Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova?

Default Nova?

So I got a job offer with Nova, and it looks like it's my only option or I can stay at home and get a job cleaning the restrooms at a Taco Bell.

I'm unsure of what I should do, especially hearing about all the nightmares that is happening with the company and their employees.

I'm thinking about accepting the job at Nova, get a sponsored VISA, go to Japan and then leave the company to work for Gaba or a company of similarity.

How does that sound? Also, is it possible to break the Nova 1-year contract?

(in the US) Employees can break contracts at any time, this is constitutional law (the 13th Amendment). Just be prepared to pay your employer compensation, depending on the terms of the contract.

The same goes for your employers... they owe you if they cancel the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec-R
    (in the US) Employees can break contracts at any time, this is constitutional law (the 13th Amendment). Just be prepared to pay your employer compensation, depending on the terms of the contract.

So that is the only penalty to breaking the contract, me paying compensation?

Are you aware that Japan isnt part of America?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Yes, but it's constitution was basically written by America

Welcome to Japan (puts out the beer and sits down waiting for Spec\R to come to Japan and find out how Japan is not like US) :twisted:

but it's constitution was basically written by America! And the two atomic bombs dropped on Japan weren't nuclear, they were marketing bombs! When they impacted, a shockwave swept over the land, leaving Starbucks and McDonalds everywhere!
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

VIP

The horror....the horror.

Effing tools.
    Fight like a grapefruit, aim for the eyes.

Has anyone mentioned hating us for our FREEEEEDOM yet? because if not I'd like to offer it up.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

You're a FREEEEEDOM.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

If you're going to come over be sure to bring lots of cash - NOVA look like they could fold in the next few months, which could leave you stranded without a plane ticket home.

I hear of NOVA employees being paid late, and that money deducted for rent (by NOVA) isn't then being paid to their landlord! So even though they've paid rent they could still be evicted...

Lol, you sound like Nova material!

Why don't you sign up with a different conversation school?

Or better yet, get a working holiday visa and hook up a job privately. Right now, going with Nova (especially when you know they're going down the shitter) would be a big mistake I reckon.

Actually, the only thing worse than going with NOVA is GABA. At Y1350/hour, you'd be better off working at Taco Bell.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

I'm guessing it might be a little difficult getting a job with another school - what with all those NOVA teachers trying to jump ship...

Quote Originally Posted by swedeinshiga
    Welcome to Japan (puts out the beer and sits down waiting for Spec\R to come to Japan and find out how Japan is not like US) :twisted:
    ...I already did a 10 month tour of duty from 2004-2005.

...the kind that costs you money, not the kind they pay you for.

I'm simply mentioning US law as a starting point for comparison. You NEED to research Japanese contract and employment law if you're going to work for a company like NOVA.

My advice would be to not go, unless you have cash reserves and are willing to take what is a very big risk.

Keep in mind that there are other new NOVA employees who are thinking along the same lines, plus once you're in Japan you'll have to deal with the glut of ex-NOVA teachers also looking for jobs.

Look for other eikaiwas or schools.

I think that that's true to an extent but probably not as great an extent as it might appear. Remember that the average eikawa worker at least of the ones ive known has stayed no longer than 6 months.

So the market should correct itself pretty quicky as people get fed up and are replaced again by overseas recruiting.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Yes, but it's constitution was basically written by America
    Whats that got to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Hisakazu Hirose
    Japanese law, especially our civil law - mainly contract law and tort law - derives much from or was inspired much by European law.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

As opposed to American law, which was derived from or inspired by...oh wait, nevermind.

American law is derived from English common law which is totally different to continental European legal systems. Japanese law was written by a frog and a krout.

Efficiently snooty?