Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: JET vs. Interac

Default Re: JET vs. Interac

Just going to say I work for Interac and I like my job. I don't make as much money, but I like that any school issues that come up are handled by the company. This is also just my situation but the JTEs here have told me they view Interac ALTs are more professional due to the rules we follow and such. (IE dress code, training, etc.) I think this is more a reflection of past JETs in this area more than anything else.

Granted there are JET perks that many people will want and go for. I however weighed the options and decided JET was not for me so I did not apply. I personally wanted the option of transfering if I didn't like my placement. That was a big point for me. Hwever I lucked out and I really like my placement. I also wanted more time off even if it meant less pay. I don't like fighting for vacation time and sometimes people get iffy even when you simply ask for it. It is nice for me to know I have time set aside every year for when I want go on trips.

I will say with Interac though every BRANCH is different. I have had good experiences with my branch, but the rules and procedures with each one are very different.

I think Interac like JET can be a crapshoot. You never know what you are going to get until you get it. You can be happy or you can be miserable.

I think it is possible to work for Interac and be happy. They may have exactly what you are looking for. However I can't say too much on the JET side since everything I know comes from my JET friends and what I read online on forums. I will say that online people tend to spin the negative more than the positive so JET can come across as very bleak at times, but I am sure it has awesome moments as well.

It all comes down to what the person is looking for in a job. For some people it isn't all about the pay and for some it is.
    Last edited by Schuldich; July 2nd, 2009 at 13:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuldich View Post
    I don't like fighting for vacation time and sometimes people get iffy even when you simply ask for it. It is nice for me to know I have time set aside every year for I want go on trips.

I will say with Interac though every BRANCH is different. I have had good experiences with my branch, but the rules and procedures with each one are very different.

I think Interac like JET can be a crapshoot. You never know what you are going to get until you get it. You can be happy or you can be miserable.

I think it is possible to work for Interac and be happy.
    It all comes down to what the person is looking for in a job. For some people it isn't all about the pay and for some it is.
    Yes, I can tell you that my office is VERY stingy when it comes to granting time off. With my new non-Interac ALT job, I will have ample time. I think I still get paid during the days school is not in session (at least that is what my contract says).

I second that about the differences between Interac branches and head office. I got an email that I was accepted by Interac on June 5. Then the recruiting manager tells me yesterday that I was not hired. In the meantime, Interac Hiroshima still continues to call me even though head office told me I wasn't hired!

Yes, JET can be a crap shoot like Interac. Some CIRs are treated wonderfully while others like me are just looked upon as hired help and not even able to offer expertise about our home countries.

You hit the nail on the head about creating your own happiness in whatever environment you find yourself in. Good on you!
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by Schuldich View Post
    Just going to say I work for Interac and I like my job. I don't make as much money, but I like that any school issues that come up are handled by the company. This is also just my situation but the JTEs here have told me they view Interac ALTs are more professional due to the rules we follow and such. (IE dress code, training, etc.) I think this is more a reflection of past JETs in this area more than anything else.

Granted there are JET perks that many people will want and go for. I however weighed the options and decided JET was not for me so I did not apply. I personally wanted the option of transfering if I didn't like my placement. That was a big point for me. Hwever I lucked out and I really like my placement. I also wanted more time off even if it meant less pay. I don't like fighting for vacation time and sometimes people get iffy even when you simply ask for it. It is nice for me to know I have time set aside every year for I want go on trips.

I think it is possible to work for Interac and be happy. They may have exactly what you are looking for. However I can't say too much on the JET side since everything I know comes from my JET friends and what I read online on forums. I will say that online people tend to spin the negative more than the positive so JET can come across as very bleak at times, but I am sure it has awesome moments as well.

Very well said, I pretty much feel the same way.

On many days since I have become a CIR, I wish I could have returned to teaching eikaiwa in the 90s.

Not sure how I'd feel if I had become a JET ALT instead of a JET CIR.
    " I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"-Barry Goldwater

I had 3 classes yesterday where I only spoke 23 words combined.

It's no big deal. Lots of money per word.

I imagine some interac placements are the same.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

You even counted them

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD View Post
    I had 3 classes yesterday where I only spoke 23 words combined.

It's no big deal. Lots of money per word.

I imagine some interac placements are the same.
    And who said being a human tape recorder doesn't have its perks??!!!

I applied for JET, but only made it as an alternate =(. I know of some sister city ALT programs in Phoenix, Arizona with Himeji (which I also applied for and I screwed up the interview, but I thought I did very well in the JET one) and I think there are also a few in Wisconsin and Indiana. The pay is just as good as JET's and I have some friends who did Phoenix/Himeji and they loved it. The apartment is also free with them, but not sure about the other sister city programs though.

I applied for Interac (and this was as a means of being my last resort) despite being aware of their shady reputation. After submitting my application, they gave me an interview in Phoenix the following Monday and I'm set to go to Kagawa in Shikoku (with an orientation in Hiroshima, where I studied abroad during my senior year of high school) later this summer. I have never been to Shikoku and decided to make the best of this opportunity. Plus, I have friends and family in Hiroshima and Okayama so I know of a convenient means of reliance.

But if the in the event that JET provides me an upgrade, then I'll go for JET instead.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoriarty84 View Post
    I applied for JET, but only made it as an alternate =(. I know of some sister city ALT programs in Phoenix, Arizona with Himeji (which I also applied for and I screwed up the interview, but I thought I did very well in the JET one) and I think there are also a few in Wisconsin and Indiana. The pay is just as good as JET's and I have some friends who did Phoenix/Himeji and they loved it. The apartment is also free with them, but not sure about the other sister city programs though.

I applied for Interac (and this was as a means of being my last resort) despite being aware of their shady reputation. After submitting my application, they gave me an interview in Phoenix the following Monday and I'm set to go to Kagawa in Shikoku (with an orientation in Hiroshima, where I studied abroad during my senior year of high school) later this summer. I have never been to Shikoku and decided to make the best of this opportunity. Plus, I have friends and family in Hiroshima and Okayama so I know of a convenient means of reliance.

But if the in the event that JET provides me an upgrade, then I'll go for JET instead.
    Decided to take the job even knowing about your new employer's shady reputation? A little risky, no? But the truth is, you have nothing to be worried about, Interac isn't a shady business, at least from my personal experience. Other than the fact that you are basically all on your own with the finances (besides transportation that's reimbursed) you shouldn't be disappointed with Interac.

Well, I suppose it can't be worse than Nova, ne? Plus, I've worked for a far inferior company before.....Heart......

Plus, I don't want to wait another year for JET, and continue my lame job as a substitute teacher that majored in Japanese and studio art. With Interac, at least I'm not too far from Hiroshima. If I decide to renew my contract, hopefully they can transfer me there directly and I can find my own place with my family's help.
    Last edited by jmoriarty84; July 6th, 2009 at 11:53.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoriarty84 View Post
    Well, I suppose it can't be worse than Nova, ne? Plus, I've worked for a far inferior company before.....Heart......

Plus, I don't want to wait another year for JET, and continue my lame job as a substitute teacher that majored in Japanese and studio art. With Interac, at least I'm not too far from Hiroshima. If I decide to renew my contract, hopefully they can transfer me there directly and I can find my own place with my family's help.
    Yeah transferring isn't a problem with Interac. You might have a problem getting a pin point location preference, but if you let them know well in advance about your interest in transfering to a specific area, they'll probably get you in that general region.
    Last edited by Spring; July 17th, 2009 at 12:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    with a brief transfer request I am now living and teaching in Miyagi.
    No wonder why Interac told me there were no Miyagi positions available LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cvmurrieta View Post
    No wonder why Interac told me there were no Miyagi positions available LOL
    What do you mean? Working with Interac?
    Last edited by Spring; July 17th, 2009 at 12:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    But you are in Sendai now, and working with Interac?
    I am in Sendai and working with the Miyagi kencho for only one more week!!!!!

I work a half-day today and head down to Watari-cho to meet the BoE. From August 1, I will be their ALT. Immi even processed my visa status change to ALT in 3 days. But I have until August 13 to get it changed. If I get it changed now, then I can't work my final week at the kencho.

I got my ALT job through Temp Staff Kamei. I really like the lady who is handling the details of my hiring. She knows her stuff (and cute to boot!).

They made it pretty clear in my seminar that the boards of education have to pick you and they wait until just about one month before you leave. That is why you don't know where you are going based on what they told me.

They also said I HAVE a job. It is kind of like being accepted into JET. You get the job but you don't know where you are going until months later. Not a hard concept.

I have been working here a while now and I never heard of anyone having to move. Did you get the job Spec-R?

Wow, haven't been here since I was a JET alternate, but suddenly remembered and thought I'd stop by. I've been working for Interac for a year and a half so far, and I really love it. I think it does definitely depend on your branch though, and also your BOE and schools. (The BOE is a factor in the holiday you're assigned, and also your placements)

Haven't really had any problems with the company themselves, except when there was a bit of confusion about contracts... but that was mostly down to the branch office being staffed by about 5 people, and they definitely tried to fix it as fast as they could. The Interac staff on a more local level are really lovely (though head office in Tokyo...)

Er - yeah. I love my city, love my schools (2 JH, 3 elementary), love the people I've met here, and couldn't really be happier with the way things happened. JET would've been nice for the extra money, but I'm really glad I ended up where I did.
    failure is just success rounded down, my friend!

Apologies for the threadomancy, but I thought I'd post here rather than starting a whole new topic.

Anyway, I've been interviewed for JET and it went OK. I think I have a very strong paper application as well, however, I'm working on back-up plans. Interac is probably my first fall-back option, however, whenever I look at the available jobs on their website they always mention how they're for people already residing in Japan. How do you actually get onto Interac without being in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOpus View Post
    Apologies for the threadomancy, but I thought I'd post here rather than starting a whole new topic.

Anyway, I've been interviewed for JET and it went OK. I think I have a very strong paper application as well, however, I'm working on back-up plans. Interac is probably my first fall-back option, however, whenever I look at the available jobs on their website they always mention how they're for people already residing in Japan. How do you actually get onto Interac without being in Japan?
    Apply.

Have you heard of google? Interac do interviews everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotty View Post
    sean bean and viggo mortensen are like aint no thang yo we just shank this bitch and gandalf says YOU CANT CUT A BITCH MADE OF FIRE MOTHERFUCKER put that shit away and fuckin CHEESE IT bitches

Quote Originally Posted by matt360 View Post
    Now I think of Magneto forming metal dildos to ram up his own ass. And then I picture Gandalf whispering to butterflies to go get him some dildos so he at least has something to do on that tower.

I had been interviewed by Interac almost a year ago but ultimately was not offered a job with them. The recruiters said they had wanted to hire me but the corporate headquarters apparently said other wise. I got nervous and stumbled alittle during my demo which I'm sure probably lead to the decision. Despite that, the recruiters said I could re-apply again when I felt ready which I did but message I got back said they had a strict policy on applicants re-applying. Not sure if anyone else has had this experience with ALT-staffing companies or Eikaiwa's.
    I've applied to JET before but didn't get to the interview process. I've heard though that JET is taking in less people not mention the number of applicants has increased.
    Last edited by Sirrus; June 7th, 2010 at 23:48.

Banned

Sirrus if you're still able to apply for JET this coming year, don't give up. Obviously don't wait around for it either - apply for other programs, do interesting stuff with your life. But it's certainly possible to get in a second time. And don't believe for an instant the people who are "elitist" about 2nd+ time applicants. Sometimes it just doesn't work out for various reasons, it's a competitive process and you can change a lot in a year. I was rejected the first year and got some more teaching experience of sorts, got involved in more stuff and really went all out with the references. And I'm shortlisted thsi year.

Good luck.