Thread: Teaching special needs students?

Default Teaching special needs students?

Hey all, I just got word from my supervisor and it seems that I'll be teaching special needs students 5-6 times a month. It wasn't more specific than that, but does anyone know if they mean any specific disability?

I know ESID, but if anyone has had any similar experience could they impart some knowledge please?

hey bud,

that's awesome! i used to volunteer at a behavioural school with students who have learning disabilities... it was definitely a challenge and one of the most rewarding jobs i've ever had...

i can not recall the website/ blog, but it was about a former (in 2002, i believe) alt jet in northern honshu japan, who had the privilege of teaching blind students... it was a special class for jsh kids who lacked the sense of sight...

as well, I've been told by a current alt jet that students at some schools are of quite a low level, so teachers do fairly basic stuff even though its high school...

lol... i am going to have quite the opposite experience... teaching in the so called "academic city" of japan... sendai, miyagi.

have fun! please update and let us know more...

az

Special needs could be physical, mental, d/Deaf or blind. Here in Japan I teach at a Yogogakko; school for physically and meantally disabled students.

I also taught Deaf kids, (I minored in Deaf studies), blind kids and other special needs back home so when you find out what type it is I'd be happy to share some advice.

i teach at a school for the mentally and physically handicapped. it was kinda scary when i first started, but i think the teachers there are aware of that and will definitely take it easy on you.

it's definitely one of my favourite places in japan, though. i love walking in there on fridays.

do you have the name of the school? if it's a yogogakkou, or if it just says "school for the handicapped", then it'll be general physical and mental disabilities. the names generally have "school for the deaf" or "school for the blind" tacked on to the end.
    fucking genki

az

Deaf school is rogakko 聾学校

Blind school is mogakko 盲学校

thanks az.
    fucking genki

az

No worries  :wink:

Thanks for all the replies!

I don't have much information about the school, other than it's in Yatsushiro-shi in Kyushu.

Once I get more info I'll be sure to post it, as I have no experience at all in this area :P