Thread: Japanese - why?

Default Japanese - why?

Any other reason to study other than just because you're here and have nothing else to do?

I am thinking of taking the foreign service exam. I think that'd be an awesome job and Japanese ability would help. Bastard to get into that job apparently though so a language is helpful.

I know that kiwimusume wants to be a translator?

And you?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

well originally started studying japanese becuase it seemed interesting, and everyone i knew in school either studied spanish or french......so i choose japanese and chinese, then i realized i liked it.
    now it is good for speaking to inlaws and people at the kencho, and if all goes well i want to work for a sports marketing/advertising/entertainment company, and do work between the us and japan.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Interest in the pop culture turned into an interest in the language, which in turn turned into a strong interest in the culture and the country in general. I'm not seriously studying at the moment, but I hope to continue soon. I do want to get a job down the line that would use my Japanese skills, because it's pretty much the only skill I have.
    Translation/interpretation, diplomacy (that's a toughy!), or perhaps something entirely different but working in Japan.

It used to be a mild interest, now it's the path my life is taking.

Its also the path my life is taking - I have similar reasons to both Mark (as I'm married to a Japanese woman - it good to be able to argue in Japanese), and I have some interest in the country.

I don't really fancy working for a Japanese company in Japan though - I'm thinking more along the lines of universities - hopefully I can get out of English teaching.

I'm really crap with languages, and Japanese is no exception. I hate studying, but I know I have to, and that its good for me.

Also my teacher sets me weekly homework - without that structure I wouldn't get anywhere.

A lot of people i know say this but im more of a fan of diy strucutrue personally. I like to decide what to do and when to do it as related to my gaols like the JLPT or whatever.

Yeah, its a personal thing - I've tried both, and I know what works for me...

I just like learning languages so that I can make friends a,read the original translation of books, and watch foreign films without subtitles. There are so many French films on NHK and I cant watch any :cry:
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

it was either Japanese with the sweet little Japanese lady who let us watch TV in class gosh that was sooo cool in year 7) and madame grande, also called the grenade because she was strict, scary and was like to blow up in your face if you anything wrong.

and it just sorta stuck....
    Polyester: Fabric from the rendered fat of dinosaurs. Amazing.

For the obvious reasons, but also for purely academic ones. I dunno, there's something about languages written in other scripts that I like. I learnt Ancient Greek for the same reason, although it's far easier than Japanese :P
    "Pay no attention to the super delegates behind the curtain." - CBS News

Anything is easier than J. The Js at work are surprised when i tell them that Chinese is a piece of piss compared to their awful awful language they are really surprised.

Pandilex

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Anything is easier than J. The Js at work are surprised when i tell them that Chinese is a piece of piss compared to their awful awful language they are really surprised.
    Is it?

Is that excluding the kanji then

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

I thought this thread was going to be lamenting about why this language was ever invented. This thread disappoints. :P

In all seriousness, I actually got into Japanese pretty randomly. At my high school, third formers (freshmen/first years) could choose one optional subject out of Japanese, home ec and business studies. Japanese and home ec both sounded kinda fun to me, and I couldn't decide which one to take, so I ended up talking to one of those people who help you pick subjects, who said that home ec could be started in 4th form too, but Japanese had to be started in 3rd form. So I went for Japanese and ended up really liking it. Took it at university, decided I wanted to get into translating (also completely by chance) and here I am now, in a job that's not all that relevant to what I want to do in future, but it's giving me plenty of opportunity to improve my Japanese, and paying me for it to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Is it?

Is that excluding the kanji then

In a way the kanji are harder because there's a lot more of them in daily use but in another way they're not because each one doesn't have six billion different readings.

Also in Standard Chinese they have been simplified right down so they are much easier to write - however some people ive talked to say that the way that many of the radicals have been changed makes it harder to guess at meanings or remember meanings from radicals.

I tend to agree with them.

Of course my Chinese is shit and gets shitter every day. Mark would probably have a better idea.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

well the longer i was there the easier it seemed....yeah like everyone knows there are just thousands upon thousands of hanzi (kanji) but as dombay said, there is only one reading for each one and once you know it, it never changes......Chinese grammar is almost identical to english so if you dont have to worry about grammar structers the kanji are easier to learn, i still know the meaning of 100s of kanji that i have no idea how to read in japanese and am slowly forgetting in chinese.

japanese is easier to speak, chinese is easier to learn...
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

I had always wanted to study an Asian language since I was very young, mainly because it was so entirely different from English. It would have been nice to start my studies in high school, but growing up in South Texas, studying Asian languages (much less HEARING them) was basically non-existent. I was able to study Japanese briefly for two semesters in college. I thought I had long since forgotten most of my Japanese by the time I showed up in Japan nearly 4 years after I studied it, however, my memory has gotten a good jump start. I'm trying very hard to improve, although my speaking ability is pitiful. Reading, writing, and listening have all improved very quickly in only 10 weeks being in Japan. I just hope I'm not so old that I've reached the threshold where acquiring a new language is impossible :/

Quote Originally Posted by Moving2fast
    I just hope I'm not so old that I've reached the threshold where acquiring a new language is impossible :/
    You are 26 buddy, if you think you are too old now to learn anything, you will have a sad 50 years ahead of you
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"