Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: What's your back up plan?

Quote Originally Posted by lains
    Not entirely true... our most recent addition to Nara arrived only 2 weeks ago.
    Id say shes among the last few...
    Hence the normally part. Each year tends to vary a bit depending on the applicants and number of 'freak-outs'. Normally they give around 2 weeks for you to get things together as well but there have always been the 'horror' stories of having to go in as little as 3 days.

Apping to JET is always a bit odd. Some get short-listed their first attempt then bug out the first hour after getting to Japan. Others are denied the first year then short-listed the second. And it seems that many made alternates their first attempt don't even make it to the interview the second. Overall I've heard more people getting in on their third attempts than second attempts.

Just do what you can to improve your odds and whatever the outcome do what you have to.

The thing is, I think most of the alternates get placed. I was an alternate, and the dude told me there were about 150 other alternates but that I had a really good chance of getting in because I was high-ish on the alternate list. And now, here I am. The thing that sucked most about it was the waiting. And waiting. From sending the application to leaving for Japan, it was 9 months! That is crap! For an eikaiwa, it only takes 5 months. I guess that's the difference between doing the private thing and a government thing.

I was mid-high on the list and was told I had around a 80% chance of being upgraded. Person right before me was upgraded in August so i figured I would definitely be in and so did the JET coordinator at my consulate. But... months went by and no luck.

Consulates won't tell you exactly where you are on the list but may give you a general idea. And if you are next to be upgraded they tend to let you know so you can prepare.

Then I applied the second year and didn't even make it to the interview...

Ah well, third times a charm. Only applying this third time instead of my 'Plan B' due to urging from the JET coordinator.

Sloshed, how many other countries have you lived in?

I'd like to take this brief moment to explain to you guys that Japan is not the only country on earth. Sure, it's not a bad place, but having traveled a lot I can assure you that there are places that are equally as cool if not cooler (in my mind anyway).

My advice to those who do not get in on this year's intake: don't keep wasting time treading water just to get over to Japan. Pick up your shit and go travel South America or Europe. Why not spend some time in some random place like Finland or the Czech Republic? There's plenty of work to be had in Spain and the Greek Isles for some decent pay. You can work on your tan, get hot girls and party it up while you're at it.

You might find that it expands your horizons, you will probably get to travel to dozens of nearby countries while you're there and when you get back you'll have a shitload of life experience to drop on that JET application that will make you all the more likely to get in. Best of both worlds, see?

All I'm saying is, don't make JET and Japan your life. Otherwise I suspect you might be bitterly disappointed when you finally do get here.

Kiwis, I was born in Spain and traveled quite a bit since my mother was in the Navy. My main reason for Japan is that I am interested in TEFL as a career and the Asian market is the easiest to get into. I will get some experience and see if I want to get a degree in TEFL, then I will likely go to Europe.

The only reason I applied to JET a second time around was due to the application having started before I was done with my first attempt.

The past year its been a bit busy with family issues so I haven't been able to do the travelling I want to do. My job right now isn't bad and pays well enough to support me but definitely isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life.

My cousin, right now, is in Thailand and is teaching English there. My aunt is planning on visiting him in a couple of years and I'm planning on tagging along with her to see what it's like there. I'm not sure how the job actually works or the credentials. He never finished going to college, but I think he might be going to school over there now. He's in his early 30s now, btw.

I should find out his e-mail and ask him of the pros and cons of working there and compare it to what you all have said pertaining to JET.

At least I'll have some "travel experience" if I ever do get around to applying to JET: England, Bahamas, and Thailand.

VIP

Again, I encourage anyone from an English speaking country but especially the United States (damned foreign policy makes it harder to get visas abroad...) to check out the Bunac scheme (www.bunac.org). It allows you to live in other English speaking countries for up to a year, sometimes renewable until you're 30. Turn around from application to receiving your visa is about 2 weeks.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

I’ve got kind of a bizarre back up plan. If I don’t get into Jet I am going to be running/camping across America, from Seattle, Washington to Washing D.C. to raise money for an education initiative.

That sounds exactly like something I would've done back when I was about 23. Rock! Now I'm just too old. Actually not, I just have no desire for it.

I am 28, got my masters degree of social work at 24 and am about to get licensed Oregon. Right now I am working as a geriatric psycho-therapist for chronically ill and geriatric patients. I own a house and make good money (52$ hr, son!) but think I went at it all a bit fast. I am in the process of selling the house to get out of obligation. I just want to chill out for a bit. I figure I can come back and do the same things I am doing now after enjoying myself for a while. 40hr weeks doing something drag sucks! The Jet program (or teaching English in another capacity overseas) is a good chance to step back and enjoy a great experience before getting too bogged down with the real world. If I don't get in and find that other overseas options are not for me I will probably quit my current job and work as a bartender while living in a crappy apartment. AHHHH sounds like the life!!!

If I can't get into JET I'll probably try eikaiwa, but who knows what jobs are going to be available after the NOVA meltdown.

If eikaiwa is a no-go, I'll try to apply for a Federal job on one of the U.S. Military bases scattered around Japan working in the IT field, but I'm already trying to get out of that field now. The pay might be better, but it would be more difficult to learn Japanese and Japanese culture, etc. if I'm working with Americans and speaking nothing but English all day...
    Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Kiwis
    Sloshed, how many other countries have you lived in?

I'd like to take this brief moment to explain to you guys that Japan is not the only country on earth. Sure, it's not a bad place, but having traveled a lot I can assure you that there are places that are equally as cool if not cooler (in my mind anyway).

My advice to those who do not get in on this year's intake: don't keep wasting time treading water just to get over to Japan. Pick up your shit and go travel South America or Europe. Why not spend some time in some random place like Finland or the Czech Republic? There's plenty of work to be had in Spain and the Greek Isles for some decent pay. You can work on your tan, get hot girls and party it up while you're at it.

You might find that it expands your horizons, you will probably get to travel to dozens of nearby countries while you're there and when you get back you'll have a shitload of life experience to drop on that JET application that will make you all the more likely to get in. Best of both worlds, see?

All I'm saying is, don't make JET and Japan your life. Otherwise I suspect you might be bitterly disappointed when you finally do get here.
    Very well put. Why waste year after year putting all your eggs in one basket with JET. There are other countries and other programs. Think about it this way. If you didn't get a certain job or into a University in your home country you wouldn't keep applying to the same job/school if you had to wait 9 months each time to reapply.

Have a plan B.
    Genki?

I have my sights set on JET, but I want to have many contingency plans as possible. I am almost finished University, so I want to take a year off and be culture shocked in a new country.

If I don't get into JET, I plan on applying to some of the Eikaiwas. I might also try for teaching jobs in Korea or somewhere in China.

FiercestCalm

Default Re: What's your back up plan?

JET is my number one pick, followed by Amity, then AEON, then a smaller ALT prospect, then Interac. So far I've gotten interviews for all of them!