Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CLAIR course

Default CLAIR course

I have heard from alot of people that the CLAIR course is not really worth the time, but I might indulge myself anyways. I'm thinking of doing intermediate but I just want to make sure I won't have any gaps from the beginner course. What topics does the first course cover?

Um it actually moves pretty fast from the start, like it's not beginner beginner stuff after maybe the first two books, so for example into verb ending forms, joining ideas in sentences using shi and toka and all that kind of jazz, um ... thre is some basic stuff like particles. Though on the whole it's a pretty damn slow affair. There's less than 30 or so kanji in the whole series and their coverage is craptacular.

Look I did it for some revision of the basics but found it moved frustratingly slowly (although the textbooks themselves were frustrating in general I suppose). If you feel that you should skip this one I very strongly suggest doing so otherwise you'll end up like me and be banging your head against a wall.

Im doing the advanced course this year which may be too hard but the whole thing looks furiganed so I think it looks more scary than it probably actually is.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Imma sign up for the advanced course, see how I fair... Ideally won't be too much of a problem, since I've passed JLPT level 2. But we'll see how it goes! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman
    Imma sign up for the advanced course, see how I fair... Ideally won't be too much of a problem, since I've passed JLPT level 2. But we'll see how it goes! :wink:
    i am trying for level 2 next year and i think i'll take a crack at the advanced course.

I think the intermediate course covers 3kyuu material so if you can do that then the advanced course seems like the best option.

Beginners is kinda 4kyuu-y and its more than possible to be able to pass 4kyuu by the time the course actually starts if you study so those studious noobs might consider skipping the beginners course?

Edit:

Don't even think about it for kanji study. Its just awful with kanji.

I signed up for Advanced this year, but I'm not through Intermediate yet. I'm wondering if I should keep going with the CLAIR course or focus on my new, shiny copy of Genki 2.

Anybody know if I Genki will take me to Advanced or if I should move from one CLAIR course to the next? (Genki's so much nicer to me...)

Any opinions would be truly helpful! :-D

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I did Intermediate last year and while it certainly isn't perfect I did find it useful. I had a volunteer tutor at the local community centre (500 yen for 6 months, hour and a half a week) and I did the exercises throughout the week then went over them with her. I got hold of the Advanced books (thanks Doomer!) and just finished the third one. Dombay - you're right, a fair bit has furigana, but all the grammar explanations are in Japanese. So I'm using the Tuttle dictionaries of grammar alongside the CLAIR books. Book 1 in both the Intermediate and Advanced books is pretty frustrating, but after that it gets better. But you definitely need to find a Japanese person to ask questions of and to practice speaking with.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    I did Intermediate last year and while it certainly isn't perfect I did find it useful. I had a volunteer tutor at the local community centre (500 yen for 6 months, hour and a half a week) and I did the exercises throughout the week then went over them with her. I got hold of the Advanced books (thanks Doomer!) and just finished the third one. Dombay - you're right, a fair bit has furigana, but all the grammar explanations are in Japanese. So I'm using the Tuttle dictionaries of grammar alongside the CLAIR books. Book 1 in both the Intermediate and Advanced books is pretty frustrating, but after that it gets better. But you definitely need to find a Japanese person to ask questions of and to practice speaking with.
    Yea I work in a room full of Japanese people

They are usually keen to help me with J study because they know im serious about it and i think they're chuffed that I took an interest in their language and culture.

Plus I help them with their English.

As for the question above about Genki and CLAIR course subject matter I think if you do Genki I and II you should be good to go for Advanced? I could be wrong but the intermediate course seems to cover up to the end of 3q material and so does Genki, just in different orders and because they are both in 2 parts they will not cover them in the same places or at the same rate.

However I like my kanji and the books don't seem to so much as teach you kanji, radicals, stroke order, etc as present them to you. Probably best to not just use one book. I used a combination of Genki (awesome textbooks both of them) and the Basic Kanji books (red and bluey green) by Bonjinsha which well got me through the nasty beginning stages of J. Though my kanji is much better than any of my other J skillz so if you just want the the 3q kanji and maybe 20 or so more Genki'd probably sort you. I know about 700 of the little bastards, only 300 more to go before JLPT time!

Thanks for the response, Dombay. I've had the Intermediate Books for a while thanks to the lovely Wicket, but I haven't gotten through most of them because I couldn't find the right electronic dictionar(ies) at the store(s) and mine wasn't enough. I finally got one this summer, but then I got busy planning workshops at the BOE or getting distracted by the other ALTs when we weren't busy. :x

So I do want to go through both book sets, but I was wondering which I should focus on the fastest for November.

Then again, if I can get through a chapter of Genki every 2-3 days, I can still grab onto the CLAIR books with new concepts, so if I work diligently, I might be able to do at least *some* of both.

As for speaking with Japanese people, I feel very lucky because I meet with my neighbor once a week and she will always help me if I have questions or go over my work with me. I just felt bad always asking her for some stuff I could do on my own, so I put off the Intermediate books and focused on Kanji instead. Sometimes when they aren't busy, I also ask Kyoto-sensei or my one JTE for help.

Hmm, b/w your response and my own thought process w/the two-three days thing just now, I think I'll jump into Genki first.

本当に、ありがとうございました!

When does the CLAIR course start anyway? My supervisor frantically had me sign up the date of the deadline, however, I haven't heard anything since and I can't find the info I had from orientation. Any ideas?

Expect your Japanese to start getting worse in November. 1 book a month.

Just got the first book for the CLAIR course, but no cool thing about Japanese culture (the paper thing that would talk about New Year cards and such)
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Which level are you doing this year narni?

I don't want to touch the thing till after the JLPT. But the first test is due on the 7th so it might be a scramble to get it done in time.

But then i'll just do the test not the course for the first book in that case.

A mate of mine left her books from last year with me. Just had a look at them. They look pretty easy just boring ... Oh well.

I chose the intermediate course. I will take any Japanese help I can get. But this book seems very easy, which is probably a good sign for my study. What I hate , and with Minna No Nihongo as well, is that they continue giving Furigana for all the kanji we should know by now. I can't go and tippex them all out. Such a pain
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Just cracked the cover of the advanced course.

I really really thought that it would be harder than this.

Maybe it gets harder?

I'm only a few chapters into it but its not exactly brain exercise so far.

Oh, fuck off, Dombay. It took me 5 weeks to finish the first book of the Advanced course. If it's so easy, why didn't you apply for the translator's course instead.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Oh, fuck off, Dombay. It took me 5 weeks to finish the first book of the Advanced course. If it's so easy, why didn't you apply for the translator's course instead.
    Because I thought it would be harder

... think I might have offended Wicket ... sorry ...

No mate, just was not having a good day and you were an easy target. My apologies.
    Not your fault if you're smarter than me. :smt023

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Just cracked the cover of the advanced course.

I really really thought that it would be harder than this.

Maybe it gets harder?

I'm only a few chapters into it but its not exactly brain exercise so far.
    I signed up for the advanced course too, and when I got the book today I skipped right to the test and completed it with no mistakes in like 20 minutes. Oh well, I guess I can use it for review. :?

Oh fuck off, Keekers. It took me five weeks to...

ah, forget it.