Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you study kanji?

Pandilex

Quote Originally Posted by Zan
    I want something for the ds where if I see a kanji I don't know, I can draw it into the screen and it will give me a translation, either in kana or romanji. Which games/product does this?
    Just spotted your post.

Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten will do exactly that. Even if you draw it wrong in the wrong order then it usually picks it up.

The software is basically a dictionary. Draw the kanji, and it'll come up with a list of stuff that uses it in a dictionary.

I use it occasionally, but I don't have much need for kanji lookup really. I think people that have to do kanji lookup are studying wrong. Your material isn't appropriate for your level, as you should study with furigana (the hiragana written above) which then lets you look it up. Anywhere else you can ask someone, most of my studying is done through conversation at the pub, and I can ask about kanji.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

I study kanji by making flashcards of a bunch of words that have that kanji in it. The upside of this is that since I'm learning it in context, I very rarely forget how to read a kanji once I've learned it. But the downside is that since I'm speed-learning for the JLPT, which doesn't have a writing test, not a lot of writing practice goes on, so when I come to write something by hand, I'm flummoxed. So I've ordered Heisig on Amazon (thanks to the people who helped me out with that in the other thread) so hopefully that'll help me out with writing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    I use it occasionally, but I don't have much need for kanji lookup really. I think people that have to do kanji lookup are studying wrong. Your material isn't appropriate for your level, as you should study with furigana (the hiragana written above) which then lets you look it up. Anywhere else you can ask someone, most of my studying is done through conversation at the pub, and I can ask about kanji.
    *shrug*
    I play games, RPGs mostly, in Japanese. Sometimes I don't know a word or two. It helps big time.
    The woman expresses her gratitude and goes back to Pope's house and sleeps with him.

Pandilex

To play RPGs in Japanese you need an insane level of Japanese in order to understand all the dialogue.

So unless you're just hitting next over and over, you should already have the skills required, because the kanji pales in comparison to the sheer range of vocab and linguistics required to play an RPG game.

Kanji is vocab, vocab is kanji!
    I don't get everything, but I try! It's fun!
    The woman expresses her gratitude and goes back to Pope's house and sleeps with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ENAY
    Takenoko, I have bought Kakitori Kun, I really like it, certainly a good program, I use it everyday like the Adult Kanji training game.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

BTW I found out how to crash Kakitori kun hanging the DS completely! I do some game testing finding bugs as part in my job but this is the first time I've found one in a DS game, all by accident too. Heheh
    Woa! How the heck do you crash Kakitori-kun?

I think I'm going to buy the Otona Kanji Practice game once I finish Kakitori. I want that square bird to change into a soaring eagle when I'm finished, to represent my mastery of ES level kanji. Also, I want it to scream triumphantly.

I've been alternating between the Otona Kanji Practice and Kakitori Kun games recently. My Kanji writing skills have improved loads

Ok to crash Kakitori Kun. It's easy to do, although you have to know where to look.
    For some reason the game doesn't like the Kanji for "Hand".
    Go to the Word practice area and select the Kanji for hand in 1nen. First you'll have to go through all the word reading it does, there's about 6. After the word for "meishu" you should have "te" and then have to draw the kanji, you can crash it here or from any of the other words using hand kanji afterwards.
    Instead of drawing the Kanji normally, 3 horiz strokes and then 1 vert. Do the first stroke with the tinyest tap of the screen ever but that it still registers!
    Then do the other 3 strokes (I've found tapping the top of the screen and then doing 3 horiz strokes, such as the Kanji for no3 below the dot works fine)
    If it doesn't work first time delete the character that pops up and try again, it's a peace of piss to do though. Do it right and the game will totally hang and the music will stop, if you put your ear to your DS speaker, you'll hearing a buzzing sound where the music got stuck, depending on which part of the music was playing when you fucked it up. Now you have to switch your DS off and on again

I don't know why the game doesn't crash in any other area of the game which uses this Kanji, just on this practicemode. Odd!
    Let me know if it does the same for you.

Certainly one to impress your mates with. Look look my DS crashes just like windows!