Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets and Non-Jets living together?

Default Jets and Non-Jets living together?

I'm planning to apply to JET (more than likely a while from now...but i can still ask ahead of time, right?). I'm engaged but plan on being married before I even apply. ANYWAY, I was wondering about living in Japan for two on one salary. He speaks absolutely no Japanese but wishes to find a menial job part time --of course, if he can get someone to even sponsor him for a work visa.
    So my questions are:
    Is caring for someone else on a JET salary plausible?

and

Is it possible for someone who speaks no japanese to find a job (I was thinking on a military base...or something...) that doesnt require any particular skill? Of course I can help him learn some Japanese but he was hoping to find some small job just to help out and get him out of the house.

Anyone know a civillian working at a commissary/concession on a base? I ask because my mother actually worked at the commissary when my father was stationed in Scotland...so maybe something like that is in Japan?

i think you can try get a job on base, but they're pretty rare for people outside of the military (or the local community), from what i've seen.

he could get a job with another english learning company?
    fucking genki

There were quite a few JET ladies here last year that brought their fella with them...

You should easily have enough money for you both to live off... but that wasn't the main problem. If the bloke doesn't get a job, he'll be bored and it can turn into a cause for stress and arguments.

If he doesn't mind working for an eikaiwa (English conversation) company then you'd be fine.

There is one couple here, the lady is a JET, the man lived off her while they first moved in, but now he's a musician in Osaka- it works out well. But for most people who don't speak Japanese, it could be hard to find non-English teaching related work.

for a native english speaker Eikaiwa is probably the easiest, best-paying job. Regarding a job on base, it's more than likely that you won't be placed near one, so it'd be better not to rely on going that route.

I know of two married couples that live off of one JET salary. the other spouse usually does eikaiwa a few times a week. Keep in mind that both couples live in inaka and have very cheap rent.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

My husband is not a JET and we survive on my wage in Osaka, so it can be done. Every now and then he gets a contract from home to do web design or 3D animation and the extra money is nice for travel etc., but we don't need it. He doesn't get bored as he's in charge of housework and covers a lot of ground exploring on his bike; plus he has his own (Japanese and non-Japanese friends) to hang out with. He'll be looking for some private English conversation clients soon since we hope to save enough for us both to go home at Christmas. He knew no Japanese when we got here but will be going for JLPT Level 4 in December.
    So, yes, it can be done. This is kind of an extended honeymoon for us, as we got married not long before the start of JET and hadn't lived together before we got to Japan. Would have to say the experience has made us closer than ever. Go for it.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

VIP

Well as you've read above, it's definetly possible for it to work. In my case, my boyfriend has gotten a part-time job with Nova so that when he comes over, we can have that second income. Since Nova sucks balls though, he might quit, but he can keep the visa nevertheless and stay. We're hoping to get him hooked up with some eikaiwas (private tutorials) as well. If your guy isn't into the idea of teaching though, at least you know there are other options, as stated in the above posts.
    Fight like a grapefruit, aim for the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Every now and then he gets a contract from home to do web design or 3D animation and the extra money is nice for travel etc., but we don't need it.
    I was wondering if that was possible or not. My boyfriend does architectual design for his dad through email, and he was hoping to continue with it if he joins me in Japan as my dependent next year. Also, you mentioned eikaiwa. Is it possible to do eikaiwa on a spouse visa (payment is under the table, I assume)?

Yeah I figured the base thing might be a stretch because of placement issues. Well, it seems better now that I know someone in Osaka who can care for two on one salary. I understand placement is kind of a crapshoot but I was hoping for Nara which isnt huge but close enough to Osaka and other places for me to visit. Besides, my host family from Study abroad was from Nara and I really loved it there. I understand that rent is not outrageous there, either (based on what my host family tells me anyway...please share your experience with me though).
    Yeah, he might not be up for teaching right away but maybe after time he will get bored and want to anyway, especially if he acts more as a human tape recorder than an actual teacher.

Thanks so much, and let me know more! Actually, im even more encouraged to go now that I know so many people bring their spouses on as dependents.

He insists he will love it and won't get bored even without a job...i tend to doubt him.
    I don't know though, because he could spend weeks shopping, even if it is just window shopping. So, who knows? I guess i'd have to give him an allowance, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Veebles
    Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Every now and then he gets a contract from home to do web design or 3D animation and the extra money is nice for travel etc., but we don't need it.
    I was wondering if that was possible or not. My boyfriend does architectual design for his dad through email, and he was hoping to continue with it if he joins me in Japan as my dependent next year. Also, you mentioned eikaiwa. Is it possible to do eikaiwa on a spouse visa (payment is under the table, I assume)?
    Get your boyfriend's dad to pay him into a bank account in your home country using its currency. That way it's outside of the Japanese economy and they don't care (it's legal).
    Unless you are Japanese, he won't be able to get a spouse visa even after you're married. Spouse visas are only for those who are married to Japanese natives.
    If you're not Japanese (and if you are you can't be a JET anyway), he will have to apply for a dependent visa. Technically those on dependent visas are not permitted to work at all, but provided they get the permission of their local ward office (where you get your alien registration cards) it's really no problem, provided he's not taking a job from a native Japanese. Of course, you could just risk under the table payment, but I like a stress-free life!
    Payment for private eikaiwa is often under the table, apparently; but if he signs a contract for a company expect it to be taxed and above board.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Deleted

Working holiday visa might also be an option - then theres no pressure to get a job, but if he does, its all legal.

Oh yeah, sorry, I tend to only think of us over-30s folk.
    Does the USA have a working holiday visa arrangement with Japan?

Deleted

I've just quicky scanned the MOFA website and they don't offer if for US Citizens! Sorry...

My SO ended up being a lying, cheating, selfish, lazy ass so being in japan together hastened our end. Now I am free and happy but I've met other new JETs who brought their non-JET spouse with them and they are oh-so-unhappy just like I was. Just don't let him tie you down and prevent you from meeting new people and having fun. That seems to be a pattern in my prefecture with the other JETs. This is your time in Japan, if he loves you, he'll support you and join you in having fun and exploring the country!

... my rant is over.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Thanks to everyone who replied. I didn't realize there was a difference between a spouse visa and a dependent visa, oops! :P Unfortunately the working visa doesn't apply to him, being an American citizen and all.

Happy to hear that he would be able to work for his dad and get paid legally too (he was worried about that). That is IF he moves to Japan. He may just come and stay for 90 days on a tourist visa. The easy option!

I just came to Japan with my husband who is also a non-JET. We are not sure if we can survive off of my salary yet because our rent is about $600 and it is not subsidized (and no, we are not in the city). We are responsible for all of our bills (electricity, water, gas, telephone, cell phone, and internet). We are hoping that he can find an English teaching job somewhere close.

I used to complain that my rent was the highest out of all of my friends, but then I heard of another JET in my prefecture paying about $690 and I stopped complaining. My take on things now is that my husband and I would be paying more rent at home, so this is just good pratice for us when we move back.

I understand that rent is not outrageous there, either (based on what my host family tells me anyway...please share your experience with me though).
    As far as I know, rent doesn't depend so much on where you are placed but on the arrangement you have with your Contracting Organization. Some COs have housing specifically for teachers, while other COs simply find a cheapish place for you to live. I know of ALTs in the deep inaka that pay 6-man a month in rent and city ALTs who have rent-free apartments. But in general, i've found that those living in the countryside have cheaper, more spacious places.

If he is interested in teaching eikaiwa and if you are placed in or near a city there are all kinds of sites like findatecher.com or senseisagase.com (sp?) where you post your info into a database and students can look you up and contact you for lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkDS
    I just came to Japan with my husband who is also a non-JET. We are not sure if we can survive off of my salary yet because our rent is about $600 and it is not subsidized (and no, we are not in the city). We are responsible for all of our bills (electricity, water, gas, telephone, cell phone, and internet). We are hoping that he can find an English teaching job somewhere close.
    Him teaching English is an option, sure, but we've survived for over a year now; and our rent is 58,000 a month plus all bills. And it's not like we don't have a social life or go anywhere. In fact, he's winging his way to Okinawa while I type this. (I'm going tomorrow night).
    You'll be fine!

to join the crowd who are bringing their men folk with them then
    my boyfriend is coming over in december, just graduating now so couldnt come immediately and there is no plan as yet with regard work though he is looking at options now.
    But im living pretty rural and no rent(hows that!) so once i stop comfort shopping ( i realised today i have bought earrings, 3 dresses, 5 pairs of shoes, 4 tops, and 2 leggings/spats in a month of being here. And thats just clothes.) i reckon we will be ok until he can find something. Besides the money issue, how boring must it be to just sit around everyday on your own? for sanity sake alone its better to get a job?

Some people have said, here and in general, that its hard having your partner join you here but its certainly sucking even more not having him here so.

Deleted

There is a couple on Nimi, Okayama, from South Africa. The husband was also an import, maybe chat to them about their experiences
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Oh wow thanks for everyone's input!
    since so many others do it, we could probably make the money thing work. We have lived together were in the States with what we consider cheap rent at $550. Of course, he makes about $30,000 and I make about $15,000 (a year). then, we have two car payments (which KILLS us! His is outrageous and mine is too for a used car anyway) and two insurances. So, take away those extra bills and I think we will be in a similar situation in Japan as we are now even if we drop to one salary.
    I am very worried about him getting so bored though. Now that I think about it, an eikawa job will probably be fairly difficult to obtain since he didnt go to uni and has no teaching or japanese experience. So, no job it is!

So assuming I even get into JET when I apply (which is looking worse and worse to me...*sigh*) Maybe some of you with your fellas here, we could all be friends and kittens and rainbows and all that good stuff so the guys wont be so bored.