View Poll Results: Which textbook is better?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Genki

2 33.33%
  • Minna No Nihongo

4 66.67%

Thread: The Textbook Showdown: Battle of the Heavyweights!!

Default The Textbook Showdown: Battle of the Heavyweights!!

i'm need another textbook, cuz i'm bored with the others. i already have japanese for busy people. it's kind of lame.

shall it be genki or minna no nihongo??

hmmmm......
    fucking genki

Some mates of mine recently switched to minna but im a big fan of genki for two reasons:

1. The English explanations of grammar points are really easy to follow and there is lots of exercises to help you to remember them.

2. From about the 3rd chaper of genki you are thrown into the deep end with kanji. You will learn them so much faster this way.

I miss studying with textbooks like Genki. I am just studying out of Kanzen master books and that sort of thing at the moment and it's much more intense 'work it out for yourself' type learning.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Why don't you go for one of the books specifically geared to studying for the JLPT. That's what I've got. Plus the ever-so-useful Advanced JET books. With grammar explanation in Japanese. By the time I've finished working out what they're trying to teach me, I'm exhausted.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Can any of you recommend some good 2kyu JLPT books?

There are tons at the bookstore, but all of them don't seem like they're teaching you anything.. I flipped through them and it's all just quizzes and questions.. no grammar points or anything of the sort. Considering how horribly I did on the grammar, it would be nice to have one that stressed that more than anything. I'm alright with kanji.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I reckon the Unicom books for Level 2 are pretty good. I'm about 2/3 the way through the Level 3 book, but I bought the version that is all in Japanese, so sometimes I have trouble figuring out the grammar point (mind you, I am learning the kanji for words like 'metaphor' and 'conjunction').
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

試験に出る文法と表現 covers 1 and 2kyuu grammar. Not much in the way of explanation of what each grammar point does (one line in Japanese and that's about it), but you can generally work it out from the example sentences.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

I use Minna no Nihongo cause that is what my teacher told me to get. It is not bad (now that I have the answers). I have not seen Genki in the shops, so have not bought it for that reason alone
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"