Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: CLAIR course

We were supposed to paraphrase what was being said for the listening? Oops, guess I got those four wrong, since I did try to make the match. >.<

For those of you who say that Advanced is really easy, can you talk about what other books you've studied from? I know a few of the chapters due to the two Genki books, but a lot of it *is* new to me. What would be a really good coursebook to study from that's better than CLAIR? I would love the recommendations! [That being said, to translate all the new grammar, The Beginner/Intermediate Grammar Dictionaries are my best friend...until they don't have anything and my denshi jisho doesn't have anything, which happened for two weeks in book two, but then my neighbor was my best friend. ]

Am I the only one who feels pressure on book deadlines when it doesn't actually exist? For example, I know the second book isn't due until the end of Jan, and the third at the end of Feb, but I'm already panicking over being "late" to turn in the second book b/c the third book is here. Granted, I've only got a week and a half or so left of the book and I've at least looked at every chapter. I just know that b/c of the holidays, I'll be all, "I'm not done book 2! I have to do Book 3!" come January. I think it's b/c I trained myself last year to have each test in the mail a few days before the next book arrived, but that was beginner. Just curious if I'm the only one with the weird guilt complex...

New years resolution time. For those of you who are actually making the claire course work for you, what's the trick? really.

I try to get them done within a few days of them landing anywhere near my desk.

I had it half done by Mid December.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by cb
    New years resolution time. For those of you who are actually making the claire course work for you, what's the trick? really.
    Do them everyday. I find that the textbook can be completed far quicker than they say, so just do a little every day.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

I hate the CLAIR books so much but I'm going to try and answer the second one today

there are some things i like about the clair course (advanced) so far

1) makes me feel smart when i fill in the answers and i know i will get them right (thanks to the open book open dictionary policy)
    2) relevant situations (sometimes) for example book 2's dilemma about choosing between playing basketball with the students vs. going to a taco party!

... taco party!

is that anything like a sausage party?

heh heh, fish... snicker....

Hey...

I was just wondering if anyone had done the translating or linguistics courses and how they found them?

I'm almost finished a BA in J which included a year studying J at a J university... so i was thinking of doing the advanced course if i get accepted... but it's been said that the advanced course contains grammar like ~てもいいですか.. if it doesn't get much harder than that, then maybe i should just skip it... :?:

I think you have to be here for a year for them to let you enroll in the courses above "advanced." I don't remember being offered the choice.

man this thing is a ball of shit. Not that I've gotten past book one actually, but I opened up book 4 to look at it today. It was teaching "~ている" and "~たことがある"

This does not inspire me to crack down and use this crap.

Default Advanced

OK, so I did like 75% of Genki intermediate. So, my first question is: Should I jump into the advanced by CLAIR?

Q2: Do you write exams? Supervised? I thought it was all take-home..

Q3: My Kanji reading ability is low. Does the advanced text have lots of furigana??

Advanced is not very advanced at all.

Just do it.

casual if you go to the JET website, there is a link about japanese courses. you can then take a test and see which level you should study. it told me i should take advanced, i don't think it is terribly advanced but perhaps by the time you finish it you should be advanced, haha. I'm looking forward to doing the advanced course then hitting up the translating one the following year. and if i stick around for a 3rd year.. who knows i might do the teaching one too. if my CO allows for it in their budget ><

Advanced CLAIR course takes you up to about 2kyu in terms of grammar, and vocabulary. Even though I already passed 2kyu, I think it's good because it's a great review and the vernacular that they use is really close to real life. I recommend doing it if you want. Very little romaji though, and no English, so caveat emptor.

Default The Test

So....do we do the test in the privacy of our own home?? That means we can use a dictionary and it's open book?? I read the website and it didn't mention an exam supervisor. Is this correct?
    If so, I guess a lot of JET's probably get their Japanese firends to check their test before they hand it in...

Default Re: The Test

Quote Originally Posted by casual
    So....do we do the test in the privacy of our own home?? That means we can use a dictionary and it's open book?? I read the website and it didn't mention an exam supervisor. Is this correct?
    If so, I guess a lot of JET's probably get their Japanese firends to check their test before they hand it in...
    i guess.. if you are interested in cheating yourself. it is not like passing these course is going to look fantastic on your resume or anything.

Default Cheating

hahaha I guess not. But I was thinking more along the lines of comfort. I don't want to do a sit in supervised exam with a time limit. I just want to study as a hobby and see how well I do. The goal for me is to learn. Never was a fan of testing. So, this sounds good. Plus, I am thinking of taking the advanced..I took the online test but didn't pass the intermediate one...i guess i forget the grammar a bit...anyway. Will review and jump to advanced. I want to try for the translation the next year! 頑張ります!!

to answer questions two and three of whoever asked them:

yes it's open book - just ask the nearest Japanese person to check your answers if you're that way inclined. They'll never know!

Yes its got ridiculous amounts of furigana. Like I said - it's not all that advanced.

The intermediate books are pretty weird with kanji. They'll put some rather complex compounds in there, but then put the days of the week in romaji.

The grammar aspect is really slow, with only one or two specific points covered per book.

At least this is the last month!

Default Re: The Test

Quote Originally Posted by karumu
    Quote Originally Posted by casual
    i guess.. if you are interested in cheating yourself. it is not like passing these course is going to look fantastic on your resume or anything.
    Haha, no shit. I noticed a few of the JETs here were copying each others answers to get them in by the deadline so they wouldn't have to do the sixth book. If that isn't compelely counter-productive, I don't know what is. If you want to learn the language, don't cheat yourself. Some useless CLAIR certificate is gonna hold about as much weight on a job application as that highschool honorable mention prize.