Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: UK JET application thread 2007/2008

Default UK JET application thread 2007/2008

For all things relating to the epic journey of completing and submitting an application in this constantly-plagued-by-strikes country.

Ok, first inane question: The JET application window is now open, and I'm more or less done on getting relevant materials for my application, except for 2 reference letters which I'm waiting for. (Thanks to the postal strike, I wont exactly be seeing them anytime soon)

Should I apply online, then wait a week or even two for these stupid letters to arrive, then send off my application to the embassy, or should I just wait until I've got everything ready, then apply online/mail it out at the same time? I ask because I've read the earlier you apply the more chance you have, but I dont want to half-arse it, if you know what I mean.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Old wives tale. It doesn't matter how early or late you apply, as long as you don't miss the deadline. Got that from the folks at CLAIR. So either way is fine.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I think it was a really bad idea to try and apply during my last year. The work load i have is crazy, i hope that i can find enough time to produce a good application.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Old wives tale. It doesn't matter how early or late you apply, as long as you don't miss the deadline. Got that from the folks at CLAIR. So either way is fine.
    Hmm, interesting. But it kind of made sense to me the more I thought about it. I thought that the earlier you send it, the quicker your application would be selected for approval, because think about how many personal statements these guys have to read through. After a hundred they get very samey, and after a thousand it'll probably take really creative and unique statements to stand out to their readers.

Oh well, I think I'm going to wait until I've got everything before I apply. Stupid post strikes. Guess it'll give me more time to redraft my statement or get some feedback on it.

Just to say 'hey' and another UK applicant here. I'm also getting stressed waiting for references to arrive.

I'm reading through the application PDF and I dont quite understand the 'International / Intercultural Experience' section of the form and whether I'm supposed to write something or not. I've been to three countries in my life, for holidays, but what can I put in that small space? I've elaborated more in my personal statement really...

Quote Originally Posted by beatnik
    I'm reading through the application PDF and I dont quite understand the 'International / Intercultural Experience' section of the form and whether I'm supposed to write something or not. I've been to three countries in my life, for holidays, but what can I put in that small space? I've elaborated more in my personal statement really...
    holidays count i believe. just count it as "travel"

have you participated in any community activities/festivals/etc?
    involved in an international-club-type-deal at uni?

if you have any foreign friends you can just say you were their private tutor.

Thanks for the info saritajuanita. I also live in one of the most multicultural cities in the world, so I'm sure I can write something interesting. And I guess writing in this section will make up for me not writing in the 3 boxes above which relate to teaching experience/qualifications, of which I have none! I mean, I taught my parents better English when I was a kid, because I was born here and they werent, but I'd hardly consider that fitting the criteria of 'teaching experience'. That hokey shit gets put into the personal statement...

Quote Originally Posted by pinch_me
    I think it was a really bad idea to try and apply during my last year. The work load i have is crazy, i hope that i can find enough time to produce a good application.
    Me too! I've got three "homeworks" (I like to pretend I'm back at school and things aren't as important), and here I am trying to write my Personal Statement.
    I just can't believe I'm in my last year already.. and I can't believe I'm finally applying to JET after waiting for so long and lurking on these forums!

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

I mean, I taught my parents better English when I was a kid, because I was born here and they werent, but I'd hardly consider that fitting the criteria of 'teaching experience'. That hokey shit gets put into the personal statement...
    I'd put it in there! Don't hold back, any experience you have, no matter how insignificant it seems, is worth listing IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

I mean, I taught my parents better English when I was a kid, because I was born here and they werent, but I'd hardly consider that fitting the criteria of 'teaching experience'. That hokey shit gets put into the personal statement...
    I'd put it in there! Don't hold back, any experience you have, no matter how insignificant it seems, is worth listing IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

I thought that the earlier you send it, the quicker your application would be selected for approval, because think about how many personal statements these guys have to read through.
    You're assuming that they process them as they receive them... but there's no real proof for that, and the whole application and interview process is an exercise in smoke and mirrors about how it all works.

Do not try to secondguess how any of it works.

Standing on your head and throat-singing your national anthem may have just as much affect. Or your theory may be entirely correct... but we have no way of knowing, so don't stress about it. Just follow due dates and instructions to the letter.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Apart from noting your name on their data base, they don't start processing applications until past the deadline. In fact, the initial process of sorting through the written applications is outsourced; so don't bust a gut getting it in early - it won't help you.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Another UK applicant here. Just about to start my statement. Blergh.

More post strikes from 15th - 18th.

I'm getting...aggravated.

I suppose if the strikes keep going on until the deadline, we can at least hope that they'll give some sort of dispensation for the parts that we have to physically send. A very small amount of hope, but still.

Put in anything, it doesn't matter. So long as it's vaguely within reason, the more international stuff you put in the more points you will get. And that goes for all those little questions too. If you did German in High School or did some training at some bullshit retail job, then you should put it in there. They're going to tally all that shit up, combine it with your score for your SoP, and then the top x% will get to the interview stage.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

If it makes you guys feel any better - I was a UK applicant, rushed my application and got it in the day before the deadline on recorded delivery. Made it to Japan just fine, so try not to stress!

EDIT: And if you're that worried, why not just send it via parcelforce or someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Timoshi
    Put in anything, it doesn't matter. So long as it's vaguely within reason, the more international stuff you put in the more points you will get. And that goes for all those little questions too. If you did German in High School or did some training at some bullshit retail job, then you should put it in there. They're going to tally all that shit up, combine it with your score for your SoP, and then the top x% will get to the interview stage.
    Thanks for the advice, yeah I'm just going to throw anything in there, and hope it makes a good impression. I just have to remember my life now!

Quote Originally Posted by Marrissey
    If it makes you guys feel any better - I was a UK applicant, rushed my application and got it in the day before the deadline on recorded delivery. Made it to Japan just fine, so try not to stress!

EDIT: And if you're that worried, why not just send it via parcelforce or someone?
    I've kind of chilled out about sending my application early, but now I'm just annoyed that I cant get my reference letters anytime soon because of postal strikes. It was hard enough finding anyone to do it in the first place. As a last resort I'll take time off work to harass my referees in person, or in desperation tell them to mail it to the embassy themselves. Infact I'm going to email them right now to remind them of my existence.

Having something in the boxes on the form is better than nothing.

Remember to refer to all the stuff you write on the form in your SOP.