Thread: You know you're in the Inaka if....

Default You know you're in the Inaka if....

After waiting a very long time, I finally received my placement...tokushima-ken kamikatsu-cho. I was very interested in where I would be spending the next year of my life....so like most of you, I googled kamikatsu-cho and low and behold, all the hits i receive are bogus links to websites about someone's lame ass blog which was last updated in 2002. I don't even think i was out of high school then.

I guess honestly speaking, I know very little about Japan (only saying that because I haven't been to Japan yet and I don't believe someone can truly know anything about a place until they've been there) and i'm kind of freaked out by the non-existant group of people who have lived not only in my placement prefecture but in the actual town i'll be living in. As far as living in the Inaka, which i assume this is, hopefully its not as bad as everyone says it is....

Default Re: You know you're in the Inaka if....

Quote Originally Posted by KdubInOz
    ...blog which was last updated in 2002. I don't even think i was out of high school then.
    Well, THAT makes me feel old!

You know you're in the inaka if... Google doesn't say it exists?

(Oh, how Google really does rule the world these days)

Don't worry, my young lad, information is online, but you'll have to decipher those crazy squiggly characters to make any sense of it. If I were you I'd find a Japanese buddy and go over these sites with you to pull out information

Wikipedia entry

Official website

Map of your town

Default Re: You know you're in the Inaka if....

Quote Originally Posted by filmic
    2002. I don't even think i was out of high school then.
    Well, THAT makes me feel old!
    +1

you know you are in the inaka if;

they still use those strange squigly lines to write stuff down.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

You use the google translation thingie to get a vague idea about your town.

if you live in Okayama ken.

Seriously though, Tokushima is a really really beautiful place. I love it down there. Its not exciting by any means but then you know, there's about 2 exciting cities in Japan - Osaka and Tokyo, though I hear Yokohama's good for a laugh?

Anyway the point is that there's a lot of fun to be had in Tokushima just not the clubbing 7 days a week type of fun ...
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    there's a lot of fun to be had in Tokushima just not the clubbing 7 days a week type of fun ...
    there are other kinds?
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

I was surprised too ..

I guess i could settle for 5 days a week....lol or maybe 0 which i feel is going to be my situation....No worries, I was fortunate enough to study abroad in Surfers Paradise, Australia for a year and I think I got all the excessive binge drinking out of my system....at least i think.....

p.s.- I don't know how cool it is in most of your books, but this is a drunk message

I guess i could settle for 5 days a week....lol or maybe 0 which i feel is going to be my situation....No worries, I was fortunate enough to study abroad in Surfers Paradise, Australia for a year and I think I got all the excessive binge drinking out of my system....at least i think.....

p.s.- I don't know how cool it is in most of your books, but this is a drunk message
    Darling, 3000 drunk posts and counting ...

My friend lives in Tokushima and she loves it! Apparently she even has a booming social life AND she has met her boyfriend there.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

If Farmers give you 15 kilos of free strawberries. Yes , thats the latest addition my pred has had in an apparently long line of donations from the local farmers. He promptly turnt it into alcohol. He is a legend.
    Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru
    My friend lives in Tokushima and she loves it! Apparently she even has a booming social life AND she has met her boyfriend there.
    Thats great...is she an ALT? I'm sure Tokushima is great (well i actually can't make that assumption) but i'm just concerned about my proximity to others. The one line on wikipedia about kamikatsu-cho claims that there are only 2,000 people living in the supposed town. 2,000 people...I would consider that a village....I guess i'm just going to have to be patient and see how everything pans out. If I can get on a soccer team and there's at least one bar in my town i'm sure ill be able to manage the rest.

Yes, she is an ALT on JET
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

My town is 7000 and there is no bar.

There's lots of places to buy alcohol though and one can easily make one's own bar on one's balcony.

Plus if you live in a town that small it probably means your house/aprt is pretty big which is good for getting spazzy in.

My village has a bazillion mini-bars filled with elderly and a bazillion barber shops. I have counted 50 barber shops, I have *no idea* how they stay in business unless every citizen does nothing but drink and get their hair done... but come to think of it... there isn't anything else to do in my own private bumblefuck inaka of hell. :wink:
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."