Thread: Australians! Help meh!!

VIP

Default Australians! Help meh!!

Okay this is possibly too last minute to be any good, but thanks to my being sicky I've left this a bit late.

My teachers have 'instructed me' that they want a lesson on Australian Aboriginals. Since an Aussie ALT did suuuch a good job on it some years ago, they want something similar. Which is...troublesome, since I'm effing Canadian. But anyway, I've put together a handout about Aboriginal art and symbolism, but now I'm not sure what to do.

Can anyone throw me a bone? I want to talk about the Aboriginies' concept of 'Dreaming' and how it explains the world, but it's really complex and I'm having trouble wording it in a simple way that really addresses it well.

This is for low level kids, btw. They're obsessed with music so I want to include some of that, but can't find it to download anywhere.

Any ideas? Haaaaaaaaaaaaalp.
    Fight like a grapefruit, aim for the eyes.

I taught a lesson recently on reconciliation with Aborigines in Australia after Cathy Freeman won a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in B.C. and did her victory lap carrying both the Australian and Aborigine flags, and again at the Olympics in Sydney. I don't know if it'd be relevant to what you're planning, but my students found the story really interesting. Google her name or "sorry in the sky" if you're interested.

Being Canadian myself, I'm not the expert on the subject, unfortunately. ^^; My JTE seemed to know about it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by meganegaki
    I taught a lesson recently on reconciliation with Aborigines in Australia after Cathy Freeman won a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in B.C. and did her victory lap carrying both the Australian and Aborigine flags, and again at the Olympics in Sydney.
    Hah are you using the same textbook as me? I taught that one as well...

KateW in terms of Dreamtime and Aboriginal culture - music and art are really important... If you could download a piece of basic music like digerdoo type stuff, and then read a simple story about one of the Dreamtime myths over the top of the music - kind of like story time.

Then, if I were you, a cool thing to do you be to get the kids to draw thier interpretation/comprehension of the story in Aboriginal style (dots and handprints and only about 4 colours). They have a really specific way of painting, and by explaining a few key words and introducing them to some new animals they could create a drawing which relates to what you have said.

Or, have them listen to Aboriginal music and then try to guess what instruments are playing (bet theyve mostly never seen of/heard of a Didgeridoo)

Look up Dreamtime on the internet, theres bound to be some very basic stories about this which include animals and stuff. From what I remember as a kid, it has something to do with a turtle creating the world?
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson.

VIP

Those are awesome ideas Lains, I really like the idea of getting them drawing, but my only worry is that they're really low level. For me to stand at the front of the class and read a whole story out loud would be too much for them, they'd get totally lost. I'm planning on using a music clip to show them the sound, even though I'll have to use Youtube to do it.

Right now I have a handout about the art (where I ask them to guess what the different symbols mean) and a handout about dreamtime with some lame comprehension questions at the end. I would love to have them draw but I don't know if having them interpret a story would work, it might just be too dang difficult.

I guess I could always ask them to try drawing different Australian animals in the aboriginal style? :?:
    Fight like a grapefruit, aim for the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by lains
    Quote Originally Posted by meganegaki
    I taught a lesson recently on reconciliation with Aborigines in Australia after Cathy Freeman won a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in B.C. and did her victory lap carrying both the Australian and Aborigine flags, and again at the Olympics in Sydney.
    Hah are you using the same textbook as me? I taught that one as well...
    Nah, my JTE just photocopied that one story out of another textbook, it was to supplement the reading on Australia (specifically, Uluru) that we'd done the week before. Though that book looked a hell of a lot more interesting than the one we're actually using!