Thread: Nightmare

Default Nightmare

Alright, I'm stuck in a pretty crappy situation at the moment which i'm about to elaborate on to those of you who may care to read and offer some advice.

I was just called by my consulate (S.F) today telling me that I have a problem with my passport and that this problem is interfering with obtaining my visa.

Basically the situation is that my first name was spelled incorrectly on my passport. There is an N instead of where a W should be in my first name and I had never noticed that before. I know most of you are like, how didn't you noticed your name was misspelled on your passport...well i guess when it was first issued, when i was much younger, I didn't really pay enough attention to it, and since then I never really glanced at it to make sure everything was correct since i just assumed it was. I received my passport in 2001, I've traveled to about 4 different countries and received 2 visas...1 for a study abroad for an academic year and another visa was issued when I was a minor living abroad while my dad was doing research. I had no problem obtaining a visa during those times.

So now the issue comes out basically at the last possible minute about my passport. I'm thinking, if this was brought to my attention last week, it wouldn't have been a problem for me to try and resolve the issue but now that I only have about a week and its basically impossible for me to schedule an appointment at the regional passport office before that time, that i'm kind of just shit out of luck because of one letter out of the 32 letters in my full name is incorrect.

If you have any advice please let me know ASAP.

Banned

Get your ass to the passport office and throw yourself on their mercy - I don't really see what other option you have.

Maybe you'll luck out and find a helpful employee who's receptive to your plight?

Get on the phone to them right now!

You may be delayed getting to Japan, but you'll get there. Just get your ass to the passport palace and try to work out a deal. I don't think they will kick you out of JET now. If they didn't kick me out a week and a half before my scheduled departure, I don't think you have to worry now.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

What did the Japanastani consulate say when they told you this?

Im sure all you're missing is the orienation and maybe a few weeks sitting at your desk staring at hte wall.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I'm no expert but...

I would think, they would either a) issue you with a temporary passport and you would get another one in Japan or b) add some kind of amendment explaining the fault - with an official seal on it.

I think the main question you should be asking though - is how the fuck they only picked this up NOW :? - It's their fault as much as yours really, as they wouldn't have booked your ticket without checking the passport first.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

you can go to your regional passport issuing authority and request for an emergency passport. you have to pay something extra like another 100 over the 65-70 it costs but they can make it in like 2-3 days. i know plenty of ppl who have lost their passport right before a trip and have had this done. i know there's a passport issuing place in dc so this might require a drive since they make it on site at whatever regional authority is closest to you and driving there would be faster than mailing it b/c they could hand you the new passport. here's the gov'ts passport site http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...ting_2654.html . it says something about printing errors take less than 30 days to correct, but i would call them and explain the situation and try and see how you can get one faster. i hope this helps.

oh san francisco has a regional passport issuing authority so i bet you could get it done fast. SAN FRANCISCO Passport Agency
    95 Hawthorne Street
    5th Floor
    San Francisco, CA 94105-3901

it says: NOTE: San Francisco Passport Agency serves customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. An appointment is required.

so call them today!

Hours: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays
    Automated Appointment Number: 1-877-487-2778

arthur has turned into the yellow pages.
    "Whenever Westerners don't understand something, they simply think its Zen" - Yasujiro Ozu

Thanks for the info. Its funny because when you call the customer service representatives they all tell you the same useless unhelpful garbage. It is almost as if they are reading from a script and are only allowed to say one of three things.

Basically I can't make an appointment since there are no slots within now and next Friday. So I guess my only option is to pull a mission impossible and bust my way into the agency.

I should probably start preparing....

Dude!!!!!!!! Whats up with this????? Thats crazy......

Be aware though that a temp passport would have to have to have visas and reentry permits and stuff rentered in by immigration when you get your new one from Osaka or Tokyo or wherever your nearest consulate is.. This is annoying and expensive. It can also cost you a day's worth of nenkyu.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Be aware though that a temp passport would have to have to have visas and reentry permits and stuff rentered in by immigration when you get your new one from Osaka or Tokyo or wherever your nearest consulate is.. This is annoying and expensive. It can also cost you a day's worth of nenkyu.
    No, the school should not demand nenkyu since it is an important living thing.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

fuck it dude, just go bowling.
    "Whenever Westerners don't understand something, they simply think its Zen" - Yasujiro Ozu

I lost my passport in Rome and managed to get them to issue a new one in a day. If they can manage that outside the country...SURELY they can cope within your own boarders!!

(you might just have to pay a hefty sum!)

Quote Originally Posted by josy
    I lost my passport in Rome and managed to get them to issue a new one in a day. If they can manage that outside the country...SURELY they can cope within your own boarders!!
    Yeah . . . but things have gotten really hairy at "Homeland Security" since You-Know-When-11. Getting a passport sort of sucks balls.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherG
    Quote Originally Posted by josy
    Yeah . . . but things have gotten really hairy at "Homeland Security" since You-Know-When-11. Getting a passport sort of sucks balls.
    lol, I was basically going to post the same thing...here in the U.S. they have to check all of your documents 100 times to make sure you aren't a terrorist first before any action can be taken on your application. I'm just hoping they are somewhat understanding although i'm not going to hold my breath.