Thread: jhs elective class

Default jhs elective class

Hey I was wondering who else here is the primary teacher for a JHS English Elective class? What do you do in class?

I teach an 1nensei elective class, my JTE just assists me. So far, I've only had 3 classes - one on Halloween, one just with simple interviews/celebrity heads (do you/i like soccer? etc), and one on Thanksgiving. I also just have students write in notebooks for homework based on the topic from the class and they can ask me questions and all that. I don't check grammer/spelling, it's just for communication.

I have a class on Monday and I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking I may do something on gestures. I really feel like I ought to sit down and come up with some sort of curriculum for the entire duration of the class or something. I'm just curious what other people do.

I teach the same kind of class, but I'm in a low-level academic high school. Me and my JTE work out a basic curriculum at the beginning of the semester and we follow that. For ex: First 2 classes will cover directions, travel english, etc. The next few classes will be about Restaurants and so on. I prepare the materials and make the lesson plan.
    I'm actually doing a lesson on gestures today. I'm using charades to teach it. When the student acts out a word give a point for the word in English, the equivalent gesture (If it wasn't used by the acting student) and if there is a different gesture in Japan they get a point for it too.
    For ex: Come here:
    1 point - Guessing the word (come)
    1 point - The western gesture
    1 point - The Japanese version
    After that, I prepared a simple worksheet with pictures of people doing various gestures with and a word bank with all their meanings. I made mine, but I'm pretty sure you can find one on the net.

yeah... I get asked to come up with a lesson about once a month, and I'm told I've got to do it when I get to school... I've only had about 3 of these classes and I really don't know quite what my JTE wants out of me. What is elective English supposed to be?

... btw, gotta have one in 3 hours, so any advice would be awesome

I have elective classes in SHS, but even still some good topics they covered that I thought were interesting was:

- how to express opinion (eg. Japanese breakfast is better than Western breakfast because..., I like Summer more than winter because...)
    - drama, acting out a short Japanese fairytale in English, need lots of help writing the script)
    - how to describe pictures, like a scene with lots of people, and saying what actions they are doing

The gestures thing sounds pretty interesting too...
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson.