Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Does anyone else think anime/manga is terrible?

We all have a reponsibility to continue jihad.

Default Re: Does anyone else think anime/manga is terrible?

I watched anime only a few times. NOt my cup of tea; I could not get into it.
    <a href=http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3134&dateline=1245615339 target=_blank>http://www.ithinkimlost.com/image.ph...ine=1245615339</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman View Post
    As usual, you all (Aliを除く) have your heads up your asses.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
    IMO, just like with movies, novels, or television shows, it all just depends. Some "manga" or "anime" can be interesting to me, where as other series don't interest me at all.
    it could also be about timing as well. I remember reading naruto and thinking "this is garbage" and then reading it a few months later (AFTER the plot had developed a bit more) and thinking "this is sooo good". whoever said the "non-ending" thing is absolutely right though and as a person who'd rather have plot development/closure than see a picture of two chicks drawn in the 69 position with their boobs spilling out, it is sometimes painful to wait a week or two to see what happens next.

but the big 3 (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece) are pretty good and I'd recommend them as good starters. Especially OP.

Even though I watch Naruto, I still can't get into its manga. I've just been watching Naruto so long (like when it first started), I think I watch it more so out of habit now, like I would any weekly show. One thing I've particularly noticed about myself, is that most "shounen" type series or action-heavy ones don't do it for me manga wise. I'd just rather watch it.

As for One Piece, could never get into that. And with Bleach, I started watching it, but, after that Bounto Arc, my interest in it started to die off and I stopped watching it altogether in about the summer of 2007.

I'm more of a manga person anyway, and I prefer drama, jousei, and fantasy type stuff (this even counts for regular books or movies [fantasy genre]). Gokusen is a nice read, as is Kimi wa Pet, imo, for some jousei types. Gunsmith Cats I like a lot too, despite the fact that it's a seinen series. I also don't mind adventure series, like the different Legend of Zelda manga series. I don't have much experience with a mystery series outside of Detective Conan, and I watch and read that.

Either way, just all depends on the person. One of my all-time favorite comic strips is For Better or For Worse, which finally ended this year, so series of this nature appeal to me as well, as it would for manga series using that type of genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Along those lines, Paprika. What a trippy movie. I saw it in theaters, and got my friend who's never watched anime before a copy of it on BluRay, and he liked it.
    Damn, I need to get around to watching that. I know it'll be great, though; everything Satoshi Kon touches turns to gold. See also Tokyo Godfathers, which since I first saw it has become my favorite Christmas movie of all time.
    I was drunk at the beach and fell into a ditch.

I've never really watched anime but the other day I was in the video shop and saw this movie called Afro Samurai and noticed that it featured the voice of Samuel L. Jackson, so I thought I'd check it out. As soon as I played the movie I noticed that it was created by the same guy who does the anime scene on Kill Bill 1, Takashi Okazaki. Afro Samurai is pretty similar to that scene in that it involves a dark brooding kind of animation and lots of blood. Overall I thought it was a pretty good movie and wouldn't mind check more of Okazaki's work. can anyone give me any reccomendations?

sequel to afro samurai coming at the end of the month i believe

I would definitely consider myself a fan, but I am also rather picky as to my chosen fare. My "guilty pleasure" show is One Piece, I generally watch fantasy/scifi epics and historically based shows.

A few All time favs:

The Twelve Kingdoms

The novels are great, the series is great. I think I've seen it all the way through 10 times. The soundtrack is one of my favorites of any show, animated or otherwise.

Planetes

A fantastic realistic sci-fi series, with a real ending. Probably seen this 4-5 through.

Scrapped Princess

This starts out looking like your average fantasy fare, but goes wacky (in a good way) very quickly. Also has a real ending.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Only for the hardcore scifi/space opera fan, as it runs for some 160+ episodes. I still haven't finished it, and now I have to redownload the lot, as my 400gig external tanked itself a week ago and took all but my One Piece with it.

Enzed, when I look up his name, I just see him as the original manga artist for Afro Samurai. I don't think he's done much else. If you like super dark stuff, Jin-Roh, Blood, the newer Vampire Hunter D movie....heck, even Ninja Scroll may be up your alley.
    "...There was Kirk going, “Scotty, we need warp factor 9 in five seconds, or we’re toast!” And he goes, “I can give you 30 miles an hour in a week, Captain, how about that?” ~Eddie Izzard

http://anruiukimi.livejournal.com

I watched the twelve kingdoms as well, and I gotta say it's probably one of the best anime of all time, it's really good.

I like some of the wild movies like Princess Mononoke, Spriggan, and Akira

When my cousin was here, he was watching Afro Samurai. I was on here, surfing this board, probably while he was watching it. I honestly couldn't get into it. Didn't like it at all. Too...gory maybe? Nah, that's not it. Just don't care for series like that in general, anime or not. I like humor and light-hearted stuff, or either fantasy, anime or not, or maybe drama, as long as it's not romance heavy.