Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2 more months

VIP

I haven't done shit either, but was only upgraded yesterday, so I have an excuse.

I was just talking to my uncle, who I need to visit in SoCal before I leave, and he said maybe we could find a Japanese restaurant while I am down there. I told him Japanese food is the last thing I want to be eating now. I want to eat as much Mexican food as possible before I leave California!

Hell yeah, congratulations on being upgraded!!! I would have been very disappointed in JET if not.

Seconded on the Mexican food. And cheese. Brie, blue, feta, goat . . . I'm going to miss it all

SF has such a fabulous food scene! Mmmm.

Deleted

You'd be surprised. I found a decent Mexican bar/grill while in Kanazawa.
    The woman expresses her gratitude and goes back to Pope's house and sleeps with him.

Seriously. People have been asking me, "So, have you been practicing making Japanese food so your body gets used to it?" And I'm like, "No, I definitely want to eat the food I can eat here before I have trouble finding ingredients!"

But, being a vegetarian (who prefers cooking to eating out anyways), as long as I can find veggies, tofu and flour, I'm pretty good to go. (Cause I'm bringing a spice supply). Most of my food is stovetop or rice cooker, so...

Quote Originally Posted by revenantkioku
    Yeah, Japan has some really good Mexican food places. Especially in Tokyo and the larger cities!

Sorry, but there's got to be Chicanos behind the counter for me to believe it's really good Mexican food.

You can't get good Mexican in Japan, and anyone that says differently hasn't had GOOD Mexican food.

On the flip side, though, you can still get some awesome Latino food, what with all the Peruvians and Brazilians in the country (there's evidently a Brazilian supermarket in my town, which I'm stoked about)

(You also can't get Taco Bell, which gets sadly distressing around the third or forth month)

Quote Originally Posted by MostHolyPorcine
    You can't get good Mexican in Japan, and anyone that says differently hasn't had GOOD Mexican food.
    Says you.

It's all relative. I'm sure to the Mexicans, the stuff you eat in SoCal (or wherever) is total crap too. The fact of the matter is that it's there, and I'm sure a fair amount of people will say that it tastes pretty good!

I'm not about to defend most American Mexican food, but unless unlicensed Taco carts have suddenly popped up in Shinjuku....

Default Really!?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman
    Quote Originally Posted by revenantkioku
    Yeah, Japan has some really good Mexican food places. Especially in Tokyo and the larger cities!
    That's the #1 food that I missed when I was in Japan B4! I couldn't find ANY Mexican places! I DID find several VERY good Indian restaurants (India indian not native american indian). Comming from Hawaii, we don't have any good mexican restaurants either... but heck, I'd settle for a damn taco bell in Japan! :mrgreen: Mexican pizza... mmmmmm.....
    If you're headed to Miyazaki Or Kagoshima, let me know. I'm currently in a city that's on the border.

Here's a link to a crude lil' website I made for the noobs coming to Miyakonojo. (AKA "The Jo")

“It is only the dead who have seen the end of war” - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MostHolyPorcine
    Says you.

It's all relative. I'm sure to the Mexicans, the stuff you eat in SoCal (or wherever) is total crap too.
    If you're in the American West or Southwest, there are plenty of real Mexican restaurants run by real Mexican people. Granted, it's not going to be the same food one would find in Oaxaca or something, but your typical taco truck or hole-in-the-wall burrito stand/mercado/phone card emporium is guaranteed to be more legit than anything you'd hope to find in Asia.

I DID find several VERY good Indian restaurants
    Mmmmm, indian food. The fact that you can get it there makes me very happy!
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

Default Funny thing I noticed...

Quote Originally Posted by Zan
    I DID find several VERY good Indian restaurants
    Mmmmm, indian food. The fact that you can get it there makes me very happy!

A funny thing I noticed about the Indian restaurants I went to (2 Fukuoka, 1 Nagasaki, 1 Osaka), Is that they always seem to have a glass wall where the Indian chef is. I think they want people to see that they have a "real" Indian guy in the kitchen. It reminds me of a zoo or something. :P
    If you're headed to Miyazaki Or Kagoshima, let me know. I'm currently in a city that's on the border.

Here's a link to a crude lil' website I made for the noobs coming to Miyakonojo. (AKA "The Jo")

“It is only the dead who have seen the end of war” - Plato

I'm sure to the Mexicans, the stuff you eat in SoCal (or wherever) is total crap too.
    Mexican food is 1,000X better in Mexico than it is in Cali but it's still better in Cali than I've had anywhere else.

I too have been eating as much Mexican as I can before I go. I keep hoping that I'll get tired of it, but sadly I think that will never happen :P But it will just make it that much better when I come home. Also - anyone who thinks you can get good Mexican anywhere outside of the Americas - it just isn't true. You MUST have Mexicans making it otherwise it's just not as good. I do think though, if I could find a restaurant serving Mexican in Japan I would eat it anyway and probably enjoy it

I had 3 friends who all went to Asia traveling for 6 months last year and they all ate burritos 1st thing when the got back to the US, lol
    Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

...Goddamnit, now you all have made me want to leave my nice A/Ced house to go get Del Taco or Taco Time. And I'm not even hungry. :x

man i totally missed mexican food too when i was there. i found a restaurant in shinjuku but it was a real ripoff for what you got. taco bell ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by monogatari
    ...Goddamnit, now you all have made me want to leave my nice A/Ced house to go get Del Taco or Taco Time. And I'm not even hungry. :x
    What do either of those places have to do with Mexican food?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Lux
    Oh, that's mean.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Lux
    nada mi amigo