Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Sendai-shi, anyone? Miyagi in general?

Default Sendai-shi, anyone? Miyagi in general?

I'm heading off to Sendai-shi and of course no zilch about the place. Apparently it's in Miyagi and the train station is something to behold. Is anyone else heading there? Can anyone give me some info on the city? It sounds like its gonna be a tit-bit nipply in the winter. :cry:

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Im in kansai now, but lived just north of sendai for a while in high school. Sendai has everything you need. The station is not that great just has a huge omiyage area.....and whats up with the green bean paste snacks???? but the cow tongue is to die for.

Ummmmm.,...movie theaters, bowling alleys, shops galore...and only short train rides, bus rides, or drives form some really beautiful places.....look up matsushima (matsujima)

well i know there are other people from miyagi that can help you more, but good luck!
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Thanks! I am looking forward to trying that beef tongue. NOT looking forward to cold weather.

Another kid from my university is going to Sendai-shi. I don't think he knows that much about it, though.

hey zbop, i just got my placement in the mail today from the toronto consulate... sendai-shi in sendai, miyagi... i googled it and it looks like an awesome place, lets make the best of it!!

mmm... fresh osyters and sake... i'm stoked!!!

cheers!

I know a 2006/7 Jet in Sendai. He loves the place, saying its the perfect size to have lots of excitement, but not getting-lost-big like Tokyo. It's also apparently very pretty, and has a cool jazz scene. It was a place I requested also. So it's recommended for all newbies. Good luck guys!

Sendai was my first choice, so you're really lucky. I ended up in a tiny town close to Sapporo, so I'm not so badly off, but I'm still a bit jealous.

Sendai was my first choice too. Not heard yet but by the sound of it my first choice won't have much bearing ;-)

<---Sendai-shi!

Had no clue where/what the place was, but do a wikipedia search.

I also found these websites:
    Sendai BOE!
    Miyagi AJET (very dated)

Anyways, Sendai seems like a cool city from the descriptions and pictures...I'm pretty psyched.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor
    Sendai was my first choice, so you're really lucky. I ended up in a tiny town close to Sapporo, so I'm not so badly off, but I'm still a bit jealous.

I am SO SAD that you didn't get Sendai. :smt022 We could have had such fun, the people here are great.

Maybe I'll just move to Sapporo and get an eikaiwa job there,

or I could always live in your closet.... :smt079 (I like that emoticon) :wink:
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Haha, yeah, come to Sapporo! Or if I don't have a closet you can live in my nasty toilet like that hand in Majora's Mask.

hello (again) to all those going to sendai-shi... it's kinda opposite from all my choices, but i'm beginning to like it more and more as i am exploring the "city of trees"... hey punkindrublic, thank you for the websites... i came across the same ones... they're definitely very useful and interesting... by the way, i'm in group b, just curious to see how many will be in the same group as well...

cheers guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_X

I am SO SAD that you didn't get Sendai. :smt022 We could have had such fun, the people here are great.

So you're moving to Sendai? It's a nice town, and I was glad I had easy access to it. If it weren't for the shinkansen, I would have quit by now.

Quote Originally Posted by jack_zuta

So you're moving to Sendai? It's a nice town, and I was glad I had easy access to it. If it weren't for the shinkansen, I would have quit by now.
    Just the opposite. I am moving OUT of Miyagi all together, maybe...

I am one of those incredibly rare cases where my school was a total bitch and refused to recontract me so I have to find another job because I am not done with Japan yet.

So should I get a job in Sendai? Or explore another part of Japan? I don't know yet... I would have stayed had my buddy gotten Sendai, but now I don't know.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Just the opposite. I am moving OUT of Miyagi all together, maybe...

I am one of those incredibly rare cases where my school was a total bitch and refused to recontract me so I have to find another job because I am not done with Japan yet. [

So should I get a job in Sendai? Or explore another part of Japan? I don't know yet... I would have stayed had my buddy gotten Sendai, but now I don't know.
    Go somewhere else. In my experience, the further south you go the less frequently you run into the dog shit breath. That alone makes it worth running away!

Why wouldn't they recontract you?

Go somewhere else. In my experience, the further south you go the less frequently you run into the dog shit breath. That alone makes it worth running away!

Why wouldn't they recontract you?
    Yeah, what is up with that nasty breath? I have one teacher who has it and sadly, he is a close talker. I was constantly backing away from him and I guess it pissed him off because he stopped having me come to his class. Yay... more internet, less shit breath.

Anyhoo...

Incredibly long story short (too late), my school is a shit school. The shittiest of them all. It wasn't fair, it wasn't right, but they refused to recontract me. It is really for the best however because although I always planned to stay for three years on JET, I don't think I could stand another year being abused and screamed at every day. There are plenty of English teaching jobs in Japan.

sendai city, miyagi. Good? Bad? Tell me more, JETs!

Quote Originally Posted by kanpai2cherryblossoms
    hello (again) to all those going to sendai-shi... it's kinda opposite from all my choices, but i'm beginning to like it more and more as i am exploring the "city of trees"... hey punkindrublic, thank you for the websites... i came across the same ones... they're definitely very useful and interesting... by the way, i'm in group b, just curious to see how many will be in the same group as well...

cheers guys!!!

Yeah! I'm in Group B too. It sounds like a cool group of people will be heading to Sendai. Sendai was also kinda the opposite of all my choices as well....but I am totally up for exploring the city with you all.

Is Sendai pretty? Yeah, I guess so. Sendai city calls itself "the city of trees", but many cities call themselves the same thing so it isn't a big deal.

There are a lot of Eastern European mail order brides, so thats fun and strange.

There are a couple clubs. Both are kind of seedy. One is good for watching sport events and the other is less seedy but the US military folk that go there can get kind of obnoxious.

There is one street in Sendai that is famous in Tohoku for its bars. So... many. I have gone out practically every weekend and I still haven't seen them all. It is a small, deserted, dirty narrow road during the day and at night it fills with groups of drunk business men and prostitutes. All good clean fun

Miyagi is a bit old fashioned for Japan. You see a lot of women wearing kimonos so that is cool, but you also can get kicked out of stores and restaurants because of racism. That is not so cool. Better chance of that not happening if you are with someone who is Japanese or Asian.

I gotta say, I hate me some cold weather....can any JETs shed some light on how heinously cold it's going to be? And on the opposite spectrum, please tell me that spring and summer are beautiful in Sendai!

For all of us n00bs to Sendai, here is a link to some random photos that some random person took of our future home:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/arch.../t-121978.html

The quaint outer neighbourhoods look nice....