Thread: Kanji to Romaji

Default Kanji to Romaji

This is a potential tip/call for better suggestions for absolute newbies like me.

I have been trying to use babelfish and similar sites for trips to the store, office questions when no JTE is around, but as you know, it outputs the terrible translation in kanji! Requiring me to then WRITE it in my notebook (likely doing it wrong) and then point to it like a moron.

Well, today I decided I would rather *speak* like a moron!

So this is what I've been doing after a few minutes' searching, and it feels a little convoluted, so if there's a better way, please let me know.

I want to call my supervisor. I have his number, but it won't work on the school phones. Some Japanese recorded lady comes on and tells me I've dialed wrong, or I'm a gaijin devil, or I've accidentally entered the telephonic coordinates to blow up the mayor's house. God knows what she said.

So I go to babelfish and type in "How do I call?" so that I can ask the nice office lady to help me.

It gives me: 私はいかに呼ぶか。Which is no help to me.

I found this site: http://j-talk.com/nihongo/
    Click Kanji to Romaji, paste the text in the box, and voila!

"Watashi ha ikani yobu ka."

Hooray! Now, it probably says "How do I make a bird call?" or "How do you order a call girl?" but hopefully I will be able to communicate my actual meaning through charades.

I couldn't find any other topics on this, so maybe this will be helpful to someone else!

to call outside, you probably have to push a button to get an outside line. there should be a button with, perhaps among others, this kanji: 外 written above or on it. push that first, then call.

*cough*

anyway. learn kana, you lazy bum.
    fucking genki

I actually do know kana, but since I'm doing errands, I wanted it to be spit out fast.

And if I wrote it in kana to read to a shopkeeper, I would sound like a kindergartener.

"Wa...Ta? Shi... Is that ha or ho? Oh, yeah, ha..." And so on. I know it, but not fast.

And it was an extra 0 I wasn't dialing. Who knew?

if you need kana readings of kanji, jim breen's dictionary spits them out really fast. just google it.
    fucking genki

Romaji hurts my brain.

Ditch it asap. You'll never get anywhere with this horrible horrible language until you at LEAST learn kana and are able to spit it out rapidly.

You also find after the first 500 or so kanji that life is so much easier. Forget this bullshit that you get with most Japanese courses including (and especially) the bloody CLAIR courses which are the biggest environmental crime ever given how much paper they waste in teaching you nothing at all, thats like 'learn all this grammar and how to speak THEN learn kanji, you only need these 20 or so'.

This is another reason i really liked the Genki textbooks when i used them. It does not mess around at all with kanji - you'll know the offical 300 they teach you at the end of the course but also many more that you're reading in the books all the time with furigana (tiny kana above or below a kanji in case you know don't know it's readings) below them.

Also that babel fish translation at best just looks plain wrong to me and at worst is not appropriate to use in your office.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'