Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you study kanji?

Default How do you study kanji?

If you study Japanese, you study kanji. I wish I could plug in a program Matrix-style and just have them all memorized, but unfortunately it's not that simple.

I basically use a slight variation of this. It works amazingly. Basically you're bound to forget kanji, so this way forces you to revisit kanji you've studied periodically.

How do you all study kanji?

It is good.
    The woman expresses her gratitude and goes back to Pope's house and sleeps with him.

hmmm yeah. i don't study kanji or vocabulary. somehow i learn them? i have made flashcards but i end up making them and then never looking at them again.

if i have time i will look up every unknown word/kanji in whatever i'm reading. eventually i get so sick of looking up the same ones so my brain is forced to learn them. knowing some chinese also helps.

Quote Originally Posted by saritajuanita
    hmmm yeah. i don't study kanji or vocabulary. somehow i learn them? i have made flashcards but i end up making them and then never looking at them again.

if i have time i will look up every unknown word/kanji in whatever i'm reading. eventually i get so sick of looking up the same ones so my brain is forced to learn them. knowing some chinese also helps.

Everything you said. Though my knowledge of Chinese helped me out at first its not much good to me anymore because now know more japgo than Chinese. I could guess the chiense for certain kanji back in China though when talking to taxi drivers and stuff though recently from the Japanese reading. That was helpful.

Its good if you can find textbooks that don't mess around needlessly with kanji. So your normal Jap study should have as much kanji as possible and not just the hiragana for difficult words. If its furiganaed up that's good methinks because you just end up seeing the kanji over and over and recognising it in the street and what not.

Even better is to go and get some manga and just read. The pictures and the furigana helps my kanji no end. That's how you learned English so its not a bad idea of a way to learn Japanese similarly i reckon.

<deleted - absolutely not relevant to the post and NSFW>
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I try to integrate my Kanji into my grammar and vocab learning. I'll usually drill the Kanji stroke order 25 times or so across a couple of days (I have a good memory, which helps). Then once I'm confident that I know the Kanji, I try and use newer ones in my other Japanese practice.

I also used to drill kanji in the morning with flash cards. I'd have a check list and once I got the same one right 3 times I'd count it as "known" and put it in a different pile. I've been planning a programme to do the same. Making flashcards is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Saben
    I try to integrate my Kanji into my grammar and vocab learning. I'll usually drill the Kanji stroke order 25 times or so across a couple of days (I have a good memory, which helps). Then once I'm confident that I know the Kanji, I try and use newer ones in my other Japanese practice.

I also used to drill kanji in the morning with flash cards. I'd have a check list and once I got the same one right 3 times I'd count it as "known" and put it in a different pile. I've been planning a programme to do the same. Making flashcards is a pain.
    This program does just that. It has a pretty steep learning curve, but I've heard amazing 成果 come from this program.

http://www.kicl.info/

Somewhat fun to play through, and you can also change what your learning from several different card lists.

I've heard really good things about these books called Kanji in Context. To remember them, I made sheets to practice writing the kanji (and remembering them!) from just looking at the meaning and readings. Reading manga also helps too, especially if it's a "school life" kind of thing like Nana.

I need help!
    I want to use Rikaichan to help me learn kanji. I've downloaded Firefox and all the dictionaries, but I can't make it work! The LookupBar will show up, but nothing happens when I hover the mouse over kanji and sometimes it tells me to install a dictionary for Rikaichan, which I've done about three times now.

Also, does anybody know how to enable Japanese text on a Mac? I'm new to this MacBook thing ...

Me, from the other thread
    Left hand corner Apple.
    System Preferences.
    International.
    Input Menu.
    Check Kotoeri.
    Personally, I just select Hiragana (you can still do katakana via holding down shift while typing)
    And voila! Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Rikaichan...I'm not sure what your problem is there. You installed Rikaichan then the dictionaries? And restarted Firefox? I'm assuming such. Weird. I don't use Rikaichan, don't really like it.
    If you're on a Mac, make sure you have JEDict. Because it is awesome.

Christ, this board has the shittiest fucking tag implementation.
    The woman expresses her gratitude and goes back to Pope's house and sleeps with him.

So how much would a DS and a kanji game cost me? Sounds like a fun way to play around while still learning ze kanjis. From DeoDeo or best denki or whatever it is you have outside Chugoku?

Also kiddieschoen, do you think that learning kanji on the DS will make my written kanji look like my students, ie ugly?

DS is US$130, and I paid US$40 for each the Kanji training software and the Rakubiki Jiten.

Awesome, ta.

Is it just a dictionary alternative or is there some sort of method or game like thing to it?

I already have an electronic dictionary but its a reference tool only, is the DS just the same thing?

But then at least with the DS i could buy it for kanji as an excuse then get fun stuff becuase oh well ive got it now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    I'm such a noob!

The dictionary software contains some quizzes and the like, but pretty much meant for native speakers. Obviously, your skill will dictate your mileage on that department. I personally just use it as a complete replacement for my denshi jisho.
    Again, the kanken software is meant for the Japanese populace, so no English definitions. But even then I find the practice garnered from it extremely useful and is great for reviewing kanji. You'll have to look up your native tongue definitions yourself, but having the software take care of the characters you know, don't know and so on is wonderful.

Thanks I'll have a looksee tomorrow when i go printer and new bike shopping.

I second using the DS to study kanji. Kakitori-kun is my new best friend.

It only has the 1st-6th grade ES kanji on it, but it's perfect for getting your basics squared away. I've never felt that confident about writing or reading kanji but this game has helped me more than anything. The 熟語 (kanji compound) practice section is awesome. It has you write the reading first in hiragana, then write the kanji. If you make a mistake you have to do it again until you get it right. It even has an attendance record to keep track of how often you practice and a little guy who grades your kanji and gives you encouragement.

I've tried every standard method to learn Kanji but they all failed. The methods that have worked for me is getting e-mails/texts from my Japanese friends translating them then when the chance came up use the new Kanji's. Also reading my Japanese friends diaries on MIXI has been a great help because it's actually Japanese they use in daily life not the rubbish they teach us at University. Watching Japanese TV shows is another great method because often the same Kanji's come up and after a while you remember them.

If you really want to master Kanji using your DS then buy this game:-

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...i-70-1mvm.html

I can't praise this enough, you can study the entire 1945 kanji, on yomi, kun yomi, stroke order. With a nice ranking system that remembers how many kanji you've mastered out of the 1945.

It also doesn't make you jump right into the deep end of complicated Japanese grammar or paired Kanji in order to test yourself against more complicated Kanji above the usual 100-200.

And there are hundreds of mini tests that are only unlocked as you practice and learn the kanji, try getting 100% in all of them After each test you can check out all your wrong answers and see what the correct answers were.

Check out the official website and especially these 4 movies where you can watch the main game modes in action, check out movie 4 and drool at the stroke order training my favourite, with being able to study the on and kun yomi reading (if you want too) at the same time by looking at the top screen.

http://www.nowpro.co.jp/products/gam...i/movie_4.html

You can practice your 4kyu-1kyu kanji just using this mode alone. Also, what DS game teaches you the kanji stroke order? During practice it won't let you draw the strokes in the wrong order.

Even during the other practice sessions you can press a button and get the answer pop up, then vanish, instead of being totally confused and just guessing the answer. Flash cards for everything.

And finally one of my favourite things is that you don't need to rotate your DS 90 degrees in that horrid sideways fashion that gets uncomfortable after 10 mins as you do with the other games.

I can't think of a bad thing to say about this game except for maybe slightly difficult sentence examples are sometimes used.
    But you don't have to read the entire sentences though, just look at the kanji and answer! And although it's a Japanese game for Japanese people, it would've been nice to have English translations for the Kanji. (Infact it would be the best educational game in the Universe with that feature)

But, if you want to master the entire Kanji and readings and already have a DS, what are you waiting for, BUY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW!

Well shit, I'm a sucker for kanji software. I'll give it a shot.

Watching these videos makes me giddy. Overnighted!