Thread: Good Game for Kids Please

Default Good Game for Kids Please

Does anyone have any suggestions for good games that don't involve a lot of drawing, cutting, and pasting to make the games? I teach in high school, but also do weekend kid classes (2 classes of 20 3-4th graders) sometimes for extra money. For some reason my brain is fried and I can't think of anything interesting.
    My two lessons are
    1 "What is it?" "It's a..." the head of the program just wants me to use very basic objects for the examples, things they already should know.
    2 Buy and bought
    I'm completely stumped. Any advise would go a far way.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Have a look at www.genkienglish.net. They have a lot of good ideas for kids' games.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Just play Karuto. It's entertaining for you because it gets so violent. Or Shiritori - the kids have an orgasm over playing that for some reason and it takes very little effort. Good 'sensei has a hangover' game.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

karuto? 2kyu you say?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

is my romaji not up to scratch? Pretty sure they don't test that.

just transliterating how they say it around here ...

We don't talk like you upper crust tokyo people. People around here just grunt.

Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Sorry Georgie - just had to endure 15 minutes of conversation with some 90 year old taxi driver in my town's ben. Was torture. Bit sensitive about it.

And that time people in Osaka said I speak Japanese like I live in the inaka and people here say I speak Japanese like a big city person Going to have a bit of a cry now.

Well I speak Japanese like a new born, so it could be worse.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

OP - for "What is it?", wrap some items from the 100yen store individually in newspaper (several layers) and play "Pass the parcel". When the music stops you ask "What is it?" and the student replies "It's a ...." If he/she is right they can keep it, if not they unwrap one layer of newspaper and the game starts again. I did this in a Japanese class in Australia when the kids were studying "Kore wa nan desu ka" and my Year 7s went wild for it.
    Of course, you have to teach the names of the items first. I just used things you would find in a pencil case - most kids love stationery.
    For "buy/bought", you could play the A-Z game. Great for sentence repetition, building vocab. and memory.
    Ken: "I will buy a (something beginning with A)"
    Sachiko "I will buy a (something beginning with B). Ken bought a (item Ken bought)."
    Jun: "I will buy a (something beginning with B). Sachiko bought a (Sachiko's item). Ken bought a (Ken's item)."
    Etc. around the room.
    You could keep it to fruit and vegies, or stationery, or animals, or let them choose anything. If they're not too good on ABCs they can choose any item. If they don't know many English nouns they can give the Japanese word, since that's not the purpose of the lesson anyway. If you can be bothered with a bit of cutting and pasting, you can make cards of items, so they turn up a card and use that when they buy their item.
    Have fun!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

thanks for the tips