Thread: What is this grammar point?

Default What is this grammar point?

My JTE just asked me to teach the grammar point on page 30 of New Crown for 3年 next week, but I have no clue what the grammatical term is.

Basically, the point looks like this:

To read books every day is important for you.
    ~~It is important for you to read books every day.

I asked my JTE if he knew the grammatical term for it, since I wasn't familiar with the specifics the way I'd been for things such as present perfect, etc, but he doesn't know either.

(Also, if anyone has done any really successful activities with this point, I'd love to hear about them. I'm trying to make things more fun for 3年 because the grammar concepts have been tricker this year.)

az

The grammar point looks to be

"Making Suggestion/Recommendation, Insisting/Demanding"

The construction is

It is + suggestion word + for + object + infinitive

Sorry it took so long to reply. Thanks for the help, Az! My JTE's grandfather died, so we're actually doing the lesson this week. I'm making a board game that's sort of like soccer and having the students create sentences. It enhances their listening, comprehension, reading and creation skills on top of being a game, so hopefully they won't even know they're learning! ^.~

It's not an English grammar point, but people commonly refer to it in Japan as the "It~for~to" grammar point.

It can be explained using funtional grammar - but not traditional grammar (as far as I know) which is used more widely in the US. Japanese JTEs are more likely to be familiar with it too.

The key is that one of the sentences personalises it more than the other and therefore is of a higher modality. It's more imperative. I'd argue that that construction is the second one - but I reckon you could change that with the use of emphasis and tones.

The first one appears to use the collective 'you' anyway. It's important for you to eat your vegetables' - everyone here should eat their veges - but the second one sounds like something you'd say more to someone one on one.

Why are all these grammar questions being bumped anyway?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

some twat is trying to pimp his website
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.