Thread: 石山寺=Ishiyamadera Temple???

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Default 石山寺=Ishiyamadera Temple???

Ok so i have been doing a little translating for the education center today and have come across this....when ever i try and translate a temple or river name for that matter they always change it on me...

石山寺 i say Ishiyama Temple (or i said Ishiyamadera is ok)
    野洲川 I say Yasu River

they say Ishiyamadera Temple
    Yasugawa River
    I have seen both online when googleing stuff, but most of the time it is their way is on japanese sites, so i was just wondering what you guys think is right.....

ps. they said their final reasoning about it was that on the signs around these places they say it their way...but i then tried to tell them that i bet a japanese person translated those signs and it is not how a native speaker would call it

pss. i am also agains people saying PIN number and ATM machine (personal iditification number number...)
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I agree with you but since the signs and tourist maps put "dera", "yama" and "kawa/gawa" it may be confusing for tourists who don't speak Japanese.
    But you could ask them if it's "Mt Fuji-san", "Fuji-san" or "Mt Fuji"!!!
    BTW, I agree with you on PIN and ATM
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

hey, thanks....富士山 got them thinking....

i told them if they said Ishiyamadera Temple then they should say Mr. Fujisan and they realized that sounded stupid

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Well, MR Fuji-san sounds even stupider than MT Fuji-san!
    Best typo ever!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

ha..yeah missed that one....also threw in examples like 滋賀県 しがきん and asked if they would say Shiga-ken Prefecture and they didnt like that one either

Pandilex

I say ATM machine sometimes.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    I say ATM machine sometimes.
    Me too. And I've never said "PIN" on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

hey ms. musume, you were supposed to give more advice than that....this was a topic i thought maybe you could help with...

It is redundant, but it's there to help tourists who can't speak Japanese, I think. If the sign only said "Ishiyama Temple", then lost tourists wouldn't be able to ask for directions because Japanese people might not understand the word "temple". If it only said "Ishiyama-dera", then tourists might not know what it is because they don't understand the word "dera". If it says "Ishiyamadera Temple" then everyone understands what it means. Japanese will disregard "temple", and tourists will disregard "dera".

Yea but in J wouldn't you say 石山寺というお寺 (or would you? That's what i'd say around here because noone'd have heard of that place but then im not exactly very good at J by any means) or similarly in English you could say A temple called Ishiyamadera.

?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markteacher80
    hey ms. musume, you were supposed to give more advice than that....this was a topic i thought maybe you could help with...
    OK. Well, if it was me I'd probably have done the same thing as you at first (ie Ishiyama Temple, Yasu River) but if they told me they wanted "Ishiyamadera Temple" and "Yasugawa River" for the sake of consistency, I'd go with it. Wicket makes a good point about inconsistencies having the potential to confuse tourists. Some people might think there are two temples, one called Ishiyama and one called Ishiyamadera. It may be redundant, but it's already all over the place on signs and tourist maps, so you may as well keep it consistent to avoid potential confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.