Thread: Please Open Immediately!

Default Please Open Immediately!

So, CLAIR course signing up time again. The envelope wsa pretty funny. Good thing it said that. I usually through stuff from CLAIR in the bin without opening it.

What are we going to do? It's a bit on the superhardcoreretarded side surely.

For intermediate you need to know 100 kanji and for advanced you need to know 1000.

I don't want to do another course that moves painfully slowly like the beginners course I stupidly did which im sure the intermediate course would be like too, but I think the Advanced course is going to be way too bastard hard.

Thoughts? What are you going to do?

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

I got that like the day after the conference and I wondered why they just didn't give it out there to save on some of the millions of yen of postage that is presumably coming out of the taxpayers' money.

As for the course, I wouldn't touch any level of it with a ten foot pole. I took the advanced course for the first month and it was like Sunshine in Japanese.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Haven't received mine yet. They probably sent it to my old base school by mistake, coz I know the other ALT at my new school got his. I'll be giving the Advanced course a crack. Thanks to Doomer I already have a head start on the books and have finished Book 1. It's MUCH harder than the Intermediate course, mainly because there is no English - even the explanations of the grammar points are in Japanese. Think I'll be okay if I stay on top of the timing. Sure, the course isn't perfect, but it's something to take to my tutor each week and it keeps me disciplined with my study.
    There's also a big jump from Beginner's to Intermediate. Book 1 Intermediate is mostly keigo and put me off a bit, but it gets better and in Books 3 and 4 especially I was actually learning sentence structures I could use in daily life.
    When is the deadline to return the form? I want to know if I should bother calling the BoE yet or just wait another week or so.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by kiwimusume
    I got that like the day after the conference and I wondered why they just didn't give it out there to save on some of the millions of yen of postage that is presumably coming out of the taxpayers' money.

As for the course, I wouldn't touch any level of it with a ten foot pole. I took the advanced course for the first month and it was like Sunshine in Japanese.

That made me laugh. Thanks, i needed that.

Maybe you and Paul are right. I might just give the whole thing a miss. It was just distracting me from study last time revising stuff I already knew at a snails pace and making things I thought I knew extra confusing. I think it made my Japanese worse.

i did up til the end of book 3 of the beginner's course, then just couldn't handle it any more.

i have better things to do with my spare time than struggle to stay awake while studying that crap. my own textbooks are way better.
    fucking genki

What about the translating/interpreting and language/pedagogy courses, has anyone tried those? I was thinking of giving one of them a go next year, but I'm not sure.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chibitotoro
    What about the translating/interpreting and language/pedagogy courses, has anyone tried those? I was thinking of giving one of them a go next year, but I'm not sure.
    I tried for the translation course, but i was hungover as shit and bombed the application tape....you have to do some J-E and E-J translations....also they only allow so many people in those classes (like 60 or somthing)

But i think i am going to try again this year....I let you know what its like if i get in!
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Thanks to Doomer I already have a head start on the books and have finished Book 1.
    Glad I could be of service!
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

A little off topic, but still related to CLAIR: enjoyed this Dear CLAIR letter in the latest newsletter:

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy in Q&A JET
    The other day, my supervisor told me, "Your successor has been decided." I will not be recontracting, however, I would like to know if there is anything I can do to help?
    No shit, Sherlock.

Default Re: Please Open Immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    I don't want to do another course that moves painfully slowly like the beginners course I stupidly did which im sure the intermediate course would be like too, but I think the Advanced course is going to be way too bastard hard.

I have the same problem. Think I will take the intermediate cause Advanced sounds a tad too difficult. I have f all to do at school anyway, at least I can add this to stuff to do.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Default Re: Please Open Immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru
    Quote Originally Posted by dombay

I have the same problem. Think I will take the intermediate cause Advanced sounds a tad too difficult. I have f all to do at school anyway, at least I can add this to stuff to do.
    According to the handbook thing the whole advanced course looks furiganaed. I mean, how hard can it be? I think it just looks intimidating.

The intermediate course looks like it goes to about 3kyu JLPT which i'm done with (though I havne't actually taken the test yet, though im studying more advanced material) so i am thinking of actually taking the test in November in which case the clair course would be godo revision, but let's face it, it would also be painful painful painful.

If only they could let us upgrade if we wanted
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

I'm going to sign up for the intermediate course. I'm also probably a bit ahead of that course, but it never hurts to go over the material again and solidify it in my brain. Yeah, the beginner's course was painfully boring, but hey, it's free and you don't have to do them. If I get much too bored with them I'll just stop.

According to the handbook the advanced course if for those who have studied 300 hours or more of Japanese, which is the same for JLPT 3, which I'm taking in December. Was supposed to take it last december but couldn't be fucked so this time i hope to take it and do well in it.

But it seems like a waste of everyone's time to do intermediate when it's all JLPT3 stuff anyway. The course starts at about the same time as the JLPT, maybe with a one book overlap.

So im going to sign up for the advanced course and maybe regret it? I really don't want to sit around practicing easy kanji for 6 months and basic grammar reviewing like the beginning course and it looks like more of hte same.

Hmm .. advanced course here I come.

VIP

I'm not really sure what to do. I did intermediate this year, but didn't do the last three books out of laziness. >.> The Advanced looks way to hard for me, so I'm tempted to sign up for Beginners just to review...I dunno, what do you guys think? Part of me doesn't want to bother, but I feel like I should at least give myself the *chance* to study.
    Fight like a grapefruit, aim for the eyes.

Dont go backwards KateW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru
    Dont go backwards KateW!!!
    +1. I guarantee you will be bored shitless.

Give your supervisor the handbook thing rather than just the form.

my supervisor had a heart attack when i gave her the form, a full scale meeting took place between me, the office manager, kyoto and kocho senseis and my supervisor and ended up in kyoto sensei declairing that I was being difficult.

Then i gave the handbook and all was ok except they were a bit shitty that CLAIR writes directly to me and it doesn't get everyone in the office's hanko first.

Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

If you're wondering what to go for dombay...take the advanced course!!

It really isn't too hard...it's just that all the grammar points are explained in Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by josy
    If you're wondering what to go for dombay...take the advanced course!!

It really isn't too hard...it's just that all the grammar points are explained in Japanese.
    Thanks, Josy.

I did!

Everything seems furiganaed anyway? Cannot be that hard.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'