Thread: Kumamoto Drunken Horse Festival

Default Kumamoto Drunken Horse Festival

Does anyone know when the Drunken Horse Festival will be this year? I had been planning to go to Kumamoto during one of the three-days in Sept/Oct, and an ALT from the area said I should come for the festival, but she didn't remember which weekend it was.

After looking for the info online, I found a page that talked about how the horses are shot and killed after the festival because the alcohol makes their meat taste bad and they don't want to eat that horse as sashimi.:x

So.....I don't think I want to support the festival and see it now, but I still want to go to Kumamoto, so I'd like to pick a *different* weekend to go.

Does anyone have any info?

Thanks! :smt008

Why would you get a horse drunk?

It's all in aid of some racism festival as well isn't it?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Why would you get a horse drunk?

It's all in aid of some racism festival as well isn't it?
    ...for fun and games?

Actually, I was pretty shocked when I heard about what comes after the festival b/c killing horses after using them for your own enjoyment seems against the pacifist attitude of Japan. :?:

In Uwajima in Ehime they like fighting bulls too ...

I think the Japanese just have backwards ideas of animal welfare.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I live in Kumamoto ken and have already tried uma niku; it's pretty slimy :P

Quote Originally Posted by Baine
    Actually, I was pretty shocked when I heard about what comes after the festival b/c killing horses after using them for your own enjoyment seems against the pacifist attitude of Japan. :?:
    Not really. Japan isn't exactly leading the world in animal rights. Plus, Kumamoto is famous for basashi, or raw horse meat. That's what those horses were bred for.

Quote Originally Posted by psychohistoric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baine
    Not really. Japan isn't exactly leading the world in animal rights. Plus, Kumamoto is famous for basashi, or raw horse meat. That's what those horses were bred for.
    Well, yes, they ARE bred to be eaten. But since they're so famous for this fact, isn't it strange that the Japanese would shoot the horse and...I dunno, cremate it or whatever I do...b/c it tasted bad? Wouldn't it make more sense to use it as a work horse or something?

They're not killing these horses to eat. They're giving them alcohol, having fun while the horse is all drunk and stuff, then shooting it just b/c they CAN'T eat it because they've gone and fed it alcohol.

:cry:

I'm not sure where you got your information on that, and I'm not saying it's not true, weirder shit has happened in Japan after all, but I will say that there seem to be a lot of rumors that go around about this festival. It doesn't make any sense to me that they would shoot the horse because they got it drunk and can't eat it. Why not let him sober up and then eat him? Sounds like bullshit because I know that Kobe beef cattle are often fed beer. I've been here a year and I've heard all sorts of conflicting things. One of my co-workers told me that they couldn't get the horses drunk anymore because people were complaining about it being inhumane, and the next day I was told that they're not supposed to get them drunk but people still did anyway, and then later that same day I was told by a different person that they have always gotten the horses drunk and that there was never any rule about not doing so.

All I'm saying is, I don't know what they do to the poor horses, and you're a cruel, sick bastard for wanting to witness such abuse. However, if you are bound to gaze upon the drunk-horse death march, then I think it's going to be on the weekend of October 6th-8th. I'll probably be there.

Deleted

I believe this may be the week I turn vegetarian. As much as I love raw horse, this is so awfully sad
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru
    I believe this may be the week I turn vegetarian. As much as I love raw horse, this is so awfully sad
    It's so sad. Why would anyone want to see that? And yet, I'll be there, sharing their pain from as close as I can possibly get, beer in hand so that I might suffer with them.
    - st. christopher
    nagasaki blues

Yeah, it seems pretty hard on the horses. The festival goes on all stinking day, from like 5 am until 11 or 12 at night. It's really loud and you can tell that by the end of the parade route, the horses have had enough. Near the end they start bucking a little, becoming difficult to control, and trying to leave the parade route. It's kind of nice to see in the beginning because the horses are just these huge, muscular monsters that I don't recall seeing in the U.S. They resemble clydesdales in size, but their fur isn't shaggy. They're really beautiful, and I'm not even a big horse person. If I go again this year, I'll do it a little earlier in the day and leave before the horses are driven insane by the constant drumming and yelling... and beer.

I'm not sure where you got your information on that, and I'm not saying it's not true, weirder shit has happened in Japan after all, but I will say that there seem to be a lot of rumors that go around about this festival. It doesn't make any sense to me that they would shoot the horse because they got it drunk and can't eat it. Why not let him sober up and then eat him? Sounds like bullshit because I know that Kobe beef cattle are often fed beer. I've been here a year and I've heard all sorts of conflicting things. One of my co-workers told me that they couldn't get the horses drunk anymore because people were complaining about it being inhumane, and the next day I was told that they're not supposed to get them drunk but people still did anyway, and then later that same day I was told by a different person that they have always gotten the horses drunk and that there was never any rule about not doing so.

All I'm saying is, I don't know what they do to the poor horses, and you're a cruel, sick bastard for wanting to witness such abuse. However, if you are bound to gaze upon the drunk-horse death march, then I think it's going to be on the weekend of October 6th-8th. I'll probably be there.

A JET from the prefecture mentioned the fact, and I also saw it a couple of times on the net while googling for the date.

If it isn't true, I'd be so happy! It just seems so cruel.

Thank you for the date, though!

Since you live in Kumamoto, what would you say is worth doing besides the typical Mt. Aso/Kumamoto Castle thing? ^_^

Ah, and my friend was upgraded to Kumamoto and just came in with Group C, so maybe I'll go to Kumamoto more than once since it isn't so far. ^^

Bonnie-chan....

They have a Noh festival in October, so if you are around, you should come to that.

Ok, the official date of the Kumamoto Fujisaki Hachimangu Shrine Festival (aka Boshita Matsuri, aka Drunken Horse festival) is September 17th. It's a Monday and a National Holiday (Respect for the Aged Day). Provided it's not postponed by a typhoon like last year, it should be some good fun. It starts wicked early in the morning and goes until 8 or so at night. Please enjoying drunken abused horses.

Ok, the official date of the Kumamoto Fujisaki Hachimangu Shrine Festival (aka Boshita Matsuri, aka Drunken Horse festival) is September 17th. It's a Monday and a National Holiday (Respect for the Aged Day). Provided it's not postponed by a typhoon like last year, it should be some good fun. It starts wicked early in the morning and goes until 8 or so at night. Please enjoying drunken abused horses.
    Oh damn, I have that day off. I think it's game on.
    - st. christopher
    nagasaki blues

bump

Did anyone go to this? Did you see me? Wasn't I terrific?

Seriously, though, what did you think? I checked and our horse was not drunk. Can't vouch for the others, though.

bump

Did anyone go to this? Did you see me? Wasn't I terrific?

Seriously, though, what did you think? I checked and our horse was not drunk. Can't vouch for the others, though.
    I was there. I don't think I saw you, but then again I saw a bunch of foreigners around that weekend, so who knows. I didn't see much evidence of the horses being drunk myself; some of them were antsy and violent, but that may just be a function of being tied up and dragged around a city full of loud people.

They were beautiful horses, though. Too bad they're all dead now.
    - st. christopher
    nagasaki blues

Pandilex

Japan, the only country where a dog leads its entire life chained inside a box, only to be cremated in a several hundred dollar fancy pet-funeral.

yeah, has anyone seen their pet shops? the dogs and cats sit in tiny little boxes lying around in their own crap. i'm not sure this would fly in our respective countries of origin.