Thread: What do you do with your English Club?

Default What do you do with your English Club?

I'm running dry on ideas. Today I'm thinking Celebrity Heads, but after that I'm all out
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Default Re: What do you do with your English Club?

Quote Originally Posted by Timoshi
    I'm running dry on ideas. Today I'm thinking Celebrity Heads, but after that I'm all out
    I've only had one meeting at my base school and that was a Halloween Party where they brought a load of candy in and we got sick together while talking about places they'd like to visit on a globe and what noise cows make. Helpful I know.

At my visit school we usually play cards or sing camp songs or something. To be honest - the kids basically run it at my schools - I just go along and speak to them in English for an hour. Sorry - this really isn't much help is it?!

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

here are some ideas that we have tried:i) Tongue Twisters: They actually really liked this. Pick something hard and they'll work at it forever, then get them to try one by one. Mary sells seashells, Peter Piper, How much wood could a woodchuck... and all that good stuff. It's fun to laugh at them too.ii) English Idioms: Make a giant list and have them do pronounciation work, then explain to them in English what it means. Another fun activity was having them all pick a Japanese idiom and explain it to us in English.iii) Timed Conversation: Seat them in partners and have each pair write down a conversation topic or question. Then pass the papers around, having conversations each time for 1 or 2 minutes. It'll take up a good chunk of time and some of the questions are hilarity.iv) If...: Have conversations based around "If" questions, such as "If you could have dinner with anybody, living or dead...", "If you could live anywhere for a year", etc. Then, get each kid to spill the beans in front of the group.v) 20 Questions: Have a kid come up and pick a person, place, or thing. Then, one by one, the rest of the group has to ask YES or NO questions, eventually hazarding a guess. The one that guesses gets to go next.vi) Who Am I Party Game: Tape a name on each kid's back (person or character), then have them mill about asking YES or NO questions in a desperate attempt to guess who they are. I had a blast coming up with names - Santa Claus, Tominaga-sensei (a teacher), Anpanman.vii) Blanked Music: Obvious I guess, but find song lyrics and have them fill in blanks. Pick something cool, regardless of how hard it is - they'll appreciate it more. If there's a semi-intelligible bad word, just change the lyric on the printed sheet and nobody's the wiser.viii) Make a Movie: Grab your school's video camera and tell the kids to write a script for a movie you'll tape. Then show it to them. This can take up an infinite amount of time.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Wow Mark! There are a lot of great ideas there. I'm sure my kids will appreciate them. i, ii and vii, would work really well I think.

The who am I party game is basically celebrity heads and that one's good fun. My supervisor was Jack Sparrow but he had never heard of him. We all had a laugh at his expense...
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

I usually take the whole club out for a cigarette then after school I take them out and get them rip roaringly drunk.

But then I am the only person in my English Club, so I don't get as caught up in the red tape as I'm sure you all would if you were to do this with your clubs.

I am at the same point. My ESS club are all 2-nenseis and thus I have already had them in ESS for a year. They need full entertainment, and the less it has to do with ENglish the better. So please can everyone send me their germs and make me sick before tomorrow. I teach the crappy science class who hate ENglish as well, and I have no plans for my weekend, so its going to be another lonely one, so might as well sleep it away.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

--Another fun activity for them was when they had to figure out how many words they could make with the letters from the word CHOCOLATE. They did it in teams and raced to win (yes, you guessed it) chocolate that I brought from home.

--They also really liked looking at cartoons. I brought in some Snoopy cartoons and some Calvin and Hobbes cartoons. Snoopy was funnier for them, interestingly enough.

--a traveling stor could go over well too. Each kid writes 2 sentences or so of a story, and then they pass the papers around the circle. They folded the paper so that each student could only read what the previous person had written and nothing before. One of the stories ended up with an English teacher turning in to a frog or something.

--bring in a little Christmas tree to decorate in the ESS Room in December, and think about coloring Easter Eggs in the spring if you can get somebody to send some dye.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

I've set a date for the end of this month to go to karaoke. They have a month to prepare their favourite English songs. I've told them that if they want lyrics, they can bring me the song name and I'll get them from the net.

A game that worked suprisingly well was Go Fish. Orginally, I made my own set of cards, but it was pretty unnecessary. Just by a pack of bicycles, and get them doing the "do you have the .... of ....?" "No I don't, Go Fish". Nice and easy vocabulary, and it can take over an hour with no boredom factor.

I wrote down a whole bunch of random words on pieces of paper like "favourite", "sister", "summer", "scary". Each student must randomly pick a card, and then say any 3 things relating to that word (e.g.: I have 2 sisters. both my sisters are older than me. I like having sisters.).

For a club of only 1 or 2 students, pick a family member and get the students to write letters. You can use one afternoon to make the drafts, and another to write the letters out neatly and decorate them. Post them home and ask the family member to reply. (for quicker response time, write emails instead)

choose an afternoon when school ends early and show a movie in the audioviual room. advertise it to the rest of the school as an english club open day. its a great way to get more members too.

find out the students' favourite songs and get the music videos. stage your own MTV channel for the students.

what I haven't done yet (since my students aren't interested, damn them) is start a translation club. it could be awesome, but definately for higher level kids (which I dont have). get a latest manga volume (that's no licensed in the US, of course), translate it to English and post the tranlsation on the internet. after a few translations, you should start to get some positive feedback from internet randoms, which could be a big confidence boost for the students.
    * And the Lord said unto John "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster. *

And you could put Google AdSense on the site and make a bit of cash on the side! Brilliance!
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

I have been doing English Diaries for a while starting from 8yrolds up and it has been a big success!

I did a scavenger hunt on friday and my girls LOVED it. Though they were exhausted from running around
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"