switch between english or hiragana imput and it is all sweet, no language bar needed....
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Yeah, if you have Windows XP the japanese language pack should be able to install itself (without set-up disc) when you go to the regional/language settings. try clicking around and see what happens? install asian language pack, input methods, add, japanese ime.. something like that. sorry I'm not more helpful.

if you have something older than xp try googling "microsoft japanese ime" and it should take you to a download page. install & you're good.

And some links/info for the other folks. But now I've switched to sKim and love it :-)
    Who's your user, program?

And how would I do this on my MacBook? (Sorry for being technologically inept.)

Left hand corner Apple.
    System Preferences.
    International.
    Input Menu.
    Check Kotoeri.
    Personally, I just select Hiragana (you can still do katakana via holding down shift while typing)
    And voila! Let me know if you have any other questions.
    The woman expresses her gratitude and goes back to Pope's house and sleeps with him.

ありがとう

縦も いい!
    私野名前わヘザです!私の日本語わと他もだめよ!

All right that's enough of that I'm just so thrilled to have found out that I can write in Japanese with my computer whooo! Thanks revenant!

Quote Originally Posted by heatherG
    縦も いい!
    私野名前わヘザです!私の日本語わと他もだめよ!

All right that's enough of that I'm just so thrilled to have found out that I can write in Japanese with my computer whooo! Thanks revenant!
    was that supposed to be like a riddle? i mean it almost makes sence if you read it phoneticly.....

Quote Originally Posted by markteacher80
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherG
    縦も いい!
    私野名前わヘザです!私の日本語わと他もだめよ!

was that supposed to be like a riddle? i mean it almost makes sence if you read it phoneticly.....
    haha, that was actually kind of fun. We should make a whole thread out of that...though it would probably defeat the purpose of helping people study Japanese on this forum.

祖列輪儺目戸尾喪鵜
    The woman expresses her gratitude and goes back to Pope's house and sleeps with him.

”それはだめと思う” ????

this is hard.....

When you switch a computer to Japanese, is it easy to switch it back (i.e. switch the language region, right?)

This summer will be visiting home and would rather not take my laptop. If I can switch my mum's computer without any negative effect for her, that would be very convenient.
    I have a black piano and a red car. Life is good.

az

Yeah it's way easy.

Az, I assume you are answering me? But what happens when you switch? Can you just switch the language, or do you automatically have to switch the region as well? My husband mentioned that, for example if you wanted to play a DVD or something, the computer is set up to only allow switching 5 times, and then the last one becomes the permanent region. If that is the same for the language question, then it would be a problem for mother obviously.

Also, if you go to the control panel and switch the language to Japanese, does that mean everything comes up in Japanese (messages in windows etc)?

Perhaps I should ask a different question. Is there a way to write Japanese on a US-bought computer with an English language OS without switching the language settings in the control panel? (My husband is hoping to be able to continue updating his blog while we are state-side.)

it doesn't switch your entire computer, it just is a little toggle that allows you to choose to type in japanese/english/chinese/russian/whatever you so choose. if the computer is an english computer, it will all stay english. in the language settings, you will not be choosing to change your computer's language. you will just be adding the ability to type japanese.

the language settings will not be connected to your computer's region code.

Thanks for clearing that up Paul and Sarita! :smt007

やった!

It actually took me a while to get it to work- but thanks!