Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Sendai-shi, anyone? Miyagi in general?

Well, you probably all got the mail from Hollie today about the sempai scheme. If one of you guys happens to get a new Brit in Sendai, I'm your kohai. I hereby command you to take me to the seediest boozeholes and to make sure I wake up in the surf of the pacific ocean at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGowan View Post
    Well, you probably all got the mail from Hollie today about the sempai scheme. If one of you guys happens to get a new Brit in Sendai, I'm your kohai. I hereby command you to take me to the seediest boozeholes and to make sure I wake up in the surf of the pacific ocean at least once.
    When do you plan on doing that? Sounds like fun
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

Every night until I wake up sold to a sumo house to pay off my tab, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGowan View Post
    Every night until I wake up sold to a sumo house to pay off my tab, hopefully.
    Just make sure you don't get killed by the sumo house hazing
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

Last edited by diemjay; November 12th, 2008 at 10:26.
    "I don't know ka-rate but I know ka-razy."
    J. Brown

Awesome, I can't wait to see proper sumo. Do they encourage getting drunk and yelling at "that cunt in the red nappy" to push harder? This is British culture, and I may feel obligated to share it with all of Sendai.

How much would the cost be for the sumo tournament?

Last edited by diemjay; November 12th, 2008 at 10:26.
    J. Brown

Is there good fishing in Japan, incidentally? It's something I've always wanted to try. The only thing you can catch around here is trolleys and encephalitis.

So what kinds of stuff do they have people in Miyagi-ken do during August? Prepare curriculum at the BoE? Just hang around?

I am so looking forward to not having to teach random out-of-the-box lessons featuring Dansinglish.
    Last edited by Wakatta; July 23rd, 2008 at 19:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakatta View Post
    So what kinds of stuff do they have people in Miyagi-ken do during August? Prepare curriculum at the BoE? Just hang around?

I am so looking forward to not having to teach random out-of-the-box lessons featuring Dansinglish.
    There will be a big Tanabata festival on August 5, I think.

Have you signed up for the Miyagi Ken or Sendai JET group on Facebook? The Miyagi Ken one provided us with a list of festivals in Miyagi for the next two months

Quote Originally Posted by cvmurrieta View Post
    There will be a big Tanabata festival on August 5, I think.

Have you signed up for the Miyagi Ken or Sendai JET group on Facebook? The Miyagi Ken one provided us with a list of festivals in Miyagi for the next two months
    Ah, thanks for the tip! I'm all over the Tanabata festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakatta View Post
    Ah, thanks for the tip! I'm all over the Tanabata festival.
    Me too! I was on the Sendai Committee in my hometown of Riverside, California. I had heard from the other committee members who had been in Sendai during the festival that it is really big and awesome!

Can't wait to celebrate it with new-found Japanese friends and fellow JETs

Last edited by diemjay; November 12th, 2008 at 10:27.
    J. Brown

Quote Originally Posted by diemjay View Post
    Hey guys,

The 'cheap' sumo seats are 5000 yen. The event will be held on Aug. 9th in Sendai. It is about a 5 minute walk from the Tomizawa subway station.

Schedule is something like this:

8am- doors open and wrestlers practice/stretch
    10:30am- wrestlers play wrestle with/meet children
    11am- matches start
    2pm- final matches start
    3pm- End

I will be sending out ticket purchasing details and a suggested group meeting time to both Sendai and Miyagi JETs.

As for the fishing, I'm not too sure. I don't eat fish or fish very often. I was going to do catch and release in Fukushima but I lost my one hook so that kind of ended the adventure. I could see the fish though. Quite big and the lake was well stocked with them.

On August 5th there will be a large fireworks display in Sendai for the Tanabata festival. See you kats there!
    Yeah, we'll all be arriving from Group A tomorrow in Sendai. I'll keep an eye out for info on MAJET

Last edited by diemjay; November 12th, 2008 at 10:27.
    J. Brown

What are the chances of getting tickets on the door for the sumo? I won't be in Sendai til this time next week, so my chances of getting them before then are limited.

Last edited by diemjay; November 12th, 2008 at 10:28.
    J. Brown

Quote Originally Posted by diemjay View Post

MAJET Welcome Party- Aug. 23rd
    includes: tailored Sendai walking tours, bowling, nomihodai (maybe with darts and pool), a Habitat for Humanity fundraiser and clubbing to follow.
    It is gonna be loads of fun.

Cheers
    I`m keen for this, though I`ll most likely give the walking tour a miss and link up with you guys for bowling / nomi.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! DecayConstant's Avatar

Hey guys!

I wasn't upgraded by JET, but I just got a job in Miyagi though a company called JoyTalk. It's in Taiwa-shi. Anyone heard of it? I'll be an ALT in the middle and elementary schools there. I should arrive around the 16th of September.
    Sometimes it takes a pot to call a kettle black.