Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: JLPT lazy study skills

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

My friend wrote an 1kyuu-ella fic about me for the essay part of his Japanese exam!!! :smt005

Wicket, don't know anything about the 2-3 jump because I never took 3kyuu (which I have regretted ever since I found out about the 3級/産休 double entendre) but I can say that I did pretty abominably on 1kyuu practice stuff when I first started studying (40% on grammar and I was afraid to even attempt the vocab test because I knew the results would make me cry) and now 8 months later I'm fine. You've got a year, I bet you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Wicket I really do think it's possible: As ini will tell you I didn't actually turn up to 3q last year (though i know the material back to front now and did a lot of past exams in it) and I did 2kyuu on Sunday (though I reckon I probably didn't pass, felt like a bit of a 50 percent job).

So until about August I was planning to do 3q this year and just really kick it's arse and then do 2 in 2008. Then I went to this course in Osaka during the August break. The teachers there basically told me to stop being such a wuss and start studying for 2kyuu.

Now I think I failed but I think I could have passed with more Vocab study and just generally more dedication. That was in the space of three and a half months - with a year I think it's more than possible.

Now admittedly I did have a headstart with kanji (I still know more kanji than I need to for 2q now) and I DID study really hard (though I could have always studied harder).

The point I'm making is that if you really set yourself to work you can absolutely overcome the 3-2 gap. It's not as big as people say it is. There's only 156 grammar points to learn, 700 odd kanji and some listening practice as well as learning some vocab and you're there. In the space of a year that sort of material is more than able to be covered.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Thanks Dombay! I started going over the 1991 test today, copying out the kanji, looking them up, making my own sentences etc. Only 363 days left to study...
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    There's only 156 grammar points to learn, 700 odd kanji and some listening practice as well as learning some vocab and you're there. In the space of a year that sort of material is more than able to be covered.
    I'm surprised you didn't mention the reading comprehension; that is the part that I probably bombed the hardest. For one, I sure as hell didn't have enough time to read all of the passages, so I ended up randomly filling in blanks. Two, there really isn't a good way to get better at reading comprehension other than just reading, reading, and more reading.

Oh yeah, I probably bombed the test. But next year, right?

Haha, ONLY 156 grammar points to learn and 700 odd kanji.
    I'm sure it's possible to go from JLPT3 to 2 in 1 year but you'd have to study every day for sure, and also depending on how much other grammar above of JLPT3 you already know.
    I was flicking through my Rabbit Express kanji cards yesterday which covers all of Level 2 and almost 1 out 4 cards I pulled out I already knew a fair bit about.

I don't know about anyone else but learning stuff seems to be much easier once you get to this level. Words seem to stick much easier and I can find myself learning the odd word or kanji without even trying, even just looking at the kanji once.

When I first started, it must have taken me several weeks to just master the kanji for the days of the week and number 4-10 and a few basic greetings.

I doubt I'll do JLPT2 next year, I've probably not even made it through level 3. But who knows, never say never.

Quote Originally Posted by ENAY
    Although, is it me or did the first part in section 1 seem to be pretty much 1 or 4?

In that case I did not do as crappy as I thought, or we both did crappy
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Samesong: If you know your kanji and your grammar reading should be easy.

Also a lot of people think they're really clever and do the grammar first and the reading second.

This is bad strategy and will cost you marks.

Also a lot of people think they're really clever and do the grammar first and the reading second.

This is bad strategy and will cost you marks.
    I do that, and it's not because I think I'm "clever". It's for my own peace of mind. If I (and note that I say "I", not everybody) do reading first, I worry about finishing it in time to get all of the grammar done. This means that I don't concentrate as well, and am more likely to make silly mistakes. I've always liked to get the quick questions out of the way first so I know exactly how much time I've got to spend on the longer ones.

IMO, you should just go with what works for you, and if you don't know what works for you, do some practice tests and experiment with different ways.
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

For reading comprehension, don't actually read the whole passage. Read the questions and answers first, and then skim the passage for that information. If you do then you'll have plenty of time to finish. But like dombay said, if you're not up to par on grammar and kanji it can be difficult to find the key points.

As for doing grammar before reading, I think it's a good idea if grammar is easy for you. You should always do easy questions you can do quickly first to leave a lot of time for the more difficult problems.

Taking the JLPT is just like any other test. You need to have good test taking skills.

The reading questions are worth more and take more time to complete. The grammar questions, if you know the grammar, can be done with 20 seconds each.

You don't want to feel rushed with the reading because it's just worth more and requires more concentration because the passages are long unlike the grammar which is one sentence each.

My 2 cents anyway.

The reading questions are worth more and take more time to complete. The grammar questions, if you know the grammar, can be done with 20 seconds each.

You don't want to feel rushed with the reading because it's just worth more and requires more concentration because the passages are long unlike the grammar which is one sentence each.

My 2 cents anyway.
    That is so, so freaky, because those are the EXACT reasons I like to get grammar out of the way first...