Thread: Nova bankruptcy increasing competition?

Default Nova bankruptcy increasing competition?

Now that Nova is history there are going to be quite a few English teachers looking for a new teaching gig in Japan. I'm sure at least some of them, perhaps many, will apply for JET as they still have plenty of time to get in an ap before the deadline. These people have experience both living and teaching in Japan and I'm afraid this is going to make it harder for those of us who are applying without that experience. If the Nova peeps do apply for JET, this would require them to fly back to their home country for their interview(right?) which may be a deterrent (depending on distance/travel expenses). Then again, some of them might be headed home anyway. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for these folks but I don't really want them taking my job...not that there's anything I can do about it besides submitting the best ap I possibly can and hoping for the best. Thoughts?

Yes, they would have to fly to home countries to apply, mostly for interviews, etc... however... there are ways to get english-tutoring/teaching jobs whilst in Japan. I work with a NET, which is the same as a JET, but hired from within Japan, and with more experience, etc.

In the JET programme, there are many things that you have utterly no control over and worrying endlessly about these things is pointless and self-destructive.

Ex-NOVA employees undermining your chances of getting into JET is one of those things. Just apply and see what happens.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

I doubt that many people from nova will apply. You have to fly home, get 2 references, than jump through all the hoops. I'm sure many Nova people threw in the towel..

I don't think you have to worry about that too much. Yes, there might be some highly qualified ex-NOVA employees in this year's applicant pool, but just because they're highly qualified English teachers who have lived abroad for a few years does not mean they will get accepted into the JET program.

Every year there are many people with excellent credentials, high levels of Japanese experience, extended stays in Japan, etc. who get turned down. This has lead many people to believe that it is possible to be too qualified for the JET program. Just look through some back posts on this very board to find instances of highly qualified candidates not getting in.

In terms of competition increasing, a big chunk will come from people who would have applied for Nova (but after reconsidering their options) are trying to get into JET. But yeah, there's no doubt a handful of ex-Novas who got burnt by the collapse will apply for JET. There are relatively less up-front costs and lower risks in working for JET, so it's quite an attractive offer for them.

To make things worse, because of depopulation and rural -> urban migration, a lot of schools around Japan are closing so less and less positions will become available. Exacerbating this, re-contracting JETs who know their schools are closing, can transfer and they will take up a lot of first year's spots. After all of that, you can also take into account that JETs can stay for up to 5 years now. Ohhh and finally, tightening budgets in a lot of BOE's mean that ALT positions are cut or taken away from JET into private hands.

So yeah, it's going to be tough. Nonetheless, long term Nova employees won't be eligible to apply and there are still plenty of spots available. I'm no expert, but my guess is that for consulates like New York, the odds for getting in will probably slip from around 100 spots for 400 applicants, to about 80 from 500 (which isn't so bad). Sydney on the other hand (where I'm from), will probably slip from 30 spots out of 600, to something even worse!
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timoshi
    There are relatively less up-front costs...
    I wish... starting a position from scratch with no pred is not so much fun. :P
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Yeah yeah yeah, it's still ESID gah.

But by and large it's less because we don't pay for our flights and most BOEs can bail out broke JETs with loans.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Unless the BOE is also broke. There's quite a lot of that going around.

Mine isn't but I have a lot of friends with horror stories of pretty bad stinginess.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

A local JET's window was broken when she got here and they still haven't fixed it for her 'cos they say they don't have the money. But I think the real lack of money situations are most often the prefectural JETs or the people that don't really have a BoE and are more taken care of by their base schools. She's a prefectural or semi-prefectural. Haha, ESID indeed, damnit. By and large, though, I think it's probably 'safer' to be penniless as a JET than a NOVA, because often you're someone's direct responsibility and if you're digging through dumpsters it reflects badly on them. Generally. Sometimes.

A i understand it you can apply for Jet and interview for Jet in Japan. It is relatively new to do. Maybe bought in in the last couple of years

No you can't. Have you ever posted a useful comment on here?
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Hey, Timoshi, I'd settle for Wattie's posts being vaguely intelligible, never mind intelligent!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

A I read - well I trying to. Seem it standard same bought by ichinensei mine. Is vaguely understandable. This you settle it on wicket?
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

:smt005
    *head asplodes*
    But seriously, wattiewatson, that IS what it's like reading your posts. I don't care about the odd typo or grammar error (sure I make them myself), but you need to start sounding a little less like a retarded Yoda.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Quote Originally Posted by Sciby
    I work with a NET, which is the same as a JET, but hired from within Japan, and with more experience, etc.
    Hey Sciby, what is this NET? Where can I find out more about it?
    Pau

NET is Native English Speaker. As Sciby said, they are hired from within Japan by Boards of Education (usually prefectural) because they've been living here for a while and have the necessary experience and/or qualifications.
    My pred at my current school was one. He was a bit of a knob.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    NET is Native English Speaker

Native... N. Got it.

English.. E. Cool.

Speaker T. Okay.

No, wait. Speaker, T, Speaker, T, Speaker, T.

One of us might be dyslexic. And it me not is.

Samesong appreciation thread time?

That one next to the "Paul's Christmas Card Thread" edit: too bitchy
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

From my experience it seems that a decent number of NOVA people are people who didn't get into JET for some reason or another. So I doubt it'll be an issue.

Plus, as you all know, the application is a bit of a hastle to do. Just think how difficult it would be if you were trying to do it FROM Japan.

Seriously. NOVA employees will not be messing things up next year. Word has it some other company will bail them out soon enough anyways.