Thread: A Question about Heisig's book

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Default A Question about Heisig's book

I was looking at buying Heisig's book (I have no problem connecting the pronunciation to kanji, but I have a fair bit of trouble remembering how to write them, so Heisig sounds perfect for that) and I was just wondering - by "complete course", does he mean all the kanji you're likely to come across in daily life, or just the first few hundred you're likely to learn? The reason I ask is that if possible I'd like to be able to just get it out whenever I've forgotten how to write a kanji, rather than sit down and read the whole thing.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

I wouldn't suggest it for that. I've only really toyed with it not studied it seriously but i think you'd have just as much joy writing them over and over again the old fashioned way. It's just a radicals game in Heisig. You can do that with a piece of paper and a pen for free.

But then I have the opposite problem with kanji. I can usually read and write them no problem but cannot pronounce them because of the whole China-love thing. Its supremely useless for that anyway which is maybe why I don't like it.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I wouldn't suggest it for that. I've only really toyed with it not studied it seriously but i think you'd have just as much joy writing them over and over again the old fashioned way. It's just a radicals game in Heisig. You can do that with a piece of paper and a pen for free.

But then I have the opposite problem with kanji. I can usually read and write them no problem but cannot pronounce them because of the whole China-love thing. Its supremely useless for that anyway which is maybe why I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay

Hmm. The radicals game seems like it might work for me, though. My Japanese teacher did that with one kanji the other day and now I can remember how to write it no problem. So I was thinking that if I could look at a memory trick type thing every time I got stuck on a kanji, I might actually be able to write a paragraph without grabbing my wordtank to remind myself how to write the kanji.

So, can you remember by any chance how many kanji are in it?
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

It worked wonders for me and I can actually see kanji I don't know as actual characters and not blobs of lines now.
    Anyway, the book covers 2042 characters.
    And dombay, correct me if I'm wrong, but you know Chinese, right? See, the point of this book is to turn one into someone like you.
    Anyway, it's only a $42 book, and it might work great for you like it did me. Worth the wager, I'd say.
    The woman expresses her gratitude and goes back to Pope's house and sleeps with him.

I wouldn't say I KNOW chinese. There's people on this board (Mark and Xiaojie i think) who are a lot better at Chinese than me. But I also think their Japanese is pretty shit hot too so I think some knowledge of Chinese is definitely advantageous.

Pandilex

I'd definately recommend heisig, it sounds perfect for what you want.

Doing it yourself isn't recommended. Sure, you can look at the radicals and put them together in the same was as heisig, but heisig offers structure so you don't get confused. Many kanji are almost identical. You don't want to get them confused.

Some of the book is available free online so why not try it?

I don't advise brute force writing kanji over and over. It might work for common kanji but lesser used kanji you'll forget. Plus writing over and over is a chore when you learn them in seconds using heisig. I've learned some 450 from heisig and when I tested myself I got all but 2 correct.

That's great! I've just ordered it on Amazon for about the same price revenantkioku said. Thanks guys!

As for whether it's useful, I guess it all comes down to the learner. It sounds like it's aimed at people like me who have no probs with the readings but have trouble remembering how to write it, so obviously people who are the opposite will find it redundant.

Just remember, the book's goal is teaching you to remember the characters. Not learn Japanese. It's not your main kanji tool, but one to help you get a strong foundation.
    The woman expresses her gratitude and goes back to Pope's house and sleeps with him.