Thread: Interesting Areas in Osaka

Default Interesting Areas in Osaka

I have a day in Osaka on Saturday. Does anyone know any interesting areas to explore? I've already seen the main sights; I'm looking for old, interesting urban places with a lot of character and cool shops and cafes.

Much obliged!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

yeah, wicket when you reply to this, I will be there on sunday most of the day, not sure what our plans are for dinner, but if you are out and about maybe we will give you a call!
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

It's always the case, eh?

Come on Wicket, we're waiting for your reply!
    "If you've got [a penis], or access to one, take a good look at it this evening and ask yourself: how can this possibly be the work of a sane God?"

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Yeah, all right, don't get your knickers in a twist! I'm right here.
    There's an area that was built in the 20s or 30s to be the "modern" Osaka, but I can't remember the name. I think it's in Lonely Planet - the name is something like "New World".
    In any case, the museum of minorites is there and it's really interesting. The zoo there is worth a miss, but there are little arcades and alleyways with interesting shops.
    My town (Owada on the Keihan line) has a street full of izakayas and a great Jamaican-themed reggae bar.
    It's always worth getting lost in Dotonbori - neon shopping arcades one minute and old warehouses the next.
    The aquarium is worth a visit if you haven't been there and the port area around it is nice too.
    I'm pulling an all-nighter Friday night then catching the first train to Kishiwada to see Danjiri matsuri, then we're going camping at Omi-Maiko until Monday, so I won't be able to join you Sunday night. Poop. But if you want to come by the lake for a swim, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Thanks, both of you! I'm flying to Chicago on Sunday, though, so I think I'm just going to take it easy and maybe check out some of the places you mentioned, Wicket. Or I may just head to Kobe and walk through that cool arcade under the JR tracks.

We're getting to Kishiwada station about 6.30 Saturday morning and will stay til we get bored. The first horn is at 6am, then they run the danjiri til about 8.30, parade them from 9.45, then there's not much til the evening.
    We may not be going to Biwako after all, as my better half has been weather watching and tells me storms and heavy rains are predicted (plus temps in only the low twenties). Boo Japan. Probably my last chance to enjoy the beach this year.
    Boo!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

that's why you kansai people consider a beach is it?

Then i suppose ive been down to Tajiri and Rinku Town and that in Osaka and those exucuses for beaches would probably drive me to a lake instead too.

You need good old fashioned inland sea.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

No, Dom, I need a week on Akajima in Okinawa, that's what I need.
    All the beaches on Honshu are shit compared with what I had back in Australia, so I don't really care when it's hot - as long as I can swim.
    Have you been to Omi-Maiko? The lake is so big you may as well be at the ocean... except it's fresh water, of course.

Actually yea Okinawa does sound pretty good.

woot. i'm headed to osaka for a weekend in just over a month from now.

that jamaican bar sounds fun. will be staying like 3 stops away, at korien (with james).

woot woot!

looking forward to going when i won't be bloody freezing cold and begging to get back to the heater in the hostel. i was soooo unprepared when i went in april. it was already full-fledged summer in okinawa!
    fucking genki

Hey Jacqui,
    If you and young James fancy an evening at the Jamaican bar (possibly followed by karaoke a 5 minute walk away at the place where I am *embarrassed cough* a member), just sing out.
    Pardon the pun.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    There's an area that was built in the 20s or 30s to be the "modern" Osaka, but I can't remember the name. I think it's in Lonely Planet - the name is something like "New World".
    In any case, the museum of minorites is there and it's really interesting. The zoo there is worth a miss, but there are little arcades and alleyways with interesting shops.
    Shin-Sekai. It's near Shinimamiya station, I think - not far from Festival Gate and Spa World. We didn't find the museum of minorities (will remember that for next time) and the park was closed as it was a Monday, but it's quite a fun area to wander around, quite good in a "retro-neon" way in the evenings. There's a temple nearby which is quite pretty too if you don't suffer from temple fatigue.

Dob already knows this im pretty sure but for the rest of you head out of Osaka station to Hep 5 (big red ferris wheel) and then behind it to a place called Doyama.

Every sick and wonderful thing that Kansai has to offer is right there and its awesome.

Osaka is easily Japan's best city - screw Tokyo and if you want to visit a big city then nothing else really matters except those two.