Thread: JLPT Books

Arkansas/DC, USA----> Ranzan-machi, Saitama-Ken

Default JLPT Books

Is there anywhere in particular that has these textbooks or should I just be looking for big bookstores? I'm in Saitama, so heading into Tokyo wouldn't be that far, but I was hoping to see if anyone knew any really good ones or any particular store/district.

Thanks in advance.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

I think my Japanese teacher got mine from Kinokuniya and Maruzen. Anything I've bought myself, I've bought online, either from Amazon Japan, or from this site here, which has been a great help, since the nearest Kinokuniya and Maruzen is miles from me.

Also, someone on BD posted this link yesterday, which has all the past exams (RIGHT AFTER I bought all the past exams I needed, too. *kicks self*)
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

wow! that scribd link is really useful! thanks kiwi!

yeh, i'm pretty sure you can find the books at any really big bookstore (that has a substantial english section, i think has been the measure of bigness). they're available in okinawa and we don't have either kinokuniya or maruzen here.

ETA: just clicked on one of the 1Q papers by accident, started reading it thinking it was 4Q and gave myself a major freakout. :P
    fucking genki

Quote Originally Posted by jacqui
    ETA: just clicked on one of the 1Q papers by accident, started reading it thinking it was 4Q and gave myself a major freakout. :P
    Hee, I had the opposite happen awhile ago. My Japanese teacher got me this book that had the 1kyuu and 2kyuu exams from last year (because I was SLOW and didn't find out about that site until yesterday! :evil I was reading it, thinking "Hey, this isn't so bad after all!" then realised I was looking at the 2kyuu section. ops:
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Maybe this would also be a good place ot discuss WHAT books we use for JLPT study?

I have the Kanzen books for everything but listening and the Unicom listening book but at the moment im just doing flat out kanji study. I am the sort of student where I need to get one subject completely beaten to death before i can move onto another one. I can have my Kanji right up to scratch for the end of september I reckon (i only have about 300 or so to learn properly before JLPT time!) and then I need to badly work on my listening and grammar.

my reading is ok but the time restrictions on it mean you have to work fast apparently.

For kanji I have bought the Bonjinsha orange Intermediate Kanji book though a lot of it will probably be revision. I finished the red and teal coloured books Basic Kanji Books) yonks ago (I really really recommend these to beginners, they're so so good, but you'll need to keep up with your grammar study too or you won't be able to follow the reading passages) but i never moved onto the orange one, studying kanji elsewhere. So i brought a fresh blank copy of the Teal one and im going through and doing it again which has been awesome because im picking up the mud that didn't stick the wall the first time around and these are a lot of the kanji i'll need for the test in December so its good stuff.

Also we were having a disagreement on BD today about grammar dictionaries. A lot of people like the Japan Times A Dictionary of Intermediate Grammar and A dictionary of Basic Grammar. I personally prefer tbe Aruku one which has a white cover and three different coloured tea cups on the front (you the need the one with three, not one). It is good to go for grammar 1-4Q which is excellent for when you are studying away and you get stumped by a 3Q grammar point which you really should know but you've gone and forgotten. This has never happened to me yet but im sure it might! Plus its a more attractive volume, newer and cheaper than the Japan Times one.

And you?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Great post, Dombay. I'll head to the bookstore and check those books out tomorrow. Besides starting this novel, I haven't done an ounce of studying since I've been here.

At first I thought the "Japan Times A Dictionary of Intermediate Grammar" was a good grammar dictionary, but the more I studied, the more these books started to fail me; I actually bought both, but I left them both at home because I'm certain that there is a LOT of 2kyuu and 1kyuu grammar points that aren't in those books.

I mentioned it in the thread I just posted, but ALC is what I use to look up all of my grammar now. It has tons of examples, which IMO is best way to learn.

Are you doing 2 or 1 this year Samesong?

I really should be doing 3 but I was emasculated by a few too many women who called me a sissy in Osaka so now im doing 2Q, the man's option - you'll see a trail of water running from Okayama University to Okayama Station this December - that's from Dombay running away crying after opening the grammar section.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    you'll see a trail of water running from Okayama University to Okayama Station this December - that's from Dombay running away crying after opening the grammar section.
    Am I the only person who pictured something very different from tears when they read that bit? :P

I'll probably be wetting myself as well, don't worry - whatever happens its unlikely to be pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Are you doing 2 or 1 this year Samesong?

I really should be doing 3 but I was emasculated by a few too many women who called me a sissy in Osaka so now im doing 2Q, the man's option - you'll see a trail of water running from Okayama University to Okayama Station this December - that's from Dombay running away crying after opening the grammar section.
    Yeah, 2Q. It would be plain embarrassing to take 3 considering how long I've been studying, but I think 2 still might kick my arse. I just bought a brand new denshijisho to motivate my studies, so hopefully I'll know enough kanji in time for the test

I bought all the Unicom books, and I think they're pretty decent so far. I've also been using "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar" as a supplement. There are some grammar points in my Unicom book however that aren't covered in the dictionary, and it's a little frustrating because sometimes I'd like an English explanation. :?

I just bought the book that Dom suggested (the one with the three teacups on it) and I have to say that I really like it. It seems like it could be very difficult to use if you don't have a very high amount of known vocab, but if you do it's really nice.

I also like the fact that it uses English to a minimum yet at the same time gives you enough to understand what's going on. I think that strategy helps one to think more in a "japanese" way rather than thinking about it in English and trying to translate.

I also liked that it marks each grammar point with the JLPT level it corresponds with.

Yea those are some of the reasons that i liked that book too.

The JT one has more english explanation in it but then I think its better to go with as little as possible - you'll remember mroe if you have to look it up a bit I thinK!

Dombay, could you post the isbn number and the publisher for the Aruku grammar dictionary?

thanks
    Polyester: Fabric from the rendered fat of dinosaurs. Amazing.

ISBN978-4-7574-1235-4

The publisher is Aruku. It has a little symbol of a thing that looks like its from Pacman.

Ive actually been reading though old 3q grammar points on the train and reading the examples to pass the time on the train a bit. It's been interesting because I learned most of those grammar points with full on English explanations and just a few examples. It's been interesting reading the other way around - little english but a lot of examples.

its all revision to me now but its just interesting the other way around and I think it's a good way to learn.

thanks, now i can go order it from the funky little book shoppe down the road!

i hate the japan times grammar dictionary's, they don't have anything in them at all useful
    Polyester: Fabric from the rendered fat of dinosaurs. Amazing.