Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Sendai-shi, anyone? Miyagi in general?

Quote Originally Posted by princessgarnet View Post
    Do any of you in Miyagi take Japanese lessons? I'd quite like to sign up as I"m really rubbish at learning languages on my own and want to improve a lot. I live near Sendai so would be quite happy to go there for them. Thanks again for all the help and info
    I don't... the closest Japanese lessons to where I live are like in Furukawa or something... and last time I checked, they were at a really rubbishy time like 7PM on Friday nights. Sorry, my social life is already hampered enough by being one of what, 5 people remaining in my town in the early to mid 20s range who doesn't have a bunch of kids to take care of...

However - I know of people who live in Sendai's commute range who go to classes during the week - I would totally do that if it was an option. You should be able to find something for sure.

I live in Sendai and take lessons here. There are lots of different classes and private options available here.

Maybe you will be able to find something closer to you though. Perhaps there will be lessons on hand where you are placed or you could try to post a language exchange request on a local public notice board. Just a thought.

Cheers
    "I don't know ka-rate but I know ka-razy."
    J. Brown

Quote Originally Posted by diemjay View Post
    I live in Sendai and take lessons here. There are lots of different classes and private options available here.

Maybe you will be able to find something closer to you though. Perhaps there will be lessons on hand where you are placed or you could try to post a language exchange request on a local public notice board. Just a thought.

Cheers
    Also a good idea - most people I know who have some kind of study set up who live in the inaka do so with a private tutor. This might even be the best, if you can find someone who`s good!

Default Re: Sendai-shi, anyone? Miyagi in general?

Hi,

I'm hoping to go to Sendai for some time over the time off I'll have from Sept. 19-27. Is there anything going on over those days? I've heard about a Jazz festival, and I also thought I heard something about a rock festival happening there. Not sure if it will correspond, though.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could advise on things to do (I like music, drinking, dancing, sightseeing, shopping, etc), accomodations (I'm hoping for something cheap where I could potentially meet other travellers, or maybe a cheap hotel room), food, and any advice on the amount of time I should stay would be great. I plan on staying about one or two days longer than what the tour book advice would be on seeing a city, as I don't have plans to go anywhere else.

Thanks in advance for your help, and if there's anyone there that would like to hang out, that'd be great, too!

fashion show on the 222nd if thats your thing

oh i read somewhere about a creative writing group in miyagi, anyone know anything about this? Or any kind of writing/reading groups in the area?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by princessgarnet View Post
    oh i read somewhere about a creative writing group in miyagi, anyone know anything about this? Or any kind of writing/reading groups in the area?

Cheers
    Some people in Miyagi had a book club in Miyagi last year, they took turns picking a book of the month then would meet somewhere and have dinner and talk about it. It was people in the Kurihara/Tome/Kesennuma areas, I think, no one from the Sennan area... too far to travel. You might ask around at the MAJET welcome party this weekend in Sendai.

I would love to go to Sendai. I personally wouldn't mind the colder weather as memories of the killer summers in Kansai stick vividly in mind mind. Is it as cold as Sapporo?

Sendai is nowhere near as cold as Sapporo. The Summers can get up to the high thirties, and the humidity is drenching, but nothing like Kansai, and the early rainy season can even feel a bit chilly - 'tsuyuzam' as they say in Tohoku. The wind can make it feel cold but rarely goes below -5C in the daytime, or even at night. Generally speaking the further west in the city you go the more likely snow will settle. There can be large falls, but these tend to melt fast, I was always surprised to leave Yamagata where you get metres of snow and by the time the train was approaching Sendai there would be very little on the ground. When I moved to Sendai after JET I was rather disappointed in that the weather was undramatic - not too much of anything really - sun, snow or rain, rather like England in fact. I didn't need my winter tyres for the car. You can get the tail end of typhoons, but again nothing like further south. The wind in the Spring often blows the cherry blossoms off just as you've got your blue tarp down on the ground. Autumn can be stunning, with very warm days suddenly replaced by the Siberian winds which turn the leaves red.