Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: CLAIR course

Default Re: CLAIR course

Just got back my results for test 5. I am 5 for 5, on time and all so far. I read that if I pass 5 tests I don't need to take the 6th one.

Given the only thing I now want out of this Clair Course is the certificate of completion, would you guys just forget about the last test and not turn it in?

I envy you. I only took the 1st test of intermediate. :-(

i lost the first one of mine when I went to post it, I have since not bothered to do any of them as they are far too easy, oh well.

Do CLAIR contact you and go "bad boy you failed"?
    and/or will they bother to contact your CO about it? not that I see that happening but it:s one less conversation I would like to avoid.
    Shut up Hikari / Muffles / uthinkimlost. (delete as appropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    minor rant: Waldroon mentioned Maria Ozawa in the japenese movie thread. Me being the fool I am assumed he was being serious and googled her at work.

I was averaging about 95 on all the tests, but I got a 90 on test five. I'm guessing test 6 is going to be worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Only a fool would do a teachers workload for an assistants salary.

I thought it had to be postmarked by the deadline and not due by the deadline so I realized the first 2 tests didn't count so I quit.

I got the GH and Japanese for JETs in the mail, yesterday. The J4J has a couple of CDs that accompany it. Now, I ripped them to put on my mp3player... and I'm not positive, but I think the tracklist may be out of order. I'm going to check it again tonight, to be sure...

Skimming through it, there's a lot of romaji and only some kana. I haven't seen any kanji listed, but I'm guessing this book is the bare essentials...

I've heard bad things about the class from almost everyone. My weakest point is kanji knowledge, so I'm leaning more and more towards focusing on studying for the JLPT 2 exam rather than this. Is the CLAIR course a good supplement, or should I just ignore it?
    Quote Originally Posted by wry bread View Post
    Oh God, I wouldn't want a dude on an internet forum to think I'm fat.

I started taking the vocabulary from the book and putting it into CueCard, for later. I use Kanji Box for kanji flashcards, right now... I'll probably add grades 1-2 or 3 into CueCard before I go...

kbecker4, a lot of things about the course upset me, just like they do most other JETs, but I'd say if you have a lot of spare time, yes, it's a good supplement. As much as I scribble snarky comments in the margins, I really have learned quite a bit from those books. I also take weekly lessons, and the books are good for making me go "wtf?" about various points, and then getting a really nice explanation from my teacher.

All in all, yeah, they're nice to have around if you have enough free time that they don't cut into study time with good books/teachers/etc. They're not so great as your only learning material. And you will definitely want some additional materials for studying kanji. The way it's presented in the CLAIR books is one of my biggest pet peeves about the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Komadori View Post
    I got the GH and Japanese for JETs in the mail, yesterday. The J4J has a couple of CDs that accompany it. Now, I ripped them to put on my mp3player... and I'm not positive, but I think the tracklist may be out of order. I'm going to check it again tonight, to be sure...

Skimming through it, there's a lot of romaji and only some kana. I haven't seen any kanji listed, but I'm guessing this book is the bare essentials...
    Don't use J4J, it's a shitty book that will make your Japanese worse. The only thing that could be remotely useful is that kana chart they give you.
    http://tokyoscum.blogspot.com/ I'm a complete dick or your money back!

GentleよりWildに, WildよりDangerous, 試してみれば!

さいて! さいた! 風に揺られて
    おだやかな坂は薄化粧
    下駄鳴らして口笛合わせ
    凛として はんなりの こころ

東方封魔録

Has anyone gotten test 6 back yet? I'm getting fidgety here. I sent 4, 5, and 6 together, and as someone who genuinely misses getting tests back in college, the wait is torturous.

I got bored of reading at page 4. Can anyone put some examples up of the advanced course? I didn't use Genki in school so I don't really know what book 2 of Genki equals.

I'll probably wind up taking the advanced course but only because I really want to do the translation course and stuff the next year.
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. - George Bernard Shaw

I didn't like the CLAIR course. I signed up for the beginner course and it starts off fine, but as it progresses, it becomes really frustrating and I found it wasn't helping me, even after reviewing the lessons. The kanji was absolutely useless, it's presented without a stroke order, without any sort of information about it, and after the first few ones, no translation of its meaning.

If you want to give it a try and see for yourself, go right ahead, the course is free after all.
    "We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

I should also say I double majored, one in Japanese, so I'd start with the advanced course.
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. - George Bernard Shaw

There's a "placement exam" on the CLAIR website - http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/course/test01.htm

Cool, thank you.

test results should be coming! I got mine right as I was leaving school today.