Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 157

Thread: JLPT Apps Out

  1. #1
    Daimyo ***** dombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mountain of peaches and fruit
    Posts
    9,859

    Default JLPT Apps Out

    According to BD.

    So ... what level are we taking? Studying hard? Etc?

    I am going to actually turn up for 3Q this year rather than my couldn't be bothered (i think i had a good excuse but i cannot remmember it) effort of last year.

    Et toi?
    Melanie: back!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

    'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

  2. #2
    Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S-A-G-A Saga!
    Posts
    2,741

    Default

    1kyuu. I've been studying since the spring holidays, though I only properly got my shit together a month or so ago. It's going to be a close one, and so I have this nice little emotional rollercoaster going. Some days I'll be like yeah, sweet, if I keep on studying like this I'll pass, no problem, and other days I'll feel like my Japanese sucks worse than Macdonaldo Dow and I may as well not bother because I'm going to fail anyway. Great shit.

    Where do you get the forms from, anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

  3. #3
    Daimyo ***** dombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mountain of peaches and fruit
    Posts
    9,859

    Default

    Maruzen or gaijin book selling bookshops.
    Melanie: back!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

    'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

  4. #4
    Resident ewok wicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina
    Posts
    8,525

    Default

    Had I stayed at my old base school, I would have been going for 2kyuu (minimum 4 hours a day to study!) But things are a lot busier at my new school (I prefer it, don't get me wrong) and my summer vacation is pretty much taken up with Tokyo orientation, Osaka orientation and an English camp (my school starts again on August 20th - all students).
    So, 3kyuu for me, too, Dombay. Kanji will be my killer, but a bit of study per day and that should be okay. I just wish the test asked us what the kanji meant in English, rather than requiring us to give the hiragana reading!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

  5. #5
    Daimyo ***** dombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    mountain of peaches and fruit
    Posts
    9,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Had I stayed at my old base school, I would have been going for 2kyuu (minimum 4 hours a day to study!) But things are a lot busier at my new school (I prefer it, don't get me wrong) and my summer vacation is pretty much taken up with Tokyo orientation, Osaka orientation and an English camp (my school starts again on August 20th - all students).
    So, 3kyuu for me, too, Dombay. Kanji will be my killer, but a bit of study per day and that should be okay. I just wish the test asked us what the kanji meant in English, rather than requiring us to give the hiragana reading!
    yea kanji is easily my strongest point. however my vocab and grammar let me down from otherwise being pretty good with the reading section. So the plan is to romp through 3Q so i have a good jumping on point and just generally have everything under control. I would fail 2Q to bits in all but the kanji section and I don't think my self-esteem is up to that.

    But im told that you can do the 3kyuu-2kyuu jump in a year if you do well in 3Q and study bloody hard - most people complain about the 2kyuu kanji anyway and im not so scared of that. So the plan is to try to do really well in 3Q and see what happens next year.

    Pretty sure i'll be recontracting for a third year at this stage and i want to take advantage of it and go back to my work/study in Australia and be able to use the skills as a learner and as someone who knows a bit about a foreign language, to good use. But then again maybe im just reaching for unreachable stars and i'll end up a cranky old fart in some tafe contemplating suicide. See what cards turn up.
    Melanie: back!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

    'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

  6. #6
    Senior Member chibitotoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hiroshima City
    Posts
    749

    Default

    2-kyuu. I haven't taken the test since three years ago, at which point I passed 3-kyuu with flying colors. I should be able to handle 2-kyuu with little difficulty, but I definitely need to get studying on dem kanji soon.

  7. #7
    Senior Member jacqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Urasoe, Okinawa
    Posts
    2,459

    Default

    i'm going for 3kyuu, though i am going to wait a bit before sending my application in.

    at the moment i can pass 4kyuu easily, so it's no challenge at all.

    i'd rather work my arse off and challenge myself than pass something piss easy. i have no doubt that i'll fail anyway, but at least i'll give it a try.

    i figure 2 hours of studying per day (except weekends), pumping it up to 3 or 4 hours during vac and in november, and i won't stand too bad a chance.

    starting actual lessons in 2 weeks as well. huzzah for motivation... let's see how long this lasts... :P
    fucking genki

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Finished studying for 3kyuu...so I'm studying for 2kyuu...but I doubt I'll be able to pass it. I'd rather just continue studying for it and see how well I can do and then retake it next year. ^^

    The kanji isn't horrible so far...it's really the vocab that's killing me...there's just so much of it!

  9. #9
    Senior Member chibitotoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hiroshima City
    Posts
    749

    Default

    While we're on the topic, how are you people studying for the specific levels? Are there good level-specific study materials available somewhere? Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere before, but I haven't done any serious study in a few years so I haven't been paying attention.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gojo, Nara
    Posts
    819

    Default

    What are the registration deadlines?
    The woman expresses her gratitude and goes back to Pope's house and sleeps with him.

  11. #11
    Senior Member saritajuanita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chicago ---> NW Kyushu
    Posts
    647

    Default

    2 kyuu for me

    i don't have any study materials or a study plan yet though....
    i can get study stuff in japan, yes?

    never taken the jlpt

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nagano-shi
    Posts
    791

    Default

    2kyuu

    Yeah, I know next to nothing about the test, but I've been studying the language for way too damned long not to pass it.

    The test is in November, yeah?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gojo, Nara
    Posts
    819

    Default

    It's always been the first weekend of December when I've taken it, but that's been outside of Japan.
    The woman expresses her gratitude and goes back to Pope's house and sleeps with him.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Zee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    516

    Default

    The test is December 2. Here's the site.

    I haven't decided what level yet. I think I need to look at the study guides to decide what level. Several years back I missed passing Level 2, but I'd been too preoccupied with job applications and a thesis to actually study for the thing. Maybe if I was super dedicated I could do it, or I should just drop down to Level 3 and see how I feel the following year. :?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chibitotoro
    While we're on the topic, how are you people studying for the specific levels? Are there good level-specific study materials available somewhere? Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere before, but I haven't done any serious study in a few years so I haven't been paying attention.
    There are several books you can buy at a Maruzen or Junkudo. I'm using this thin green one for grammar, 完全マスター series 2級の日本語能力試験文法問題対策 just flows off the tongue...there's a few more books in that series for listening and reading, but they're all the way on the other side of the room...

    Quote Originally Posted by saritajuanita
    2 kyuu for me

    i don't have any study materials or a study plan yet though....
    i can get study stuff in japan, yes?
    never taken the jlpt
    I'll help you when you get here. ^_~

    Quote Originally Posted by samesong
    2kyuu

    Yeah, I know next to nothing about the test, but I've been studying the language for way too damned long not to pass it.

    The test is in November, yeah?
    That's not a good attitude to have...also...how many Japanese style tests have you done? It doesn't exactly test your knowledge of the language (I mean it does to some degree), but a large part of it is how well you've learned how to take the test and memorize obscure grammar points. It's the same thing with the driver's test here...people can drive and pass the one back in their home country, but they haven't learned how to take the test here, so they fail.

  16. #16
    Cool Cutie Fighter! Hyakuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Your mom's house.
    Posts
    6,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrook
    There are several books you can buy at a Maruzen or Junkudo. I'm using this thin green one for grammar, 完全マスター series 2級の日本語能力試験文法問題対策 just flows off the tongue...there's a few more books in that series for listening and reading, but they're all the way on the other side of the room...
    I used the 完全マスター as well. The workbook was pretty useless but the kanji list was really helpful to memorize the kanji with. i don't know about you guys, but i learn kanji better when it's put together as a compound, like say "英語" in a sentence. sure, most of the time its the onyomi pronunciation, but for me it's best to learn the onyomi before the kunyomi because you see it used more in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrook
    That's not a good attitude to have...also...how many Japanese style tests have you done? It doesn't exactly test your knowledge of the language (I mean it does to some degree), but a large part of it is how well you've learned how to take the test and memorize obscure grammar points. It's the same thing with the driver's test here...people can drive and pass the one back in their home country, but they haven't learned how to take the test here, so they fail.
    i personally don't agree with this statement at all. the JLPT is like any other language proficiency test out there, e.g. the english LPI exam. there is no "special" way to write the test, it's a straightforward test that looks at grammar principles, vocabulary, reading, and kanji knowledge. i don't think it matter's whether you've taken a japanese style test before (whatever exactly that means), because this test to me was almost identical to any other exams i've written outside of school.

    i do agree with having to memorize some obscure grammar points though, because it does have some crap in there you may never run into ever. at the same time though, if any of you have ever written the english LPI exam (i had to for my stupid university), it also has countless obscure grammar stuff that you'll never speak/read in real life.

  17. #17
    Pandilex
    Guest

    Default

    I'm in a similar position to dombay, gonna try 3.

    I reckon I can just about scrape through it =)

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I used and really liked the 実力アップ series when I was studying for 2級 last year.

  19. #19
    Senior Member psychohistoric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    U.S. -> S.Japan
    Posts
    1,595

    Default

    I'll be doing the 3 kyu. I took the practice test the other day and barely failed. I figure with another 4 or 5 months of studying I should be able to breeze through it.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gojo, Nara
    Posts
    819

    Default

    If you're confident about passing 3kyuu, take 2kyuu. Seriously. Passing 3kyuu nets you nothing out of the ego boost. But 2kyuu can help get jobs. Even if you fail 2kyuu, taking it really helps you know what to focus on.
    The woman expresses her gratitude and goes back to Pope's house and sleeps with him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •