Thread: how do you say electric outlet converter in jpn??

Default how do you say electric outlet converter in jpn??

I came to discover that the outlet for my laptop has an extra prong (or whatever you call it)...and I can't connect it to power here at Keio. I fear that may happen when I move to my prefecture too so I'm hoping I can buy an outlet converter in Akihabara or something?? So my question again is...how do I say this in Japanese?? (or what should I ask when I go?? Or even better...where should I go? :mrgreen: )

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Go to Yodabashi camera (5 minutes from the hotel) and take your existing plug. Point. They will help you.
    According to my dictionary, electric outlet converter is
    電気アウトレットのコンバーター (denki autoretto no conbaataa)
    or you could try 電気アウトレットのアダプター(denki autoretto no adaputaa)
    but I'm not sure how accurate they are.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Any big electronics shop anywhere in the country will probably stock them. They have little pictures on so you know which one to buy, so don't worry about it. I've asked for one using just 'adaputaa' before and had no problems.
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

I know that i have had troubles finding a US three prong to Japanese two prog converter here in japan. I know i was able to find one at Kansai airport at one of the stores there, but as you are in tokyo now you can be sure your in the best spot to find one......also, you can check one out at the front desk to use when you are at your room.....

another option, most people cringe when it is said though, but it works just fine.....cut that third "grounding" prong off and poof problem fixed.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

i went to yodobashi in akihabara.

just take your old plug with, point and say "adaputaa" or "konbaataa" and they'll get the hint. :P
    fucking genki

hey, somewhat in this vein, how dangerous is an exposed grounding plug? In my apartment there was an extension cord shaped in such a way that the two prongs could go in and the third one sits on the outside. To keep safe I`ve been unplugging it when I go out, but I dunno if there really is any danger there...

Quote Originally Posted by nuttybuddy
    hey, somewhat in this vein, how dangerous is an exposed grounding plug? In my apartment there was an extension cord shaped in such a way that the two prongs could go in and the third one sits on the outside. To keep safe I`ve been unplugging it when I go out, but I dunno if there really is any danger there...
    I've done it before and been fine. That being said, you may want to read up a bit on it here: http://www.howstuffworks.com/question110.htm

There is the POTENTIAL for a shock since the device is no longer being supplied with earth ground. Realistically, if its a computer or something like that, the power brick should be enough protection since it has safely mechanisms built inside. Something a lot more metallic on the outside, i personally would be a little uncomfortable with simply for the small shock that can occur. Note: I am by no means an expert, so please take this mainly as MY experience/research :x

Thanks all.

I was gonna go ask them but then I saw these multiple outlets that had 3 prongs. I just got those instead.