Thread: offering your condolences

Default offering your condolences

I figure you can't tell someone "ごめんなさい" when you hear their mother/father died. there are usually set phrases for situations like these. anyone know some? I already know "お祈りします".

かわいそう?

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Just asked my super-bilingual Kouchou Sensei, and he told me this:

この度のお父さん/お母さんのご逝去につきまして哀悼申し上げます。
    Kono tabi no otousan [father]/okaasan [mother] no goseikyo ni tsukimashite aisou moushiagemasu.

This is really polite, but he says it's best to be polite in this situation even if it's your mate. If it's not your mate, you can make "otousan" or "okaasan" politer by changing the "san" to "sama".
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

thanks km! I will try to remember that and say it next time I see him. now I'm writing a letter of condolence, and this is what I have so far (checked by a JTE):

お父様がおなくなりになったことを聞きました。Xさんに大変なことでしょう。お父様のごめいふくをお祈りします。

even my JTE was kind of stumped as to what you can write in this kind of letter. there are so many things you can say in English: "I'm so sorry for your loss", "I am keeping you in my thoughts at this difficult time", etc., but the JTE says they don't translate very clearly into Japanese.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

There is a great book called "Writing letters in Japanese" that covers all of this, including what to put on the envelope etc.
    My copy is 12 years old but it's still being published (I think by Tuttle?).
    It has letters of condolence, letters asking for favours, letters of thanks, congratulations, you name it.

I think it's great that you are going to so much trouble to let your teacher know you are sorry for his loss. I wouldn't even worry about any errors that might slip in - this is one case where the thought really is what counts.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls