Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignore List

Default Ignore List

Is there any chance you could add the ignore feature as is used over at Big Daikon? I'm sure it'll be an easy to add module somewhere

richard p is looking at me funny...he also looks scruffy and generally lowers the tone of the site...BAN! 8O :wink:
    If i told you you had a good body, would you take your clothes off and dance around for me?

Can you ban everyone else but me? They're all weirdos!!!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    Hmm... Any reason? If there's a member in particular that is causing problems, maybe it would be easier if he/she is removed from the site?
    Well I'm sure it's the same for a lot of us, certain members rub other people up the wrong way and it would be convenient to have just have an ignore button, so you can't see their posts any more.

VIP

Oh dear. Its a sad day for ITIL indeed, if this feature is needed. Where's Phil? We need him to say "spread the love" or something.

I suppose this feature could probably be added, but can't you just ignore them by not reading their posts or something?
    Mabushiii!!!

VIP

OK OK, I think I found the upsetting thread. People seem to be taking each other the wrong way as I read it, but anyway, this kind of thing (with the excessive quoting etc) hasn't happened very often on ITIL, and I'd like to think that by not having an Ignore function, we encourage people to be a bit more responsible with what they say.

A lot of the problem with internet "flaming" and "ranting" is that the perpetrators know their identity is hidden, and they will never meet in real life. This is not necessary the case for us, we may well meet at orientations, training days, and JET parties etc...

So, "take it easy!" and remember that people dont usually mean to be as argumentative as they can sometimes come across on the internet.

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

I agree Matt, an 'ignore' function would destroy so much of what we have here. It's another step towards BD!

My previous post still stands, however.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Quote Originally Posted by dobharrison
    I agree Matt, an 'ignore' function would destroy so much of what we have here. It's another step towards BD!

My previous post still stands, however.
    And what's wrong with big daikon? It seems fashionable here to slate big daikon, but the amount of useful info I got there compared to here is infinite. At least on big daikon you can have an argument, without a full scale peace operation been started.

Edit: Reading that back it seems harsh, I like this site but both have their advantages, I spent an equal amount of time at both.

Why do you want to have an argument? What happened to civil discussion?

I think the problem with arguing on an internet forum is that things can so easily get out of hand and people are very easily misunderstood. I've seen two instances on this site now where arguments have evolved into personal insults, which isn't really acceptable.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Big Daikon and you're right that both sites have their advantages. Therefore, I hope this one remains much as it is!

At least on big daikon you can have an argument, without a full scale peace operation been started
    Can't help but feel this is directed at me. And Im not gonna respond with further agro - I just thought it was stupid to have fallen out over something we both posted on a web forum. I dont want to get off to a bad start with anyone before I meet them. Is that not reasonable?

hometown: Perth, Western Australia - Was a JET in Yabu-shi, Hyogo-ken for 5 years, now in Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by richardp
    And what's wrong with big daikon?
    Nothing is wrong with Big Daikon.

It seems fashionable here to slate big daikon, but the amount of useful info I got there compared to here is infinite. At least on big daikon you can have an argument, without a full scale peace operation been started.
    I don't believe anyone has slated BD here, however you cannot compare the amount of useful info. This site is... what.. all of a few months old now? how long has BD been around? Plus posters on BD are predominantly current / past JETs .... with ITIL containing most of the incoming JETs.

I think the aim of ITIL is to learn from some of the better aspects of BD in order to aviod the lesser aspects of BD. We are trying to build an online community. (At least that is the way that I look at this site and these forums).

Edit: Reading that back it seems harsh, I like this site but both have their advantages, I spent an equal amount of time at both.
    I agree, both do have their advantages, however I find the atmosphere of ITIL more agreeable.

Gareth

VIP

I have to agree that arguments on the internet often start from nothing, and degenerate very quickly. If you like that sort of thing, there are plenty of places to pull out the flamethrower and have a slanging match, but not here.

Maybe im just a wannabe upperclass Brit, but I think it would be good if this site is a safe place for a civil discussion. Every site has its features and specialties, so there's no reason for all forums to be the same.

Thats not to say its all high-brow stuff, but lets keep the insults and circular arguments to a minimum please!

Matt
    Mabushiii!!!

I agree Matt, you big fool! Oops!

See? It can escalate so easily!

Seriously though, I'd really like this site to be a friendly place where people are civil and respectful. Moderators, keep up the good work!

I love you all.

Deeply and passionately.

-Justin

May I ask why you've added this now? Is it because of recent events here?

What happens if I ignore myself? Will the universe collapse?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    Oh, you can't ignore admins/moderators, so you'll have to listen to my drivel anyway (and others to yours!)
    EXCELLENT!!!! :twisted:

Yes, its like crossing the beams - only do it if giant sweets are attacking the city

My God, this thing is amazing. I feel like a true censorial dictator. Shame I can't actually exile or torture certain people for voicing opinions I don't like.

So go on, then! Who have you ignored? It's okay, you can tell me.