Thread: Problems

Default Problems

:cry:

Sorry to hear you got screwed~ You have your BOE for help as far as I'm aware. You could also try bringing a native friend to work to be your interpreter for you.

I can't help and wonder how come you haven't learned basic conversational Japanese after two years. I think I sound dickish saying that but I can't imagine living abroad for over a year and not picking up the local tongue.

Anyhoo, since it's your 3rd year (unless you really wanna try and teach elementary school for 4th and 5th years) and last one as a JET, have fun with the situation. It's jr. high, they should be able to understand English a little I think, so just talk to them in class. Ask them anything remotely related to the topic the teacher is talking about and if the teacher gets frusterated enough, they'll get someone to interpret (that is if you decide not to go to your BOE).

Hope it all gets better soon~

hey, socaldave are you here yet?

Just wondering, because we are told not to use any japanese in class. So how would you combat a situation, when you KNOW that the teacher isnt translating properly because you DO know Japanese(yes I can speak Japanese between 3kyu and 2kyu, and know about 800kanji), but arent allowed to use any. I dont need an interpreter in any other class. Plus even worse if he does translate it is WRONG. So last week, I said 'Stop saying those words, they are RUDE. What is RUDE in Japanese.' He said 'shizuka ni shitte kudasai' which is be quiet. So they think they understand but he gives them something else.

Kids are frustrated, I am frustrated... talked to BOE... nada... talked to school... and they said 'yeah, he is hard to understand even in Japanese'

Oh well, is only 6 of my 23 classes.

And as for "It's jr. high, they should be able to understand English a little I think, so just talk to them in class. " ----- hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sorry, not taking the piss, seriously... they have used textbook english for a year. Poor little buggers. And I do talk, and I am a good teacher... I know since I have had reviews. anyway, thanks for posting back. You are right, I need to have fun. Shocking I can in classes with openly bad kids, but the apathetic ones are getting to me. wait until you spend 4 hours preparing a totally fun lesson and then 15 kids sleep through it....

Take care and enjoy the humidity

Nope, not in Japan yet but have taught in those situations before.

Well, it sounds like you've got a old crank or a wage-stealer for a JTE and even the BOE knows it. Since you've got nothing to lose, screw it, if your cranky JTE isn't doing his job properly, notably with kids and curse words, you could tell the kids その言葉は無礼だよ。もう使わないほうがいい。 On second though, forget that. Screw with the JTE since she/he's giving you hell. :twisted: Du borde samtal Svensk till lärare. hehe~

"Shocking I can in classes with openly bad kids, but the apathetic ones are getting to me. wait until you spend 4 hours preparing a totally fun lesson and then 15 kids sleep through it...." I was a horrible student in jr.high so I have empathy for kids in many ways. I've always done a little weeding out of the apathy bunch in a fun way. I simply (sometimes in class, most times out of class) go up to them and hit them up with inquiries like "soo, bored eh?" or "so what does interest you in school?" or "school sucks doesn't it?" Then I could usually find something for them to do whilst they're in my class relating somewhat to English.

"Take care and enjoy the humidity"... Hehe, yes I've been in Japan when the humidity comes around. Oh miserable days them be. I will find a way to wear shorts to school when I get to JET.

Lemme know how it goes~

hjelveta! ar du svensk? (sorry bad spelling, on Japanese keyboard) I used to live in Uppsala, but that was before JET so when I try to think in swedish, it comes out mixed up : can du prata スエデン語?lol

have decided to join the kids in realizing the teacher is a tool, and we are all looking at him incredulously while he talks out of his ass and I say...mmmm ちょっと違うね?hmm that kanji looks wrong... maybe I should stop bitching and moaning and study or something.

nah, i like bitching and moaning.
    too hot to study.

and as for shorts, as long as nothing is falling out (happened to japanese teacher at my school last year. had nightmares for a month!!!! )you wil be fine. THOSE were DAMN short shorts