Thread: No, mate, I don't work for NOVA

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Default No, mate, I don't work for NOVA

So far I've received 4 emails from concerned friends back home checking that I'm not working for NOVA.
    Anyone else had this?
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I get sick of people asking what I do in Japan whenever im not in Japan. They say 'oh are you an English teacher' and are almost giggling behind their hands. I either say 'I'm a high school teacher' with a filthy look or 'I'm a government employee'.

Why the fuck do taxi drivers and people who work in customer service ask this?! Fuckers.

But then on the other hand I often get a 'welcome home' from randoms in Hong Kong which I never correct them on and flight attendants and hotel staff quite often speak to me in Japanese for some reason. I very rarely correct them. I am white but I could be Russian or German I suppose and my details do say my address is in Japan I guess.

So ashamed Possibly over image-conscious.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I got at least 10 people ask me quietly if I was involved with Nova, before I flew out.

Nice to know that people care anyway.

Or they want gossip.

(Heres my Nova gossip - the Kawachinagano branch is full of trashbags, piled up against the door. Its depressing.)
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

I don't think anyone in my country even knows about NOVA. Half, even those who went to university, honestly believe South Korea, Taiwan and Japan are the same thing. GRRR and they think ANYONE can teach in Japan. That makes my mother mad because she knows how difficult it is to get on JET and that you need a degree.
    I just pretend people are jealous
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

I met a girl at a bar last week who just got back from Japan working for nova. She said that they ripped her off 3k, so she packed it in and came back to Canada.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

My mum emailed me, after my aunt told her she'd seen something on the news about "English teachers in Japan not getting paid", and asked if it was me. Half marks there, actually, because I did apply for Nova after I got rejected for JET the first time I applied, but they turned me down. *thanks person up there who was obviously looking out for me*

Nobody else has asked, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

When I was back home last week I had HEAPS of people ask if I was with NOVA.
    I dont know whats more ignorant though, the fact that that dont actually know what Im doing or that they thought I was with NOVA and havent emailed or called me before now to check if things were okay... :?:
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson.

I was outside this past weekend playing with my RC Helicopter, and a neighbor (who has never spoken to me before) comes over and asks me if I work for NOVA. He had a very concerned look on his face when he asked that.

(In my mind I waned to say 'No, I don't work for NOVA. You're not getting rid of me that easily.')