Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

With me it's harder to measure because I came over with a fair bit already, but I'm noticing that I'm finding things easier than I did before. Words come to mind easier, I can read things faster than I used to - stuff like that.

I slacked off a lot for the first 6 months (not counting talking to Japanese people - my Japanese was better than the English of most of the people around me, so apart from with students and JTEs, it would have been pretty stupid to speak English instead.) But lately I've been studying a lot for 1kyuu, and I think if I keep studying I can pass it. It would have been completely out of my reach last year. So I think I've progressed a fair bit.

Does anyone have any advice on what the best way of learning Kanji is? Any good textbooks? I'm working with Genki japanese at the moment and that's good for speaking and vocab, but I think if I worked with a kanji book alongside it would really help. Tips anyone?

Genki is the best textbook i've seen for the incidental use of kanji. It has kanji in all the dialogues with furigana from about the 3rd chapter. Plus the second volume has some longer texts which are just packed with kanji. It a good way to get you using kanji in your normal study.

I liked Basic Kanji Book (greeney blue and red books) but really, get a DS and get the yellow and red kanji game. That thing is all shades of awesome.

Cool, i have a ds. Why is it so good? Is it meant for native japanese speakers? I learnt the kanas in an afternoon because the materials I was working with were so good, i'm looking for something that will really help me remember. ie pictograms etc

pictograms . hmmm .. heisig is good for that sort of thing but the debate about him has spawned every internet site for pages and pages so im sure you're already aware of the criticisms.

There is Kanji pictographix which you can buy in shops or you can get Heisig on torrent but I really recommend learning the radicals and making your own mnumonics (sp?) from there.

The DS game is yes made for native speakers but it catches you out on what you don't know in terms of stroke order, readings, writing, etc and makes you revise it.

The best way to learn kanji is to read as much as possible which genki is good for.

How far through genki are you? The DS games are really for native speakers and it would be a bit difficult to use if you haven't progressed too far yet.

mmmm, not very far through. Only about half way through the first book, maybe just over. Only on to my te forms. I was really planning ahead for arriving in japan since I have a spare two months before I arrive, I may as well use the time well.

Maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk....