Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to NOVA?

Default What happened to NOVA?

I heard there is a news that NOVA has to suspend its service temporaily ? Is it true?

Just found this on the Kyodo news page:

METI to order Nova to suspend part of business for telling lies
    TOKYO, June 13 KYODO

The industry ministry is set to order Nova Corp., Japan's largest English-language school operator, to suspend part of its business for six months for lying to consumers about its services when soliciting students, ministry sources said Wednesday.
    Nova, headquartered in Osaka with a total of about 480,000 students, is suspected of having violated the law aimed at consumer protection in fields such as education, beauty services and arranged marriages.

Here's the link:

http://home.kyodo.co.jp/modules/fstS...storyid=320155

(but I've posted the full text)

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    Just found this on the Kyodo news page:

METI to order Nova to suspend part of business for telling lies
    TOKYO, June 13 KYODO

The industry ministry is set to order Nova Corp., Japan's largest English-language school operator, to suspend part of its business for six months for lying to consumers about its services when soliciting students, ministry sources said Wednesday.
    Nova, headquartered in Osaka with a total of about 480,000 students, is suspected of having violated the law aimed at consumer protection in fields such as education, beauty services and arranged marriages.
    Thanks tom. I wonder what it means by part of its business? Though I suppose I shouldn't be so nosy cos I have never consider NOVA anyway in the first place. Just being curious cos it IS Japan's largets English-language school operator. :?:

VIP

Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

I hope this doesn't keep my boyfriend from being able to come over in September. *head desk*
    Fight like a grapefruit, aim for the eyes.

Well... if they do end up making Nova suspend its eikawa arm, then other companies would step in to fill in the vacuum. As such, it's possible more jobs may be created in the direct aftermath. The market would probably stay the same size though, so eventually the amount of work around would fall back to pre-Nova levels. Such 'Creative destruction' is incidentally one of the main factors that contributed to the success of the Japanese economy after WW2. On the other hand, it may take a while for the Nova people to find new jobs, so maybe in the short term it could be difficult to find work...
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

This job ad (Nagasaki) was posted by NOVA on gaijinpot yesterday, so maybe the news isn't all bad.
    http://www.gaijinpot.com/job_view.php?jid=18879
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

http://www.transpacificradio.com/200...ng-of-the-end/

According to the above link, it reckons that Nova will fold because of this. It is already heavily in debt, and any further hits to their revenue may force them to be completely insolvent.

Interesting really. I knew Nova were screwing its employees over, and thought they were laughing all the way to the bank. All is not what it seems I suppose.

Well I don't think its as easy as people think for them to get teachers. Same as Interac.

They pay peanuts. Not that many people are wanting to uproot their entire life to move to Japan for that kind of money and those kinds of working conditions I suspect.

THey're limiting their labour market to people straight out of uni.

They have to be uni graduates, willing to move to the other side of the world and willing to work for shitty wages and a whole heap of other expenses. I don't think it's as simple to get that many people as people think.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Don't forget the added bad press about sand baths of death

VIP

God, please, sweet Lord, let my boyfriend get his visa and come over here. Even if they fold while he's here, just please let him get that f-ing visa.

Kate it your bf could qualify for a working holiday visa.

It would mean having some cash in the bank (2000 USD).

He'd have to find a job when over here, so its a bit risky, but at least its a back up.

Here's the web link:

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/index.html

VIP

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    Kate it your bf could qualify for a working holiday visa.

It would mean having some cash in the bank (2000 USD).

He'd have to find a job when over here, so its a bit risky, but at least its a back up.

Here's the web link:

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/index.html
    *rubs my chin* Hm. Well, he'd have the money, 'cause with NOVA he's saving up for his travel costs already. We're in Sasebo, which has a large number of eikaiwa groups, like GEOS and AEON and stuff...maybe that'd work.

Thanks Tom, knowing we have an alternative if this one sinks makes me feel a lot better. We have our hopes resting on him being able to come here next year, and the thought of doing another year long distance makes me want to....well, it involves a murderous rampage.

Edit: After reading through the link, it doesn't look like he's necessarily be obligated to find a job? He has to have sufficient funds to live here, and I think he COULD find a job when here to help with that (though I will too, obviously), but the conditions of the visa just say that his primary goal can't be to work or study here long term. He can apply for an initial 6 months, then reapply for 6 months more. We'd only need a year.

VIP

Went for a drink with a bunch of NOVA teachers last night. None of them mentioned suspending the eikaiwa arm. What they did say was that the selling of "packages" (eg, 10-lessons, or 25-lessons at a reduced rate.. bulk discount if you will) was deemed illegal because of the way they handled people who canceled or "returned" their package after only using some of it.

Basically, if you bought a 10 lesson package for 20000 yen, used 3 then canceled they used the standard charge of 2500 yen per lesson to calculate how much you got back.

20000 - (3 x 2500) = 12500 yen returned. Im not sure what they do if you cancel after 9 lessons since 20000 - (9 x 2500) = -2500.

That was probably the root of the issue.
    Mabushiii!!!

According to thishttp://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/nation...na015000c.html, Nova is not allowed to accept any new students for the next 6 months, but they are allowed to continue to honor contracts that are already in place. I really don't see how they continue after this. Sucks to work for Nova now, I bet. Or maybe not...fewer students mean fewer classes to teach, and if they are forced to honor the letter of the original contacts with their teachers (which may very well not be the case), it could mean that nova teachers are being paid the same to do less work. Or not, I really don't know. I'm kinda drunk.

VIP

See, there's that going on - no taking on of new students - but my two friends with NOVA in Tokyo have said that apparently the company is in dire need of new teachers.

So at this point I don't know what to believe, but as long as my boy gets here with a visa, I won't care if NOVA folds in six months. *laughs* I'm a selfish little thing, it's true.

As far as I understand the visa stuff - your bf wouldn't be obliged to find a job, because he'd be on a working holiday visa.

I don't know what they're like about renewal of working holiday visas - I guess if you've got the money to support yourself then they will be happy, if you have a job or not.

There is a blog which is covering the Nova scandal closely... they seem to update it very often.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KateW
    See, there's that going on - no taking on of new students - but my two friends with NOVA in Tokyo have said that apparently the company is in dire need of new teachers.

So at this point I don't know what to believe, but as long as my boy gets here with a visa, I won't care if NOVA folds in six months. *laughs* I'm a selfish little thing, it's true.
    Not as selfish as me, who's thanking my lucky stars that Nova rejected me.

What happened to the nova teachers' web site

www.letsjapan.org

???
    Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died

Who gives a shit?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.