Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I got my package and have questions" thread

Default "I got my package and have questions" thread

Okay, questions/complaining

I got a package from my placement and it was pretty meh.

-I have to pay key money and a deposit. I know, a lot of people have to pay this so I shouldn't bitch, but in the letter it says this

In Japan, renting an apartment requires paymentof shikkikin (a deposit to cover cleaning costs when you move out - this may bve partially refunded if your apartment is in good condition) and reikin (non-refundable thank you money for your landlord). In addiction, these fees add up to several months' worth of rent and must be paid before you move into the apartment
    They estimate the cost of the apartment to be 5.9man.. do they seriously expect to have about 30man of cash on me before I even set foot in my apartment?
    Also, my rent will be subsidized by 2.7man a month, so I wonder if the key money will be subsidized too.. anyone had any experience with this?

The letter says "to subsidize your rent, we will provide a housing allowance on a sliding scale, up to 27,000 yen"

What do they mean by "sliding scale"?

Also they said they're going to look around for a 3DK apartment for me.. I looked online and found out it means 3 rooms with a dining room and kitchen, but I have no idea how big this is. Anyone know?

-they don't know who my pred is yet, and from the wording, I guess I don't have one?

Lastly, in terms of contacting, your predecessor, Nagano City doesn't designate base schools, so I cannot assign your predecessors. However I will give you the returning and re-contracting JET's contact information later on, so please be sure to ask them all about life in Nagano city
    Is it strange to have no pred?

az

Default Re: "I got my package and have questions" thread

Quote Originally Posted by samesong
    They estimate the cost of the apartment to be 5.9man.. do they seriously expect to have about 30man of cash on me before I even set foot in my apartment?
    Also, my rent will be subsidized by 2.7man a month,
    Yes they do expect you to have this money- so start saving. I paid about this- just consider youself lucky that you are getting subsidised- I get nothing subsidised

Maybe you're a new JET and not replacing anybody?

I don't really wanna preach about anything given to us by CLAIR or the Jet Programme, but all of this stuff in covered in the General Information Handbook. It may seem boring as hell, but it really has a lot of important information, including definitions of apartment sizes and stuff in Japan.

az

That book is precious and will save your life with regards to all miss communication problems at work.

Room sizes are done in tatami mats (out here in bfi, anyway - in real Japanese cities too?)

A tatami mat is about 1.5 m by 70 cm (these are very rough estimates to be treated with caution).

A 3DK is sweet for one person. Most (Japanese) folks that I know are lucky if they don't live in a 1R (one room = studio). Having a 3DK means that you should have enough space for a dining/kitchen, a living room, a bedroom, and STILL have another room left over!

<-- jealous

<-- still hasn't heard anything about placement

Thanks Jill

You're very welcome. I know whose place I'm crashing at for Nagano winter fun. :wink:

3dk is huge.

I live in a 2dk and it's far too big for me. I have to clean more this way.

But i don't pay rent.

But then i live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

There'll be good and bad about whatever they house you in.

But yea, 3dk sounds pretty swanky. If i had an extra room i'd use it as a study or maybe a library? Or maybe both? TV room? Yoga room? Think of the options!!
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I didn't have a pred. It sucks huge balls having to buy all furnishings and appliances for yourself, especially when you're starting out with not much money, even more especially when you're living in an expensive apartment in a big city that isn't subsidized at all.

You're at least doing better than me on that last part, so look at the bright side.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

You don't have a predecessor for a specific base school. That doesn't mean you won't be taking over someone's apartment - some of the Nagano people must be leaving! So hopefully you won't have to newly furnish your place etc.
    Anyone in Nagano now, please clarify.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

It's early. I haven't had my coffee.

What the heck is man? When you say 5.9 man, all I can think of is dismemberment and Silence of the Lambs.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenRox
    It's early. I haven't had my coffee.

What the heck is man? When you say 5.9 man, all I can think of is dismemberment and Silence of the Lambs.
    ten thousand, so it would be 59,000 yen.

AH. I looked up "thousand," I looked up "hundred." I looked up "hip slang for 'yen' that all the cool kids use." Nothing.

Thank you!!

Yeah man

5.9man in total? For a 3DK? Hah. That's about £350 less than the deposit alone on my small flat in St Andrews, and that is relatively cheap for here. I'd be pretty happy if your situation turns out to be anything similar to my placement. Not that I've heard from them yet...
    "Pay no attention to the super delegates behind the curtain." - CBS News

yes but the pound is freakin ridiculous, everything is cheap for you guys!

yes but the pound is freakin ridiculous, everything is cheap for you guys!
    That's what I'm counting on! Although it's going to suck sending it home again...
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

key money is just a fact of life in Japan. suck it up and deal. I ended up paying over 25 man to my landlord before I was allowed to move in. and I dont get a subsidy, and pay about 6 man for a 2ldk. so your deal actually sounds pretty good.

I use one room as my lounge, the other as my bedroom, and it's waaaaaaaay to much space. I wish I'd looked for a smaller apartment instead of just taking what my pred left me.
    * And the Lord said unto John "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster. *