Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your back up plan?

Default What's your back up plan?

Hadn't seen a topic quite like this... Anyways, I was wondering what you guys are planning to do if JET doesn't work out (although I suppose for some of you, JET is a back up plan for something else). Another English teaching position? Something else completely?

My plan was originally to go straight from undergrad to grad school, but my professors convinced me to take a year or two off in between. I'm still not sure what I'll do if JET doesn't work out, but over winter break I'll see what other options are out there.

So, what about the rest of you?

I'll have to decide between graduate school or moving out to Colorado and working another full time job....either of which would be awsome but for entirely different reasons.

If it doesn't pull through I'll probably also take a trip to Australia to hang out for awhile before starting either of the other two options.

ill do a pgce at my current university. if that doesnt work out- i have no idea

Many failed JET's probably end up working for one of the english teaching companies or at a private school doing the same thing....the jobs just aren't as standardized.

In the end I doubt the experience is hugely different, minus the JET meetings & what not.

I'm still not entirely sure what I'll do. I applied last year and didn't get in and I just remained with the company I'm with. I've been there for going on 5 years and it doesn't really seem to get much better.

I may try for a local government job.
    I may look into other Japan jobs.

I'll figure that part out once I get there.

There is one job in particular that I'm interested in, but, JET wouldn't help me as far as experience goes, which is why I'm going to "work" in my field of study for a good while before even trying out for JET so I can get the work experience.

I was, originally, going to go for next year for 2009's group, but I'm going to put it off for a couple of years. There's a school being built right up the road from me that I want to get my foot into first.

I plan on applying to a few different programs if I don't get into JET. Right now I'm looking at GEOS and Interac.

Right now I'm working for a company which indirectly involves me in killing people (defense company). This job is un-satisfying, low pay (like $18/hr) and basically dead end. (I say this because when the USA economy crashes, we will all get laid off).

I'm leaving regardless in the middle of Feb for Australia to start my M.A. If all works out, I'll have my interview for JET before I leave Canada in Feb, do one semester towards my M.A, then take a year or 2 off for JET.

If I don't get into JET I'll just do my M.A and decide whether or not I want to work in Japan. (maybe I'll work in Australia, South Korea, China or Taiwan for a year instead). I just want to get some International work experience, and JET seems like the easiest/highest paying way to do it.

On the other hand I could start smoking Crack and see where that leads me.

Don't fail and you won't need one.

after meeting many other jets at the tokyo orientation and prefectural meetings who were socially retarded or clearly poor students, its easy to say that you'd have to be an idiot not to make it on JET. but given many of you who i'm sure are perfectly qualified that have already tried and failed only reaffirms the absolute crapshoot aspect of the JET selection process.

in the end, fill out all those forms like you have OCD, show up to the interview ON TIME, and then pray to whatever god you believe in that you make it.

that whole week of interviews i read ridiculous shit on these boards about complete dipshits showing up to their interviews a half hour late because of traffic or about how they locked themselves out of their house or some other stupid bullshit that deserves to get them rejected from jet. i interviewed in chicago (i live in the suburbs) and purposely took a train that got me there 3 hours early. i hung out at a borders bookstore going over stuff about japan and america i printed off of wikipedia. and then i casually strolled into the consulate about 10 minutes before my interview. dont be a fuckstick! go there ridiculously early and then hang out at a bookstore or in your car listening to music.

And the final bit of advice: don't listen to Frankdux.

There is no crapshoot. Those who are qualified and deserving of making the cut do... plus some of the dropkicks who are dragged in to make up the numbers.

Calling it a crapshoot is the sort of thing that people who either a) didn't get in or b) were made to wait as an alternate say to justify not being accepted straight away. It's kinda ridiculous.

Yeah. It's probably around 75% merit and 25% crap-shoot. Some of the best ALTs I've met were alternates and/or late arrivals. Also there are quite a few douchebags that slip through (take Frankdux for example). But, for the most part the people who deserve to get in do get in.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

If it was a crapshoot, they would have you send in a card saying you wanted in on the raffle, and then they would start up the lottery machine and just pick people at random. The people who who claim their brilliant friend got rejected, and meanwhile there's some fucktard in their prefecture who spends all his time drinking crappy Japanese beer and screwing ko-girls, are most likely overstating their case. It's simple economics. Everybody on JET is being paid the same base salary, so are you going consciously choose the fucktard over, say, the guy with teaching experience, losing value on your investment in the process? Not consciously, you won't. Some people are good actors and good bullshitters. That's the only reason why idiots get through. Either that, or there's enough room for idiots after they've snatched up all the good candidates.

Well yeah - with the ridiculous number of people JET have to interview and the limited contact time with the candidates, there's always going to be some good ones that slip through the net and some poor ones that end up in Japan. It's definitely the exception rather than the rule though.

cest la vie

Weird I was actually just about to start this same kind of thread.

During my study abroad in Japan I had what was called a "field placement" once a week at an elementary school which consisted of basically being a pseudo-ALT. I decided then I wanted to try to get back to teach somehow, and actually always intended on applying to AEON or geos until I decided to try for JET. I think being an ALT suits my personality and interests more than being a slave for an eikaiwa, but in the end I just want to get back to Japan for a year or two before getting on with grad school.

If I don't get in (I know it's gonna be tough) I'll be applying to Interac or altia central most likely. If their interview process is totally over by January I'll probably try geos.

Quote Originally Posted by krskrft
    Everybody on JET is being paid the same base salary, so are you going consciously choose the fucktard over, say, the guy with teaching experience, losing value on your investment in the process? Not consciously, you won't. Some people are good actors and good bullshitters.
    *Raises Hand*

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuker
    Everybody on JET is being paid the same base salary, so are you going consciously choose the fucktard over, say, the guy with teaching experience, losing value on your investment in the process? Not consciously, you won't. Some people are good actors and good bullshitters.
    *Raises Hand*
    Well I mean, honestly, who's going to do that? Hmm, I can either pay this fucktard $30,000/year to do the job or I can get the responsible person with actual teaching experience for the same price ... I think I'll take the fucktard!

Sure, it's a complicated process with a lot of different variables to investigate, but I can't imagine that their basic process is much different than any other process that requires applicants to list and demonstrate qualifications. In other words, they're going to take the most qualified candidates who they think stand the best chance of following through on their contracts. If a few idiots happen to get through, this doesn't mean that the process is random, it just means that the process isn't infallible.

Right now I have a pretty great job, the people are fun, the benefits are great, and the commute is only 10mins. The only problem is that the job is not very challenging. If I am going to do a fairly easy job that includes surfing the net for hours on end it might as well be in Japan right? (slightly kidding)

If I don't even make it to the interview I think I will try to get the hubby and myself a gig in the JET alternatives like other people have mentioned. Based on what I have seen regarding salaries for the other ALT gigs, we would really both have to get a job and in the same place for moving to Japan be financially feasible. (damn student loans and lack of rich, generous relatives)

Of course the very worst thing I think could happen is I end up staying put for the next year...and therefore I would admittedly be a bit emo...and so would the hubby...but then we will probably move for graduate school...wherever that maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuker
    *Raises Hand*
    Well I mean, honestly, who's going to do that? Hmm, I can either pay this fucktard $30,000/year to do the job or I can get the responsible person with actual teaching experience for the same price ... I think I'll take the fucktard!

Sure, it's a complicated process with a lot of different variables to investigate, but I can't imagine that their basic process is much different than any other process that requires applicants to list and demonstrate qualifications. In other words, they're going to take the most qualified candidates who they think stand the best chance of following through on their contracts. If a few idiots happen to get through, this doesn't mean that the process is random, it just means that the process isn't infallible.
    If the fucktard can read and dance that's basically all you need for JET.

Remember, it's a cultural exchange program.. Even if you have teaching experience, chances are you aren't going to be teaching anything.