Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Abe Shinzo just resigned...

oh wow... sometimes i forget how far ahead japan is. of course i hadn't heard about it since it's only 3am here. 8O i guess this will be tomorrow's big story.

but i mean with all the uproar and scandals wasn't this just bound to happen?

then again...look at the U.S. all the noise hasn't kept our monkey from putting on his show.

i posed the question to my commanding officer,
    the impetuous toady is none the wiser.

I shall fling her o'er a waterfall before long.

my staffroom had his resignation on tv. i asked my kyoto sensei what he thought of abe and he said he sucked. then i asked him about koizumi and he just said that he also sucked haha. i guess the ldp isnt as popular around here.

The teacher at my school had a tough time with the word "resign."

My constant checking of the NYT website led me to be the first to know.

I said "Oh, did you know that Abe resigned?"

Teacher said, "oh..."

"that is surprising, right?"

"yes."

"that abe resigned...."

"abe?"

"The prime minister...he quit....he resigned..."

"oh, I don't think so"

"no....it is right here...."

"oh"

Then later I wrote it down on a paper and gave it to them. They dropped the paper in shock because they finally understood. Hahahah.

退職する たいしょくする resign
    also a 2q kanji!

Edit: Try writing that second kanji when drunk. It's a bastard.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

My staff has been rather silent so far as I can tell. But then again, they're normally speaking rapid fire Japanese so even if my Nihongo was decent I wouldn't be able to understand them. Oy. Good topic though, I'll try and bring it up tomorrow somehow. See what they do *devilish grin*
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body.

Deleted

So I decided to make Abe's resignation the topic of my ekaiwa discussion last night.

I kept it focused on facts - didn't want an argument. They could tell me also sorts of things about him.

They seemed to think he was an ok guy, but to young and inexperienced for a PM. (Its major LDP teritory round here)

I kind of wanted to point out that he hadn't solved any of the major problems that came his way (to be fair some of them he inherited) so his record isn't that great, but they admited this themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Powers
    Taro Aso is supposed to be the likely contender, and he is just as bad, if not worse, so look forward to that!

And since there is no election planned I doubt there will be trucks; Abe just gets to pick his successor.
    Just wikipedia'd this chap, some of his more endearing quotations:

"On October 15, 2005, he praised Japan for having "one nation, one civilization, one language, one culture and one race," and stated that it was the only such country in the world"

At a lecture in Nagasaki Prefecture, Asō referred to a Japanese peace initiative, stating, "Japan is doing what the Americans can't do. You can trust Japanese. It would probably be no good to have blue eyes and blond hair."

Good news for ALTs then

I read the wikipedia for him too

The 2005 quote is like something out of Nazi Germany

(For the Lazy)

At a meeting of the Kono Group in 2001, Asō drew criticism when he said that "those burakumin can't become prime minister," a statement directed at Hiromu Nonaka, a burakumin member of the Diet. Asō's office attempted to clarify the statements by saying that they were misunderstood.

In 2001, as economics minister, he was quoted as saying he wanted to make Japan a country where "rich Jews" would like to live.

In May 2003, while attending a festival at the University of Tokyo, Asō remarked that Koreans wanted to change their names to Japanese names during colonial rule, and that Japan helped in the diffusion of the Hangul writing system.

On October 15, 2005, he praised Japan for having "one nation, one civilization, one language, one culture and one race," and stated that it was the only such country in the world.

On December 21, 2005, he said China was "a neighbour with one billion people equipped with nuclear bombs and has expanded its military outlays by double digits for 17 years in a row, and it is unclear as to what this is being used for. It is beginning to be a considerable threat."

On January 28, 2006, he called for the emperor to visit the controversial Yasukuni shrine. He later backtracked on the comment, but stated that he hoped such a visit would be possible in the future.

Kyodo News reported that he had said on February 4, 2006 "our predecessors did a good thing" regarding compulsory education implemented during Japan's colonization of Taiwan.

Mainichi Daily News reported that on March 9, 2006 he referred to Taiwan as a "law-abiding country", which drew strong protest from Beijing, which considers the island a part of China. His implication that Taiwan is an independent nation contradicts the agreement made between Japan and China in 1972 (the Joint Communique of the Government of Japan and the Government of the People's Republic of China) that the Beijing rather than Taipei government be considered the sole legal government of China and that Taiwan be considered "an inalienable part of the territory of the People's Republic of China."

At a lecture in Nagasaki Prefecture, Asō referred to a Japanese peace initiative, stating, "Japan is doing what the Americans can't do. You can trust Japanese. It would probably be no good to have blue eyes and blond hair." However, this translation has a slight error. He did not say "you can trust Japanese", but "Japanese are trusted [by the Middle Eastern countries]". Reuters reported that the statement was in reference to diplomacy in the Middle East, and quoted Aso saying "Luckily, we Japanese have yellow faces".This quote is just part of what he said. Japanese papers reported that the whole thing was "Luckily, Japanese have yellow faces. We did not exploit, or shoot machine guns there (Middle East)".

On criticism against Koizumi's visits [to Yasukuni], Aso said, "The more China voices (opposition), the more one feels like going there. It's just like when you're told 'Don't smoke cigarettes,' it actually makes you want to smoke. It's best (for China) to keep quiet."